R.E.M.- Second Biggest Band in the World?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R.E.M.- Second Biggest Band in the World?

barlowdog said:

:lol: Thanks. I'm glad somebody picked up on that.

Oh, I picked up on that but just "chuckled." Besides, I was only the drummer in that band. And uh, let's face it, I'm above drummer status!!

It's such a nice day to go out surfing!!!

- Ed Vedder

MumblingBono said:
Headache - isn't Bon Jovi still HUGE in NYC/New Jersey? They can fill the Meadowlands for weeks on end. I've always been kind of amused by that...

new york, no... new jersey, yes.

perhaps a map will help you better understand...

bonjovspringstania.jpg

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i like REM and all, and they may certainly still put on a great show live for all i know... but frankly at this point they're probably not even as popular as bon jovi... which is sad, but probably true.

:waitsimpatientlyforsting2statistics:

Bon Jovi is actually one of the strongest concert attractions on the planet. Stadiums are always played in Europe, and surprisingly, their back to being able to play some stadium shows in the biggest cities in North America, as well as doing strong business on the Arena circuit. Sales of the latest album are not great, but still significantly better than REM's. Believe it are not, Bon Jovi are actually in the top 10, do mainly to their concert selling strength.

STING2 said:

Bon Jovi is actually one of the strongest concert attractions on the planet. Stadiums are always played in Europe, and surprisingly, their back to being able to play some stadium shows in the biggest cities in North America, as well as doing strong business on the Arena circuit. Sales of the latest album are not great, but still significantly better than REM's. Believe it are not, Bon Jovi are actually in the top 10, do mainly to their concert selling strength.

Is there a way to use the album sales combined with concert draw (tickets sold) criteria and stretch it beyond current album and tour figures to include a band's career album sales and career tour numbers? It'd be interesting to see how some of the "big" artists/bands of yesteryear measure up with today's top acts. In other words, take Pink Floyd, Led Zep, etc and weigh their album/tour numbers against today's heavyweights like Green Day, U2, and so on. Is this possible or are we getting into too many estimates and variables?

Thats the way he talks, give him a break, the man's a living legend...........just like yourself Roy:wink: (Come on United!)

barlowdog said:

Is there a way to use the album sales combined with concert draw (tickets sold) criteria and stretch it beyond current album and tour figures to include a band's career album sales and career tour numbers? It'd be interesting to see how some of the "big" artists/bands of yesteryear measure up with today's top acts. In other words, take Pink Floyd, Led Zep, etc and weigh their album/tour numbers against today's heavyweights like Green Day, U2, and so on. Is this possible or are we getting into too many estimates and variables?

I'd say we would be getting into too many estimates and variables. A list could definitely be done, simply by adding up total album sales and total number of tickets sold over a bands career, but there are several problems with this.

1) Led Zep, Pink Floyd, and U2 will obviously be way ahead of new artist like Coldplay or Snow Patrol, as will dozens or more other artist simply because they have been around longer, so there is little purpose in making such comparisons except for those ALL TIME list.

2) There are many differences in the different decades of the music business. Back in the 1960s and 1970s, the population of was much smaller. The record buying public per capita was also much smaller then as well. Artist back then on average could not sell as many albums or tickets as the average artist can today. The otherside of that issue though is that these artist have been around longer of course and have had more time to sell albums over the years.

3) Many artist chose not to tour for years, or more than a decade, for reasons that had nothing to do with the business. In addition, tours back in the 1960s and 1970s were never on the same scale of average tours today. Tours back then had fewer shows and played to smaller venues usually. Consider the fact that the U2 will likely have sold more concert tickets on the Vertigo Tour (4.5 million) than Led Zep did during their entire career. Led Zep only played 13 shows in stadium sized venues during their entire career. They rarely toured after 1975 and then broke up in 1980. I don't have the exact figures, so that might be a slight exaggeration, but its not far off and it probably is correct.

Its far easier and very accurate to use "current tour sales/current album sales" as the basis for determining current popularity and that is the standard the industry uses. Also, if your no longer a band, then your no longer in the game obviously.

An All Time list can obviously be done, but obtaining all the figures and adjusting for changes in the business over the decades makes doing such a list difficult and leaves it open to lots of debate. Veteran artist would dominate the list simply because of the greater amount of time they have been in the business compared to younger artist.

STING2 said:

I'd say we would be getting into too many estimates and variables. A list could definitely be done, simply by adding up total album sales and total number of tickets sold over a bands career, but there are several problems with this.

1) Led Zep, Pink Floyd, and U2 will obviously be way ahead of new artist like Coldplay or Snow Patrol, as will dozens or more other artist simply because they have been around longer, so there is little purpose in making such comparisons except for those ALL TIME list.

2) There are many differences in the different decades of the music business. Back in the 1960s and 1970s, the population of was much smaller. The record buying public per capita was also much smaller then as well. Artist back then on average could not sell as many albums or tickets as the average artist can today. The otherside of that issue though is that these artist have been around longer of course and have had more time to sell albums over the years.

3) Many artist chose not to tour for years, or more than a decade, for reasons that had nothing to do with the business. In addition, tours back in the 1960s and 1970s were never on the same scale of average tours today. Tours back then had fewer shows and played to smaller venues usually. Consider the fact that the U2 will likely have sold more concert tickets on the Vertigo Tour (4.5 million) than Led Zep did during their entire career. Led Zep only played 13 shows in stadium sized venues during their entire career. They rarely toured after 1975 and then broke up in 1980. I don't have the exact figures, so that might be a slight exaggeration, but its not far off and it probably is correct.

Its far easier and very accurate to use "current tour sales/current album sales" as the basis for determining current popularity and that is the standard the industry uses. Also, if your no longer a band, then your no longer in the game obviously.

An All Time list can obviously be done, but obtaining all the figures and adjusting for changes in the business over the decades makes doing such a list difficult and leaves it open to lots of debate. Veteran artist would dominate the list simply because of the greater amount of time they have been in the business compared to younger artist.

Excellent points! Thanks for the well thought out answer and the input on the mammoth task this would be.

I think in order to determine this you do have to work somewhat in hypotheticals.

My own criteria would be: who, if they were releasing a standard studio album (not their best, not their worst) and were putting tour tickets out, all over the world tomorrow, would sell the most?

U2 would be way out in front because of a consistency on both fronts. Then I think it gets interesting. I don't know if I'm going to have things thrown at me for this comment, but why have the Red Hot Chili Peppers received so little attention in this debate. Having seen them put tickets with some smaller stadium dates on sale this week even before the album is released, and their huge Hyde park shows just two years ago they've got to get a mention surely. Is their pulling power in the UK that much greater than the rest of the world?

Westport said:

Most teenagers in the U.S. don't even know REM. That alone shows you how much their star has faded.

:yes:
From my experience in the high schools around town and freshmen on campus, most teenagers in Athens, Georgia don't know who REM are.

STING2 said:

see? i told ya

I reckon the 3 biggest bands in the world at the moment are:

1. Green Day
2. U2
3. Coldplay

Remember, this is not necessarilly the best bands in the word at the moment, but merely the biggest.

So don't start attacking me like they disgracefully attacked John Lennon 40 years ago.....he nerely stated that the Beatles were bigger than Jesus, not better.

(Even though I reckon the Beatles have done much more good for humanity than Jesus ever did, and the Beatlesare so much better than that long deceased chap.)

intedomine said:
I reckon the 3 biggest bands in the world at the moment are:

1. Green Day
2. U2
3. Coldplay

Remember, this is not necessarilly the best bands in the word at the moment, but merely the biggest.

So don't start attacking me like they disgracefully attacked John Lennon 40 years ago.....he nerely stated that the Beatles were bigger than Jesus, not better.

(Even though I reckon the Beatles have done much more good for humanity than Jesus ever did, and the Beatlesare so much better than that long deceased chap.)

Here are the 2005 Gross and Attendance figures for the tours by U2, Green Day and Coldplay.

U2 "Vertigo Tour"

Gross: $294,795,607
Attendance: 3,414,556

Green Day "American Idiot Tour"

Gross: $36,537,583
Attendance: 978,513

Coldplay "X&Y Tour"

Gross: $23,573,443
Attendance: 580,730

Its absurd to even mention Green Day and Coldplay in the same sentence as U2 when talking about who is the biggest. Every U2 show was also a sellout, while Green Day and Coldplay only soldout about half of their shows. Hell, even if you were to combine Green Day's and Coldplay's tour figures for 2005, the Vertigo tour was still 5 times bigger in terms of Gross, and more than twice as big in terms of attendance.

Maoilbheannacht said:

Here are the 2005 Gross and Attendance figures for the tours by U2, Green Day and Coldplay.

U2 "Vertigo Tour"

Gross: $294,795,607
Attendance: 3,414,556

Green Day "American Idiot Tour"

Gross: $36,537,583
Attendance: 978,513

Coldplay "X&Y Tour"

Gross: $23,573,443
Attendance: 580,730

Its absurd to even mention Green Day and Coldplay in the same sentence as U2 when talking about who is the biggest. Every U2 show was also a sellout, while Green Day and Coldplay only soldout about half of their shows. Hell, even if you were to combine Green Day's and Coldplay's tour figures for 2005, the Vertigo tour was still 5 times bigger in terms of Gross, and more than twice as big in terms of attendance.

Good evidence, but what about the albums sales for each of the band's most recent album. I'm sure they would be a lot closer and it is certainyl something which must be taken into consideration

Back
Top Bottom