R.E.M. or Coldplay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Umm, wow! Is this even a real question? I mean, holy hell, R.E.M. are fucking legends! Murmur, Life's Rich Pageant, Out of Time, Automatic for the People, New Adventures in Hi-Fi, Up...these are some of the greatest albums of all time. Coldplay has made two great albums and a fairly mediocre album, all with pretty lame lyrics. Seriously, give Coldplay another 15 years to grow and maybe this comparison will be worth making. But as it stands, Coldplay isn't worthy enough to touch Peter Buck's guitar pick.

Just go listen to Find the River. If Chris Martin can write a song 1/10 as good as that, I'll be truely flabbergasted!

Lancemc said:
Umm, wow! Is this even a real question? I mean, holy hell, R.E.M. are fucking legends! Murmur, Life's Rich Pageant, Out of Time, Automatic for the People, New Adventures in Hi-Fi, Up...these are some of the greatest albums of all time. Coldplay has made two great albums and a fairly mediocre album, all with pretty lame lyrics. Seriously, give Coldplay another 15 years to grow and maybe this comparison will be worth making. But as it stands, Coldplay isn't worthy enough to touch Peter Buck's guitar pick.

Just go listen to Find the River. If Chris Martin can write a song 1/10 as good as that, I'll be truely flabbergasted!

:sad:

I WILL TRIE TO FIXX U!!1!

inmyplace13 said:

Furthermore, I have no clue why people sweat all over REM as much as they do. I've tried to get into them, listened to a few albums several time, and I really can't see why people classify them as "legendary".

Actually, I've heard this from a huge amount of people. It really seems to be a "generation gap" type thing. A few of my friends who are just 3 or 4 years younger than me hate REM with a passion and think of them as "lame 90's radio rock". I know that probably sounds extremely harsh to those of us who grew up following REM from their indie/underground/alternative roots to superstardom, but that's still just how some people view them. And truth be told, I'm not surprised at all that that's how a number of people of that age group think of them considering they've done nothing for a decade to prove to a younger audience that they deserve the title of "legends". It's also quite arguable that most of their "big hits" have not aged well by any sense, thus turning off casual listeners who have only heard those songs. I too don't really like listening to 'Everybody Hurts' at all any more, and that song was literally an anthem of epic proportions when it came out. It's also quite debatable that they (and U2, but that's an arguement for another place) haven't really had as much influence on music as everyone presumed they would in the 80's and 90's or as their fans still somehow think they've had.

I'm going to clarify some things here, I personally DO consider a number of REM albums as legendary and think they blow any albums Coldplay has ever released completely out of the water (Murmur, Reckoning, Document, Automatic for the People, etc). REM was easily in my top 2 or 3 bands up until Reveal was released. I know I'm only speaking for myself, but 3 mediocre albums in a row has truely even ruined a number of their old albums for me (similarly to how the horrificaly bad Star Wars prequals have in many ways ruined a lot of the "legendary" status many had given the originals, hence my earlier comparison to George Lucas...). While I do realize that there are a number of people out there who may possibly like their last 3 albums on their own merits, I have a hard time personally believing they'd like them if they weren't REM albums (I think this because I've finally come to the realization that even though I do still do like Up quite a bit, I would think it was complete garbage if it wasn't made by REM).

Regardless of what side of the fence you sit on with how REM and U2's "recent works" compare to their past catalogue, I think most can admit the many similarities in how the directions these bands have taken have alienated a number of their long time fans. While I do think Gickies assessment that "rem now make music for themselves and that u2 now make music for america" is quite accurate, I have a hard time really seeing any difference as the end result has been almost identical. In both cases it seems the bands have at least in some way lost sight of how they used to make music and are now just "trying to be REM" or "trying to be U2" instead of just doing it. It also seems a bit apparent that both are having a hard time finding out what that means or how to do it, and it's likely they never will. (I realize this last bit is all just my crappy impression of the "state of the union" of two of my all time favorite groups)

Last edited:
inmyplace13 said:

Coldplay's finest songs aren't singles. Often, they're not even on albums.

Examples: I'd take Talk single b-side "Sleeping Sun" over any of the trash on X&Y (except "Low" and "Til Kingdom Come") any day. "Warning Sign" is a song near the tail end of AROBTTH and, despite being one of the two or three best songs on the record, is never talked about.

A lot of people judge Coldplay on the face value of their singles. That's not necessarily the wrong thing to do, as that's what a single is actually for, to get you to judge an artist based on the one song/video. But the reason I like Coldplay as much as I do is because of the stellar, unsung work laying deep in their catalogue.

Furthermore, I have no clue why people sweat all over REM as much as they do. I've tried to get into them, listened to a few albums several time, and I really can't see why people classify them as "legendary".

Yeah, I agree with you for the most part, I enjoy Coldplay's albums over singles tenfold, but sometimes Chris Martin's lyrics / vocal abilities really get to me. Truth be told, Stipe's vocals after Reveal are a bit harsh too, (listen to Animal :yikes: )

But sometimes it takes one song or body of work (X&Y and Fix You in particular) to ruin one's opinion of a band.

I really got into R.E.M. pretty recently, I knew the major hits and enjoyed them, but dug deeper into their catalogue like I had done for Coldplay and just loved them.

Find the River is what solidified my R.E.M. fandom, which seems pretty common around here :wink:

No doubt about it, REM. Coldplay has one amazing album, one good one, and one decent one. REM has at least 5 albums that I love. Automatic for the People is such a perfect album.

u2popmofo said:

Actually, I've heard this from a huge amount of people. It really seems to be a "generation gap" type thing. A few of my friends who are just 3 or 4 years younger than me hate REM with a passion and think of them as "lame 90's radio rock". I know that probably sounds extremely harsh to those of us who grew up following REM from their indie/underground/alternative roots to superstardom, but that's still just how some people view them. And truth be told, I'm not surprised at all that that's how a number of people of that age group think of them considering they've done nothing for a decade to prove to a younger audience that they deserve the title of "legends". It's also quite arguable that most of their "big hits" have not aged well by any sense, thus turning off casual listeners who have only heard those songs. I too don't really like listening to 'Everybody Hurts' at all any more, and that song was literally an anthem of epic proportions when it came out. It's also quite debatable that they (and U2, but that's an arguement for another place) haven't really had as much influence on music as everyone presumed they would in the 80's and 90's or as their fans still somehow think they've had.

I'm going to clarify some things here, I personally DO consider a number of REM albums as legendary and think they blow any albums Coldplay has ever released completely out of the water (Murmur, Reckoning, Document, Automatic for the People, etc). REM was easily in my top 2 or 3 bands up until Reveal was released. I know I'm only speaking for myself, but 3 mediocre albums in a row has truely even ruined a number of their old albums for me (similarly to how the horrificaly bad Star Wars prequals have in many ways ruined a lot of the "legendary" status many had given the originals, hence my earlier comparison to George Lucas...). While I do realize that there are a number of people out there who may possibly like their last 3 albums on their own merits, I have a hard time personally believing they'd like them if they weren't REM albums (I think this because I've finally come to the realization that even though I do still do like Up quite a bit, I would think it was complete garbage if it wasn't made by REM).

Regardless of what side of the fence you sit on with how REM and U2's "recent works" compare to their past catalogue, I think most can admit the many similarities in how the directions these bands have taken have alienated a number of their long time fans. While I do think Gickies assessment that "rem now make music for themselves and that u2 now make music for america" is quite accurate, I have a hard time really seeing any difference as the end result has been almost identical. In both cases it seems the bands have at least in some way lost sight of how they used to make music and are now just "trying to be REM" or "trying to be U2" instead of just doing it. It also seems a bit apparent that both are having a hard time finding out what that means or how to do it, and it's likely they never will. (I realize this last bit is all just my crappy impression of the "state of the union" of two of my all time favorite groups)
Reveal and Around the Sun aren't that great, but I think Up is very high quality, perhaps even in my top 3 of their albums.

Hey U2POPMOFO you forgot to mention Life's Rich Pagent for crying in the soup. Better than any of the R.E.M. albums you mentioned. O.K. maybe not better than Automatic but hey.

Harry Vest said:
Hey U2POPMOFO you forgot to mention Life's Rich Pagent for crying in the soup. Better than any of the R.E.M. albums you mentioned. O.K. maybe not better than Automatic but hey.

Strangely I prefer all of the other REM albums I mentioned to Automatic (I almost didn't include it). Not a big fan of Life's Rich Pageant for some reason. Maybe I'll listen to it tonight.

Good post, Mofo! You sound like a pretty big REM fan. I'm surprised you prefer Coldplay. Really! :wink:

As for the U2 & REM comparison, they were definitely both at the top of their game when Achtung & Automatic were released, weren't they? :drool: REM nowadays sound disinterested, somewhat disconnected with the world and as if still in mourning or something that Berry left (at least from whatever I've heard so far after New Adventures)! U2 sound like they're not following their own creative instincts and are pandering to the American public. Pearl Jam & RHCP seem to be the most interesting bands right now.

It still amazes me how the Chili Peppers, R.E.M., and U2 are around the same ages, but are at way different points in their careers right now.

Hey xavi! 409 bitch!!! :p

xaviMF22 said:

radiohead bitch:wink:

Oh yeah, them too! :shifty: The thing with Radiohead is that if I'm in that mood, I really really enjoy their music but if I want to listen to something happy with big guitars, then not so much...

Zootlesque said:
You sound like a pretty big REM fan. I'm surprised you prefer Coldplay. Really! :wink:

Honestly, that's the whole reason I do prefer Coldplay. Listening to old REM records just ends up bumming me out or ticking me off because I hate to think of where they've wandered off to compared to where they once were. Quite honestly though, I rarely listen to either group.

And though I always say this, I feel I have to again. I like REM's first two albums more than anything else they've ever done and ever probably will do.

Chris Martin went to a store looking for something that says "daddy likes leather"

martinlikesleatheroa3.png

Now he's just a Leather Daddy.

AtomicBono said:
well if you grew up with it that explains your attachment to it, but personally I think it's a terribly cliche song, like it's trying way too hard to be universal.

I'd like to get back to Everybody Hurts for a moment here. I know what you're saying that I grew up watching the video and so I like it. But I still disagree that it is a terribly cliche song. You gotta look at the time it came out, in 1992. How many bands were making introspective anti-suicide ballads like that one? As opposed to all the 'I wanna be more like you and less like me' type emo shit we have these days! Granted Pearl Jam had a song about suicide around the same time and Nirvana was all angsty and stuff but you can hardly say they're similar to Everybody Hurts. The song has such a simple sentiment delivered in a perfect way by Stipe 'don't let yourself go cos everybody cries... everybody hurts sometimes... take comfort in your friends... everybody hurts, so hold on...' I don't know, those lyrics spoke to me when I was 13. lol. And I'm sure it was partly the awesome video too where you see a gridlock situation and at the end of the video, everyone just says Fuck this! and starts walking out of their cars! Awesome. I'm getting all nostalgic just thinking about it! :sad: :drool: :shifty: :wink:

Chris Matin's best lyrics :drool:

The Nappies

by Chris Martin

Sometimes you're happy sometimes you're brown,
with your hormones bouncing up and down.
Sometimes you’re happy sometimes you’re sad
it’s a weird nine months with you I've had.
There is shit going down that you can't disguise
when you boobs gone up ten times in size,
your cups gone up from an A to D,
its bad for you but its fun for me.

Now just because a little rumpy pump,
now you're walking round with a great big bump
You might think a bit of French and you should have said non
Or at least you would have made me put a condom on
I think you might find that its really fun
I know its no use unless you make it bun
its something to learn yeah it really is,
now you know what that sticky stuff is

I'll be there with you baby through the thin and the thick
I'm gonna clean up all the poo and the sick
I'll be there to make you happy and keep everything clean
I'll change the nappies through the washing machine
’Cause I ain't no baddy, I ain't no baddy,
I ain't no baddy, I am your baby's daddy.

Oh!
Who!

Sometimes you think "what a fool I am
why did I marry this soulful man"
Now a baby's part of my family plan
can it kick me well yes it can
My name's Ken and I've got fleas
do you like being a daddy?
Yeah, defiantly.
Well I have to warn you although its fun
there are times when you wish you had been a nun

I'll be there with you baby through the thin and the thick
I'm gonna clean up all the poo and the sick
I'll be there to make you happy and I'll bring in the bread
I'll be the nanny you can go out instead
I know that you'll be grumpy, that's what everyone says
and you're not going to hump me for 43 days
If you don't want more babies and you cannot disguise it,
Then I'll take my cock and vasectimize it
’Cause I ain't no baddy, I ain't no baddy,
sometimes I make you saddy
I ain't no baddy
I ain't no baddy I ain't no baddy I am your baby's daddy
(beat box)
Mother!
Mother!
I ain't no baddy I ain't no baddy
I ain't no baddy I am you're baby's daddy
Ho!
Break it down now,

She told me to crawl this way, bawl this way

R.E.M by so far that by the time I get there I'm old, have alzheimers, and can't even remember who Coldplay are.

I do like Coldplay. Parachutes is a really great album, especially considering it's a debut album. Rush of Blood is also excellent, a nice subtle shift in sound and style as well. I remember when Clocks leaked and it blew this very forum away. X&Y to me is a misstep for the band. Really bland, really formulatic. I was certainly hoping for more, considering the first two albums and the promise they held for the future of this young, growing band. X&Y sounds like a band working to achieve what they believed was expected of them, not the one that made music for themselves, which created the first two albums. I sincerely hope Coldplay get back on track. Speed of Sound & Fix You were so bad it actually made me angry, which means I must like Coldplay. The only other band who has actually made me angry by producing shit also happens to be my favourite. Actually, Fix You would be right at home on the formulatic, bland Atomic Bomb, and it would be a real shame if in three albums Coldplay have already entered the creatively stale phase that it took U2 20 years to hit. I don't think that's the case though, I think it's just a misstep, and Coldplay certainly have potential.

REM are REM. Others have articulated REM love better than I can. I guess you could say that they are far more advanced than Coldplay. In musical and lyrical terms, Michael Stipe is a genius adult, Chris Martin is perhaps a genius child that you hope keeps his shit together and grows into something special. Coldplay can write great, memorable music, but for me their songs just don't resonate the way REM's do. What Chris Martin is telling me is very, I guess, shallow compared to where Michael Stipe takes me.

I also think Around the Sun was a fantastic album.

heartland girl, i want to make sure you didn't take my comment too seriously re: being embarassed for liking coldplay.

you have my utmost respect, and i don't wish you to feel insulted by what i said.

Pretty Persuasion is :drool: :drool: :drool:

Both bands need to address the issues of complatencey. For REM, they need to make an album that is really different from anything else they have done. Personally, I couldn't tell which album most of thier songs come from because they don't have specific sounding albums. As for Coldplay, they need to write about things they haven't written about. I would like to see Coldplay, go darker and less catchy. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Chris Martin take some lyrical and musical lessons from Fiona Apple.

Or better make Chris Martin the permenant piano player and Fiona Apple the lead singer. Hmm...a five peice version of Coldplay lead by Fiona Apple. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Harry Vest said:
Hey U2POPMOFO you forgot to mention Life's Rich Pagent for crying in the soup.

So I did listen to this tonight and it was defintely better than I remembered it being. Much better actually.

I like how it is eactly in the middle of being between the early jangly style of their first couple albums and the later "rockiness" they'd soon get to.

Zoomerang96 said:
heartland girl, i want to make sure you didn't take my comment too seriously re: being embarassed for liking coldplay.

you have my utmost respect, and i don't wish you to feel insulted by what i said.

At the end of the day, I try not to take anything too seriously around here, so no worries. I like both bands and feel like this whole thread is comparing apples to oranges. I just felt compelled to state that there is no right answer to the question. Makes for an interesting debate though. You've got my respect too. No hard feelings.

Screwtape2 said:
Or better make Chris Martin the permenant piano player and Fiona Apple the lead singer. Hmm...a five peice version of Coldplay lead by Fiona Apple.

are you trying to antagonize me??

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom