"RA D IOHE_AD IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part iv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
xaviMF22 said:

the vocal flourishes, no mumbling, lush, beautiful guitar, backing vocals/ondes...

not as fast as the live version

but it gets the job done :drool:

It's a great song, no doubt. I just don't care for the lack of electric guitar. It could really use some sweet feedback from Jonny. :drool:

On second listen, Videotape is even better. It's not brilliant, but it's still a really lovely song. Gorgeous lyrics and melody. Top notch.

mobvok said:

Definitely yes. I want to hear his voice without a metric ton of echo and blur fogging everything.

I think Nigel has stayed put his adamance on getting Thom's voice front and center. and clear.

its similar to The Eraser

LemonMelon said:

It's a great song, no doubt. I just don't care for the lack of electric guitar. It could really use some sweet feedback from Jonny. :drool:

On second listen, Videotape is even better. It's not brilliant, but it's still a really lovely song. Gorgeous lyrics and melody. Top notch.

videotape is a grower :yes:

Song ratings, before I get out of here for the night:

15 Step - 4/5
Bodysnatchers - 4.5/5
Nude - 5/5
Arpeggi - 4.5/5
All I Need - 8/5
Faust Arp - 4.5/5
Reckoner - 4/5
House Of Cards - 4.5/5
Jigsaw Falling Into Place - 4/5
Videotape - 4/5

1. All I Need
2. Nude
3. House Of Cards
4. Bodysnatchers
5. Arpeggi
6. Faust Arp
7. 15 Step
8. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
9. Reckoner
10. Videotape

Not a bad song on this thing. Wow.

FitzChivalry said:
Videotape you're killing me!

Why couldn't you let yourself run free like your brother, Street Spirit (Fade Out), and be as bombastic and glorious as you were meant to be? Why!

:sad:

(Did we really need Motion Picture Soundtrack Part II??? :no: )

out of all the album closers RH has

videotape is by far the weakest :(

LemonMelon said:
Song ratings, before I get out of here for the night:

15 Step - 4/5
Bodysnatchers - 4.5/5
Nude - 5/5
Arpeggi - 4.5/5
All I Need - 8/5
Faust Arp - 4.5/5
Reckoner - 4/5
House Of Cards - 4.5/5
Jigsaw Falling Into Place - 4/5
Videotape - 4/5

1. All I Need
2. Nude
3. House Of Cards
4. Bodysnatchers
5. Arpeggi
6. Faust Arp
7. 15 Step
8. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
9. Reckoner
10. Videotape

Not a bad song on this thing. Wow.

I love you dawg :hug:

goodnight

gonna listen to Nude now :drool:

xaviMF22 said:

I think Nigel has stayed put his adamance on getting Thom's voice front and center. and clear.

its similar to The Eraser

I've listened to a few more songs now, notably Jigsaw and Videotape, and happily can hear his voice. Overall, I've got a feeling that it's going to grow on me.

Except for the humming/moaning in a bunch of the songs. Don't want to sound like a broken record, but less of that would be nifty.

Sleep tight lemonmelon.

I LOVE YOU INTERFERENCE RADIOHEAD GUYS!

*dancing around playing 15 step loudly, neighbours must hate me*

Just look at all this nitpicking we've all been doing with this album. They're all good songs, no doubt, we can all admit that, but even xavi has a bone to pick with just about every track here.

I simply expect closer to perfection from a band as talented and battle-proven as Radiohead. This sounds like a sophomore recording for Christs sake.

FitzChivalry said:
God damn you Nude! Seriously fucking gorgeous!

:drool: :drool:

And All I Need you were SO worth the wait! :combust:

Thanks again, Xavi, for the links. YOU ROCK! :rockon:

Nite, Radioheaders. GO TO SLEEP! :lol:

Nude raped me :drool:

I'm going to try to listen to In Rainbows 15 times tomorrow. Making the total count go up to 17. :wink: It shall be epic.

Good night, everyone! :wave:

It's 9:30 am in Denmark. Finally time difference rocks my world.

I have a whole day of Radiohead coming up.

1.Reckoner
2.All I Need
3.Bodysnatchers
4.15 Step
5.Nude/Jigsaw
6.Faust Arp
7.Videotape
8.Arpeggi
9.House Of Cards

I am disappointed in Videotape. People made it out to be this incredible song. It's ok, sorta nice, nothing special, kind of boring actually. Motion Picture Soundtrack pwns Videotape.

I think All I Need and Reckoner are the only real classics here...both are truly great songs. They are, imo, the only true brilliance on this record. All I Need is dark and brooding while somehow simultaniously catchy as hell. Reckoner is basically one melody sung over and over again but that melody is so utterly fucking earth-shatteringly gorgeous and so fucking catchy that it doesn't matter. I could sing it all night long.

Thom's vocal in Bodysnatchers does nothing for me but GODDAMN the guitar riffs/chords/solo in this song are OFF THE FUCKING HOOK. Easily the greatest guitar-related thing RH have done since...jeez, maybe since The Bends(the record).

15 Step is a good opener...it is energetic, and I love the jazzy feel to it. The riff is catchy, and Thom's vocal has a real theatric vibe to it. Great opener.

I can sort of see the appeal of Nude - there are parts of it that are gorgeous, but as whole, there just isn't enough there for me. The most overrated track already.

Faust Arp is good...the melody and harmony of the instrumental is quite enjoyable, but I feel that Thom adds little to this song. The vocal melody is boring and sort of detracts from the experience of the instrumental melody/harmony, imo. As for the person that compared this to I Will...that's not really a good comparison. I Will is far more intense and, imo, far better.

Jigsaw, I think, is one of the more interesting tracks here, and I haven't really fully digested it yet. Not brilliant, maybe not even great, but not at all meh the way Videotape and House Of Cards are(imo).

Arpeggi was also disappointing. I just didn't feel like there was much there in comparison to what was expected.

House Of Cards does nothing for me as of now.

Overall, I could use a good deal more intensity...it just feels like they're meandering through some of these songs. Also, I miss Thom's non-falsetto voice. We heard very little of his lower register on this record, and we need to hear it more.

I guess I just don't hear/feel enough ambition here. Maybe it's just because I've been listening to Kid A and Amnesiac and OKC a lot the last few days and was expecting something that would match that ambition and intensity and other-worldly-ness. Half of this record is really very good, two songs being bonafide classics already, and the other half is, as Lance said, meh.

1.Kid A
2.OK Computer
3.Amnesiac
4.The Bends/Hail To The Thief
5.In Rainbows
6.Pablo Honey

hardyharhar said:
Lucky you God. You get an 8 hour head start :up:

How's wonderful Copenhagen? I was there once, over 30 years ago. Loved it.

Hehe, glad you did. Weather's all grey, and I don't wanna go to work. But it's good though. I honestly don't care if I'm stuck in a desert, today looks the best day in months. I wake up 2 and a half hours too early and In Rainbows is there.

I wasn't born 30 years ago though, so I don't know if it has improved. Hopefully it has. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom