R.E.M. Survivor - Lifes Rich Pageant - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pick your least favorite

• Begin The Begin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • These Days

• Fall On Me

• Cuyahoga

• Hyena

• I Believe

• What If We Give It Away

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Last round, Maps And Legends was eliminated and Feeling Gravitys Pull, Driver 8, and Life And How To Live It went through to the final draw.

Votes:

Maps And Legends - 8
Feeling Gravitys Pull - 4
Driver 8 - 1

Final Draw:

Gardening At Night
Radio Free Europe
Pilgrimage
Perfect Circle
Sitting Still
Harborcoat
So. Central Rain
Pretty Persuasion
Feeling Gravitys Pull
Driver 8
Life And How To Live It

Lifes Rich Pageant came in second on the favorite R.E.M. albums poll, so four of its songs will proceed to the final draw.

Just a Touch
except for I Believe I don't like the second half of this album all that much

Superman. Such a throwaway, cheesy song and since it is a closer, it kinda ruins the final impression of the album. Otherwise it would have been a perfect album. Easily R.E.M.'s best.

Superman, pretty awful. It's not even their own song, it's a cover. As a rule, all covers should be eliminated before originals in my book. That's what devastated me about Beatles Survivor, people voted off some brilliant early Beatles tunes and we had all these covers poisoning the authenticity of the comp...just my two cents.

I actually agree somewhat with that sentiment. A part of me does think that any covers should be eliminated first. But, whatever. At least it's a really fun cover. And Mike Mills taking center stage is always a good thing.

The four that I want to see go through are Begin the Begin, Fall On Me, Swan Swan H, and Cuyahoga.

Shit, I forgot to vote. I'll go with Just A Touch.

Next up: either Underneath the Bunker or What If We Give It Away. And, as I said earlier, I wouldn't really mind if Superman got the boot, just because it isn't an R.E.M. song.

Yeah, Superman probably shouldn't be included. I like it, but I always stop listening to the album after Swan Swan H is over.

My choices to move on:

Begin the Begin
I Believe
The Flowers of Guatemala
These Days

You don't want Fall On Me to advance? C'mon. It's an undeniable classic.

I guess the Laz version of the song would be called FAIL On Me.

This is the only REM album I ever owned :shrug:

Don't even remember the second half, but the first 3 songs are worth the price of admission. I love These Days.

But I'm not voting cuz I don't remember the other songs very well. Maybe after a few rounds.

My top four:

Begin The Begin
These Days
Cuyahoga
What If We Give It Away?

Superman is great, but certainly not worthy of making it to the final draw.

Fall On Me is fine, but it doesn't make much of an impression. Cuyahoga on the other hand...one of my favorite REM songs. Sad to see that one isn't getting much support on people's top 4 lists.

Even though it doesnt matter this late in the voting, Underneath the Bunker is the weakest track IMO, and is getting my vote.

I always liked Just A Touch, although it still probably ranks 8th or 9th for me

My top four would probably be:

Begin The Begin
Fall On Me
Cuyahoga
I Believe

In regards to covers, I tend to disagree with the other posts. This isn't a songwriting survivor; it's performance-based. Some of the greatest songs that artists have done were written by others. If this was a Jimi Hendrix survivor, would you think that All Along The Watchtower should be the first to go?

I enjoy Superman, and would like to see it stick around for a few rounds, because it's a good song with a good performance from the band, plain and simple.

Wait, people actually like Swan Swan H?

The four I'd like to see proceed are Fall On Me, Cuyahoga, Flowers Of Guatemala ... and probably Begin The Begin fourth.

Underneath the Bunker is like We Walk for me. Yeah, it's fluff compared to REM, but I like to see them having some fun in their more dour 80s years before they started going for obvious pop hits.

Laz is correct regarding Flowers of Guatemala. It's beautiful and shouldn't be voted out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom