Question for REM fans circa 1991

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
When Out Of Time came out and people listened to Texarkana for the first time, did many think it was just a sped up World Leader Pretend? Cos that's what it is. Just looking at it musically and not the subject matter.

Don't get me wrong. I love both songs to death but I think this is similar to the Walk On/Electrical Storm/Crumbs comparison. And I know some people on Interference still accuse The Edge of stealing his own riff. But what do REM fans think of the aforementioned songs? Curious.

Now that you mention it, there a re lot of similarities. It never occured to me, but there a re a lot of similarities indeed. It even has the stringy bit in it. Good spot.
i like WLP better though. :p

Perhaps a bit far-fetched:

Green was released 8 november 1988, the day of the american presidential election. Having shown recently to be opponents of George W. Bush, perhaps this played a role back then. The song could well be a political statement back then.
In 1991, when Out Of Time was released, did they (want to) show texarkana was related to WLP? Now I don't know much about the 1993 elections and the period between 1988 and 1993, but would the lyrics of texarkana make sense seen in theat political time period?
"20000 chances i wasted" perhaps?

Interesting, this.

Last edited:
but it has the same instruments, the same style, the same structure. And those Emmie Bmmie thingies do look alike to me.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Not exactly...

Texarkana: Em G Bm Bm Em A G G

WLP: Em Bm Em Bm Em Bm G A
w/ the verses being: D G C

Well, not exactly of course but they have as much similarity, if not more compared to the U2 equivalent, Walk On & Electrical Storm or ES & Crumbs. That's why I was curious about what REM fans thought of this. Of course, one of my friends thinks all REM sounds the same.. just like people who think all U2 sounds the same. :huh:

corianderstem said:
Did you ever notice how similar "Turn You Inside Out" and "Finest Worksong" are?

:hmm: Never really noticed but I'm tempted to listen to them back to back now. :wink:

But the ringing guitar in WLP and Texarkana is really eerily similar I think.

REM :drool:

Stipey even does the same little dance for "Turn" and "Finest" in the Tourfilm concert video.

I'm tellin' ya ... same song! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom