Question for those in music/music industry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
OK, this might seem odd but bear with me...

I recently got engaged and have loosely began planning a wedding. At this point, I'm looking at a budget and decided what I want vs what I will sacrifice. I'm not a girly-girl who's had her wedding planned since she was six, BUT there's this one particular piece of music that happens to be my favorite ever, and I've always thought it would sound amazing as part of my wedding, give the traditional nature and good accoustics of my church. Unfortunately, the song is a choral motet intended for a 40 voice choir. NOT happening! Now, the Kronos Quartet has played this song and it sound brilliant. I just bought a wedding dress for only $49.99 so if I can, I'd like to use what I would've paid on a dress to hire a quartet (or pay some music students). I LOVE the Kronos arrangement of my song, but that's just it...it's THEIR arrangement.

My question is this, if it's their arrangement, is there ANY chance I could find/purchase sheet music? If so, how to I go about finding sheet music? I already went to their official website and submitted an inquiry regarding the sheet music, but no response in weeks. I don't know the legalities of musical arrangements so I'd like to know whether this is possible or not, b/c if it's not, I'll scratch the idea and move on right away.

I did, but it's their own arrangement and they don't even sell their stuff on their own site. There's plenty of sheet music available for the original arrangement by Thomas Tallis.

This sounds like a wonderful idea and plan and I say go for it if is means so much to you and it seems to. I am SURE you can work it out. And I'd Google the 'net for the sheet music.....you'll come up with it somewhere somehow. Have you tried asking around town or ask the pianist/organist and/or choir folks ar your church. Good luck, hope your dream comes true!

Oh, and Congratulations on the engagement! :wink:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I did, but it's their own arrangement and they don't even sell their stuff on their own site. There's plenty of sheet music available for the original arrangement by Thomas Tallis.

ah, yeah that could be tricky

i don't have any other ideas:reject:

Carek1230 said:
This sounds like a wonderful idea and plan and I say go for it if is means so much to you and it seems to. I am SURE you can work it out. And I'd Google the 'net for the sheet music.....you'll come up with it somewhere somehow. Have you tried asking around town or ask the pianist/organist and/or choir folks ar your church. Good luck, hope your dream comes true!

Oh, and Congratulations on the engagement! :wink:

I'll try asking around, maybe e-mail some of the Profs/Drs at school and see if they know what to do. I've been looking for this piece for years now. Like I said, Googling for the original score is no problem, but apparently Kronos do not release sheet music for their own arrangements (which I guess makes sense, b/c they need to perform and sell albums).

It sucks b/c it's not a "simple" piece that can be easily arranged (like hymns or Canon in D). It's over 8 minutes long, 500 years old, and intended for 40 vocalists, not 4 string instruments. :(

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

and have them figure it out?

Yeah.

If you can't find sheet music, hell, even if you find sheet music, this is the best option.

A good musician should be able to transcribe it.

MrBrau1 said:
A good musician should be able to transcribe it.

I agree. Additionally, you can give them the original sheet by Thomas Tallis so they got the chords or the soprano/ alto etc. voices to read, and then listen to Kronos version and figure it out.

I don't know if you've seen this or if it's of any use to you. I Googled 'Kronos quartet sheet music', and got this...

http://www.kronosquartet.org/info/faq.html

maybe something there will help you out or lead you somewhere? :shrug: BTW, what is the song, if you don't mind me asking...

Is there a forum a la interference (ha!) for Kronos Quartet or sheet music where you can post a request? :shrug:

Congratulations again!

Last edited:
Lila...yeah, that's where I keep getting stuck :(

I'll do some serious digging once I have time.

The song is called Spem in Alium by Thomas Tallis, the English version is called Sing and Glorify. I wanted to use it as part of the prelude through when the bridal party walks in. There's a break in the Kronos version at 6:44, which is where I want it to end (the real ending is nice, but doesn't quite fit) and then another song for the bride going down the isle.

Listen here

I'm a nerd and love old school religious music, like 1400s-1600s. Most of the hymns we sing at my church have tunes written during that period.

:up: That is a really good arangement, I like it! I hope you can put it all together, because that would be awesome!

if you find sheet music for this by another artist... what's the difference? Just curious - I'm not much into this kinda music, but the song was rather pretty

Lila64 said:
if you find sheet music for this by another artist... what's the difference? Just curious - I'm not much into this kinda music, but the song was rather pretty

It makes no difference to me. The Kronos Quartet arrangement is the only arrangement of the piece for a string quartet that I'm aware of. If another exists and is available, I'd buy it hands down. But considering the song is for 40 vocalists, I doubt there are many other 4 string instrument arrangements, if any.

It's kind of like if you wanted someone to play that famous part of Beethovan's 9th Symphony with only a trumpet and a viola. Sure, you can find sheet music for the 9th anywhere, but finding the arrangement you want is another matter....

ohhhhhhhhh.... Maybe you can find a quartet and give them the CD? Or find a music teacher/professor? I dunno... was trying to help, but I guess I'm out of ideas, LOL. You could just have the CD playing, no? (I know, not as special as the live quartet...)

Back
Top Bottom