R.E.M.- Second Biggest Band in the World?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Final Straw

The Fly
Ok, even though my big love is REM, U2 being my second fave band closely behind, i can admit that U2 are definately the BIGGEST band in the world. And frankly, i'm proud since their from Ireland.

However, who is the second biggest after them? R.E.M. perhaps? or am i just dillusional? I honestly can't think of a bigger one. Coldplay certainly haven't reached their heights especially with X and Y being slated by many in America lately. So, REM?

PS: Were talking about purely bands that are still on the go.:wink:

I love REM almost as much as U2 (but not quite) but how can they be the 2nd biggest? :huh: They've faded into the land of obscurity!

It's probably the Stones or something.

Zootlesque said:
I love REM almost as much as U2 (but not quite) but how can they be the 2nd biggest? :huh: They've faded into the land of obscurity!

Na i disagree, the band are still big all over the world(Especially in Europe). It's really only in America that the band have faded a lot from the public eye, but even then, they still sell out big places in the States.
The Stones would def have a say though.

Okay, maybe i phrased it wrong. Maybe REM are no longer the 2nd biggest 'commercially' (in terms of record sales) band in the world, but in terms of their 'name'. The brandname 'REM' if you will. There's no way Green day or Coldplay come near them in terms of stature.

Your right about the Stones though. Okay, so REM 3rd biggest band in world? lol I'm losing this one! :wink:

Last edited:
REM is not even in the top 20 anymore in terms of popularity.

Take their last album, "Around The Sun", it only sold about 2 million copies worldwide. It failed to even get a Gold Record in the United States or Canada. They have strong concert attendance in Europe, but thats about it. The last time you could even discuss REM being in the top 10 or top 5 was about 10 years ago. The mega years for REM were from 1991 to 1996.

i don't know about you guys, but thinking that maybe...just maybe...we live in a society, no, a WORLD where green day is the second biggest band makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

TheBrazilianFly said:
U2 is the second biggest band in the world.... or is it The Stones? :hmm:

Anyway those are the two biggest bands in the world.

If one was just talking about concert drawing power, then they are the two biggest bands. But the most popular artist or band is determined by two things, concert drawing power AND Album sales.

The Rolling Stones latest album "A Bigger Bang" has sold about as well as REM's "Around The Sun" did, about 2 million copies worldwide. This drags their overall average down significantly to the point that they would not be in the top 5, and probably no higher than #10.

U2 on the other hand has outstanding concert drawing power, perhaps the best in the world or 2nd best. Then their album selling strength of the current album is also very strong as well, with between 9 and 10 million copies of HTDAAB sold worldwide. U2's huge concert drawing power + their equally strong sales of their current album, are what make them the most popular band on the planet. The biggest bands in the world are the ones that have the best average of both, worldwide.

Se7en said:
i don't know about you guys, but thinking that maybe...just maybe...we live in a society, no, a WORLD where green day is the second biggest band makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.
i think that's called nausea, mr. se7en.

don't worry, it'll pass.

:sexywink:

DignityPassesBy said:
Paul McCartney would have to be up there wouldn't he?

Except....he's not a band!

His former group that started with a 'B' shits all over anything that has been mentioned in this thread, though :drool:

Final Straw said:
Ok, even though my big love is REM, U2 being my second fave band closely behind, i can admit that U2 are definately the BIGGEST band in the world. And frankly, i'm proud since their from Ireland.

However, who is the second biggest after them? R.E.M. perhaps? or am i just dillusional? I honestly can't think of a bigger one. Coldplay certainly haven't reached their heights especially with X and Y being slated by many in America lately. So, REM?

PS: Were talking about purely bands that are still on the go.:wink:

I agree with everything you said here, except I'm not from Ireland.

Re: Re: R.E.M.- Second Biggest Band in the World?

U2 Beginner said:

I agree with everything you said here, except I'm not from Ireland.

Wahay somebody agrees!

With regards to Green Day being the second biggest!....Oh please!!!!!! Frankly, any world where Green Day is even mentioned in the top 100 biggest bands at the moment is a bad one!

Also regarding the other point that REM could be mentioned ten years ago, i disagree. 10 or so years ago, REM WERE the biggest in the world along side U2.

However despite all this, i'm not that dillusional and i do realise that their popularity has declined hugely with Around The Sun. An album i can even admit is very weak, compared to their previous efforts. In saying that, it's still better than half the other shit out nowaday's.

I do agree that the Stones are bigger, of course. In terms of 'stature' though, there has been no other example which i can see as bigger than REM(Again, in terms of 'stature' or their 'name'.) Definately not Green Day, and for the love of God not Coldplay.

Around the Sun is a fine album. Most people just didn't listen to the songs enough times, decided instead that they didn't like it immediately, helped along by incompetent music journalists.

:tsk:

U2Man said:
Around the Sun is a fine album. Most people just didn't listen to the songs enough times,

Is that really a sign of a good album? If it has to grow on you?

doubleU said:

Is that really a sign of a good album? If it has to grow on you?

I am saying that you have to listen to this album enough in order to realize how good it is. Even some of the best albums (by general consensus) in the history of music are like that.

U2Man said:

I am saying that you have to listen to this album enough in order to realize how good it is. Even some of the best albums (by general consensus) in the history of music are like that.

To me, if you can't appreciate it by first of second listen it can't be that great of an album.

Did you notice all the beauty in Kid A or Amnesiac by your first or second listen? (assuming that you like these albums, of course :wink: )

U2Man said:
Did you notice all the beauty in Kid A or Amnesiac by your first or second listen? (assuming that you like these albums, of course :wink: )

I fell in love with Kid A at first listen. Amnesiac, I don't consider great. It has it's moments but isn't a great album.

I agree that most albums take time to truly grow on you. I dont feel that with most albums you can tell that they're truly great just by the first listen. You need to give albums a chance.

The two biggest bands right now are first, U2 (obviously) and I'm sorry to say but, Coldplay are probably second most popular as much as I love R.E.M.

There are certainly albums that are growers, and R.E.M.'s Fables of the Reconstruction was one for me. But Around the Sun is not a grower. There are no signs of vitality on the album, and while the songs and performances aren't terrible, they just don't stand out. The loss of Bill Berry mortally wounded this band, and only Up has any merit to me because the band was continuing to explore new avenues and try different things on every song. The last two albums are too homogenic, and just don't offer up as many individual gems as R.E.M. albums have in the past.

I'm not saying they have to compete for U2's "Best Band in the World" job, but they could at least sound more than one step away from retirement.

Back
Top Bottom