R.E.M. Survivor - Accelerate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Select Which Song(s) You'd Like To See Advance To the Finals

• Living Well Is the Best Revenge

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Man-Sized Wreath

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Supernatural Superserious

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Hollow Man

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Houston

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Accelerate

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Until the Day Is Done

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Mr. Richards

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Sing For the Submarine

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Horse to Water

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I'm Gonna DJ

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think of my idea a few posts up? Just doing them manually (i.e., I list the songs, people type their choice to go, rather than clicking a ticky box on a poll) and then when we get down to 30 songs, we go back to the official polls?

I'm not sure what you mean. Why would we go back to the bottom songs, the ones that got voted out first?

The songs that did worst but still qualified, they're obviously the most unpopular songs of the ones that got through, so they should be the ones that have to compete again for a place

Actually, I think that Irishteen's idea is a good way to go. We could go back and see which songs that qualified as finalists actually fared the poorest and group them together in a sort of mini-losers bracket.

So ( and I just went back and looked at the last four albums) it would be Sing for the Sub off of Accelerate, Electron Blue for ATS, Imitation of Life for Reveal, and Suspicion for Up, and they would be in the lower bracket. And then I could go back and look at what the poorest performing song is on all the other albums. Hell, I've got the time. And they're all saved on the site somewhere.

Oh, gotcha. I didn't record how many votes each winner got, and I think there are so few people voting in this tournament that we'd end up with a boatload of songs in the bottom with the same number of votes, you know?

Edit: I guess I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by "poorest performing." Do you mean how many songs won with just four votes or something, as opposed to 10 people voting for it?

The poorest performing finalist from each album would be the one that received the most amount of elimination votes throughout each entire album voting cycle. Like, remember when Nightswimming barely squeaked into the finals for AFTP? It would be the "poorest performing" finalist from AFTP because more people voted to eliminate it than they did Find The River, Man on the Moon, etc.

oh, okay. If you're willing to dig up that data, I'm willing to give it a shot.

I'm still tempted to just run them all down through regular rounds, starting manually. So far, no one has piped up with a reason why it wouldn't work. I think it's the most straight-forward "fair" way to do it.

I know I'm pushing towards the one I suggested, because it really seems the easiest. There might be a few more rounds that way, but the rounds are only a day.

Yeah, your idea would be the fairest but I'm just worried that we won't get very many write-in votes for each round. There's no doubt that we get more votes for this thing because people get satisfaction out of clicking on the little boxes. I guess the handful of us that have been participating regularly would still manually type in their votes. And then, like you said, once we get to the Top 30 we can go back to the fun clicky boxes.

So, yeah. That works. But I'm also going to go back and figure out the poorest performing song from each album just because I'm bored and I kinda want to do it. I don't know why I've become so motivated all of a sudden, though. Why didn't I have this much interest in statistics my sophomore year of High School when I got a C in Mr. Ruis' class?

Oh, I didn't really take into consideration that there were people voting who didn't necessary talk about it in the thread, so that's a good point.

I'm going to be gone most of the day tomorrow, so if you want to wait a bit to see if anyone else has anything brilliant to suggest that would eliminate all that work, that would be cool.

Or, if you're super gung-ho about it, knock yourself out. :)

Alright, I guess I'm a freak because I just went through every R.E.M. Survivor thread and made a bunch of tally marks and calculated a bunch of shit. I don't even know if this means anything or helps us with anything but I did it anyway and I guess it was kinda fun. I also double checked my work.

From all the albums that we did full-on votes for (everything except for Reveal, ATS, Accelerate) we had 40 songs qualify for the finals. Here are the total amount of elimination votes each of those finalists received throughout all of their album rounds. Most albums had between 6 and 8 rounds:

Radio Free Europe - 0 (So this means that no one ever voted for Radio Free Europe and so on...)
Pilgrimage - 7
Perfect Circle - 7
Sitting Still - 9

Harborcoat - 1
Pretty Persuasion - 0
So. Central Rain - 6

Feeling Gravity's Pull - 7
Driver 8 - 1
Life and How to Live it - 0

Begin the Begin - 1
These Days - 2
Fall On Me - 3
Cuyahoga - 0

Finest Worksong - 3
Welcome to the Occupation - 9
End of the World - 3
The One I Love - 3

You Are The Everything - 9
World Leader Pretend - 3
Orange Crush - 1

Losing My Religion - 2
Texarkana - 2
Country Feedback - 8

Try Not To Breathe - 1
Man on the Moon - 5
Nightswimming - 19
Find the River - 3

What's the Frequency, Kenneth? - 2
Crush With Eyeliner - 7
Strange Currencies - 12

Undertow - 1
Leave - 11
E-Bow The Letter - 0
Electrolite - 4

Suspicion - 13
Sad Professor - 2

So if we were to make a 14 song bracket composed of the finalist from each album that performed the worst it would be:

Sitting Still
So. Central Rain
Feeling Gravity's Pull
Fall On Me
Welcome to the Occupation
You Are the Everything
Country Feedback
Nightswimming
Strange Currencies
Leave
Suspicion
Imitation of Life
Electron Blue
Sing for the Submarine

But then how many songs would advance from that "loser's bracket"? Why did I just do all that work? Should we just do the manual voting thing? Would Peter Buck laugh at me if he knew what I just spent the last 45 minutes of my life doing? Is it too late to order a pizza?

:lol:

Peter would probably throw yogurt at you.

Thanks for doing that. I don't know what it all means. Let's all sleep on it. Maybe in the morning someone with another opinion or the insight to make it all seem easy and clear will show up and bless us with that info.

dang, missed it. would have voted for supernatural, accelerate, submarine probably, houston, maybe living well too.

doubt i'll ever be anything more than a very casual rem fan

Pilgrimage
Perfect Circle
Sitting Still
Harborcoat
So. Central Rain
Feeling Gravity's Pull
Driver 8
These Days
Fall On Me
Welcome to the Occupation
You Are The Everything
World Leader Pretend
Losing My Religion
Texarkana
Country Feedback
Man on the Moon
Nightswimming
Crush With Eyeliner
Strange Currencies
Leave
Electrolite
Suspicion
Sad Professor
The Lifting
Imitation of Life
Leaving New York
Electron Blue
Sing for the Submarine
Living Well's the Best Revenge

That could work as a 29 song semi-final with the top 16 getting through giving us a 30 song final

Spell it out for me like I'm a 5-year-old, Irishteen. What did you do there to come up with that list?

Bear with me - it's late and I'm tired, having been driving around the state all day. :)

Spell it out for me like I'm a 5-year-old, Irishteen. What did you do there to come up with that list?

Bear with me - it's late and I'm tired, having been driving around the state all day. :)

Those are the songs that received the most votes (coming from GAF's listing) in the early rounds of the survivor (the vote for your least favourite song). I took the two highest from each album (if there was a draw I took the three highest, if it was more than 3 I just used one) and I used both songs that made it through from the albums where only two songs qualified.

Unless I miscounted (possible) we have 43 songs overall, that means we need to get rid of 13.

The list I gave has the 29 songs that "performed worst" for lack of a better term. If we narrow that list down to just the top 16 songs we should have a 30 song final

Why so little love for Supernatural Superserious? It has a great, accessible sound, but with some very affecting personal lyrics. It fucking rocks.

That, Hollow Man, and Mr. Richards are my favorites, and the title track.

But the whole thing is an awesome, quick-ride driving album.

I did, as a form of protest over my disappiontment of the album.

Okay, per El Mel he had planned on splitting up the finalists chronologically, so there'd be two groups in the finals. 80s vs 90s or however it would break down. Then the two winners would face off against each other.

What say you? It's not ideal, as the songs aren't all really facing each other, but it's another option.

That would be super-fantastic-awesome if you could. Use whatever method you want to either run it as one giant final, or however you want to winnow it down.

:)

In case you hadn't caught it, the complete list of songs that made the finals is post #20 in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom