R.E.M. - Automatic For The People tribute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2inUtah

Rock n' Roll Doggie
R.E.M. - Automatic For The People tribute--cover songs of each track

Its been exactly 15 years since Automatic For The People was released.

A 15 year tribute called DriveXV has been done to honor this monumental album, including covers of each of the songs from different artists such as The Veils, The Wrens, Sara (of Tegan and Sara), Meat Puppets, Shout Out Louds, Rogue Wave, etc.

You can go here for free downloads of each of the songs and comments on every song by Mike Mills.

http://www.stereogum.com/drivexv/

Anyways, I know some here are REM fans and might be interested.

I really enjoyed the covers of Try Not To Breathe, Ignoreland, and Find The River.

Last edited:
The Wrens and Rogue Wave, eh? Pretty good list of bands, I'll have to check some of these tracks out.

intedomine said:
Very overated album, but still a good listen nevertheless.

Still better than Green and Out of Time.

I always felt Out of Time was overrated due to the hits from that album, as a cohesive album it wasn't that good.

Automatic for the People was awesome.. Start to Finish.

david said:

I always felt Out of Time was overrated due to the hits from that album, as a cohesive album it wasn't that good.

Agreed...

Out of Time, has some of their greatest tunes(not the released ones) but sucked as a cohesive album.

I love Green and Automatic, two of my fave albums ever.

Hmmmm, the "Star Me Kitten" is pretty good.

The "Nightswimming" by The Wrens is horrible! :yikes:

The "Sweetness Follows" is pretty good too, but that's holy ground for me because that's one of my favorites. The cover is a tad too lite and cheery. "Sweetness Follows" needs to have gravity . . . it's all about gravity for that song.

david said:

Still better than Green and Out of Time.

I've personally struggled to appreciate any cohesion in Automatic for the People. There's some cracking tunes on there, but it has never seemed like a cohesive album to me, unlike Murmur or the under-appreciated Reveal.

I can understand why people find it cohesive - but I don't agree with that. Outside of Ignoreland, Try Not to Breathe and Drive it's just slightly above average 90's AOR to me.

I find this album to be one of my least favorites (not counting Reveal and Around the Sun which were very weak) by R.E.M., although it does contain some beautiful songs - especially Try Not to Breathe and Find the River.

djerdap said:
I find this album to be one of my least favorites (not counting Reveal and Around the Sun which were very weak) by R.E.M., although it does contain some beautiful songs - especially Try Not to Breathe and Find the River.

:ohmy:

Nightswimming, Find The River, Man On The Moon, Drive, Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite, Ignoreland... even Everybody Hurts.. I love them all! :love:

Well, it did come from one of the most popular indie blogs there is. What did you expect from Stereogum, Matchbox 20 and T-Pain? :wink:

On second thought, I'd pay good money to hear a T-Pain tribute to Automatic for the People.....

Back
Top Bottom