R.E.M.- Best of the I.R.S. years 1982-1987

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I picked this up today. I am an R.E.M. fan but was not very familiar with their old stuff. I'm really enjoying this compilation, though. "Fall on me", "Cuyahoga", "Begin the begin", "So. Central Rain", "Rockville".... man, such great songs I had never heard before! It comes with a 2nd disc of live versions, alternate takes and unreleased tracks. I feel like a whole new world has been opened up to me.

I have been an R.E.M. fan for a long time, but the only albums I ever had were Out of Time, Automatic for the People, Monster, Up and Around the Sun. This stuff is unique because they actually feel like a real rock band in these older songs. Also, Bill Berry is joining REM for their induction to the Georgia Music Hall of Fame this weekend, and he played with them in some club in Athens a few days ago. I wish he'd rejoin and they could be a real band again.

The_acrobat said:
Also, Bill Berry is joining REM for their induction to the Georgia Music Hall of Fame this weekend, and he played with them in some club in Athens a few days ago.

:sad:

On Monday, someone I work with told me the band would appear at the benefit show at the 40 Watt on Tuesday night. A friend and I spent late Monday afternoon frantically calling places for tickets. We finally found a location that wasn't sold out so I jumped in my car to go get them. I had my friend call back almost 2 minutes after they said they had tickets and he was told that in the span of those 2 minutes, the show's organizers had stopped by to pick up the remaining unsold tickets.

We tried to get tickets early at the door the next day, but the unsold tickets had disappeared. We left the club to have dinner and when we finally accepted our ill fate, we took a last stroll by the club just to check things out. As we walked by, So. Central Rain could be clearly heard coming out of the building. Since there were a lot of people milling about outside as if it were no big deal and because it sounded really good (as if it were some sort of live recording we hadn't heard yet) and also because it was rather early in the evening, we assumed it was a recording and kept walking. :der:

And as an FYI for those who are interested in the ceremony this weekend, I believe there's a webcast of the event on the public broadcasting website.
http://www.gpb.org/public/tv/highlights.jsp?hlid=5871

I might have to go out and pick this up for the live versions. In my opinion, R.E.M. stopped being good when Bill Berry left the band. Back in the early 90s, they were competing with U2 for my favorite band. Now I only listen to their (quite brilliant at times) older work.

logic is telling me i don't need this (since it's a best of with a tracklisting that comes from mostly stuff i already own), but the only real reason i haven't picked it up is that i really need to save money. if i had a job right now, i'd have bought it the other day. old REM is excellent.

Well I already have all the albums (except Around the sun) and the previous Best of 83-87 (although this new compilation has a better tracklist), unfortuneatly the bonus disc doesnt contain that much exciting stuff either.

I'm too much of a completist not to buy it, so I bought it. And I bought the DVD, and now I can happily get rid of my VHS tape of "REM Succumbs"!

Yeah I had a copy of this once... probably not needed if I happened to have their actual old albums, but I did not, so it came in handy.

Fall on Me is a real standout, for any band then or now.

This compilation put The Best of 1988-2003 onto shame. I still can't believe how badly selected was that unforgivable compilation :banghead: missing essential songs like Drive, Bang And Blame, Strange Currencies, Pop Song 89, Half A World Away, Star 69, etc. Even the well know hated by the band song Shiny Happy People should have been included :up:

I don't care at all if a band hates a particular song, but if that song is a smash hit they should include on any "best of", "greatest hits" or whatever :heart:

It's a pretty ironic thing but REM has always released great compilation of the IRS years (Best Of, Eponymus, etc) but the 1988-2003 has always poorly represented, and I don't know why :(

I really hope someday they'll release the singles collection of this fantastic era :heart:

Back
Top Bottom