R.E.M. Survivor - Monster - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pick your least favorite

• What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crush with Eyeliner

• Star 69

• Strange Currencies

• Let Me In

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always liked Crush With Eyeliner...I think it would make my top 3 on this album, but I don't expected it to move on.

Kenneth, Crush With Eyeliner, and Circus Envy are my 3 favs

I panicked when I saw it had a vote, until I saw you were the one responsible.

:lol::lol:
I kinda expected that one coming...
No idea so many of you liked it though. Monster is such a great album. One of their 5 best. Compared to the rest, this one's just weak.

Hope to see these proceeding:
Crush with Eyeliner... perfect, just perfect
King of Comedy
Strange Curriences

I wouldn't feel bad to see Circus Envy going through either.

Btw, since I wasn't posting lately:
Another EPIC fail eliminating Drive folks...

Circus Envy I suppose, because honestly, it's the only one on here I have absolutely no recollection of off the top of my head... must be more on the forgettable side.

My top three are probably:

1. Let Me In (miles ahead of anything else here)
2. Kenneth
3. I Don't Sleep, I Dream

although #3 could also be a number of others without bugging me.

1. Let Me In (miles ahead of anything else here)

Oh yeah, I forgot about 'Let Me In'. I liked the way they performed it live on their most recent tour. That would probably be #3 for me, behind WTFK? and Crush With Eyeliner.

The only song I've heard here is Kenneth, which I don't think it's as good a song as you all seem to, which just seems to sum up how I feel about Rapid eye Movement i guess.

I heard it was a song about a friend of the band's, who was getting bashed, and his attacked was screaming, what's the frequency kenneth, true?

I think it was Dan Rather, but yeah that's what it's about.

But you haven't heard New Adventures in Hi-Fi, which most fans rank as the BEST post-Automatic album, some even liking it better?

The fact that the three post-automatic albums I have are pretty much really poor album, I don't have much of an interesting in New Adventures. I mean I like the songs from it I've heard well enough but everything I've heard from their 80s albums is a lot better. And seeing as I won't be getting around to their 80s stuff anytime soon (my to listen to list is now 30 albums long), hearing New Adventures is a long way away

From Ask Yahoo:

What's the story behind R.E.M.'s song "What's the Frequency, Kenneth"?
Dana, Nashua, New Hampshire

Dear Dana:
CBS News anchor Dan Rather, renowned for his unusual expressions and sayings, has led a colorful life. However, one bizarre event really takes the cake.
One night in October 1986, Rather was walking down a Manhattan street when he was punched from behind and thrown to the ground. His assailant kicked and beat him while repeating, "Kenneth, what is the frequency?"

No one could explain the event, and the rumors flew fast and wide. Some speculated the assailant was a KGB agent, while others claimed the attack was the work of a jealous husband. Rather himself couldn't shed any light on the subject. His explanation at the time?

I got mugged. Who understands these things? I didn't and I don't now. I didn't make a lot of it at the time and I don't now. I wish I knew who did it and why, but I have no idea.
Apparently the strange event moved R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe, who said of the incident:

It remains the premier unsolved American surrealist act of the 20th century. It's a misunderstanding that was scarily random, media hyped and just plain bizarre.
The attack inspired the 1994 R.E.M. hit "What's the Frequency, Kenneth." Being a good sport, Dan Rather even accompanied the band when they performed the song on a Late Show with David Letterman appearance.

In 1997, based on a tip from a psychiatrist, Rather's attacker was identified as William Tager. According to the psychiatrist, Tager, who was currently serving time for killing an NBC stagehand, blamed news media for beaming signals into his head, and thought if he could just find out the correct frequency, he could block those signals that were constantly assailing him. Hence the enigmatic inquiry.

Hell yeah. I swooped in with (literally) a last minute vote to give us a double elimination.

I'll be expecting congratulatory prizes in the mail soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom