Question for all Illinois chicago U2 fans! Very Important to me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkramer

War Child
I figured who would be better to ask this question than a bunch of cool U2 fans? I am going to Chicago in Nov. for a concert. No, it's not U2 (obviously) but it is Peter Gabriel, someone I have waited my whole life to see. (Get his new CD, it's unlike anything you've ever heard, not exactly mainstream...) He's not coming to Kansas City so I thought I would just go for it and fly up to see him on opening night. (Show is sold out, glad I have killer tix) I am going up early in the morning on the 12th, coming back on the 13th. Show is at the United Center. Any suggestions on transportation? Should I rent a car or take the El train/cabs? Anything I should see while I'm there? Anyplace I should stay? Thanks for any suggestions, as I have only been to Chicago once before. (For a U2 show actually, best one I even saw, you guys rock in Chicago...)

Well, taking the El would be the cheapest way to get to the United Center from O'Hare or Midway, though you might have to walk a few blocks from the stop. Cabs aren't bad, but watch out for the pricing. I would say renting a car is a problem, because parking in Chicago is so expensive.

As to what do to in Chicago, well it depends on what you like to do. :) There's the Art Institute, the Aquarium, the shopping along Michigan Ave. I would definitely hang out in Grant Park for a while. Then there's the stuff like seeing the Sears Tower and all. If you've only got a half-day or so, you could just take a sightseeing tour of the city. Or if that's not your thing, just walk around yourself in the central area of the city (the Loop).

I thought that might be the best way. I had the time to drive when I saw U2, so I didn't have to get a car, but the parking prices were still insane. (Almost as bad as San Francisco, the king of rip off parking fees...) Does the El run 24 hours, or does it stop at a certain time? And is there a hotel or two that are close (somewhat) to the El and the United Center? Thanks for your help! U2 fans are #1!!!!

Different lines of the El shut down at diffferent times, but for the most part they open until at least 12:30 am as far as I know. You can get a little more info from http://www.transitchicago.com

No idea on the hotels though, since I live about 20 miles from Chicago. I would imagine there are many hotels within walking distance of the UC.

I believe the blue line will get you as far as UIC which is not that far but should you walk it, NO. The United Center located on the Near West Side. I'd suggest a cab from the station. Also, I know that there are a few hotels around the UIC campus but walking to them after a concert in November at night probably won't be the best option. A short cab ride is what I suggest.

Actually, the Forest Park Blue Line train will take you to the United Center (It's the "Medical Center" stop).....but you have to be sure that you get on the FOREST PARK train and not the 54TH & CERMACK train. both trains go the same direction until just before the Medical Center stop when the 54th/Cermack trains turns and goes towards the southwest side, while the Forest Park train continues towards the United Center stop....sounds kinda confusing, but hopefully that'll help you out somewhat

as for hotels, i'm not sure how many there are immediately surrounding the UC. you could probably find some cheaper ones in the west loop area, and then from there you could take a bus to the uc. feel free to pm me if you have any random chicago questions.

People here have covered the specifics pretty well, but just as a general transportation resource, you might want to visit www.yourcta.com. It has schedules and maps for all of the buses and El trains. It also has a trip planner where you can type in a starting point and a destination and it will tell you what trains or buses will be the fastest. I've used it on more than a few occasions an it usually works pretty well. :)

Have fun at the show!! :D

Thanks for your help everybody! If anyone else has anything to add that would be great, (favorite restaurants, hotels, places to see, etc.) but this will get me there and round downtown!

Back
Top Bottom