Pyongyang, North Korea Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I briefly went over to song meanings (yes, I went there) to see Brokencyde lyrics. The comments were mostly positive ...

*rips hair out*

YouTube is even worse, but that probably comes as a surprise to absolutely nobody. Hell, not even Yahoo Answers manages to have the same level of braindead stupidity as YouTube comments.

*L*

But would you make a song/album/book narration out of that?

Well, you might... ;)

Maybe if someone discovered real living dinosaurs... :hmm:

I damn well will publish a book commemorating the occasion, featuring all my posts on the victory!

If the All Blacks do win next year's World Cup, oh, Superthread, you have no idea what you are in for.

YouTube is even worse, but that probably comes as a surprise to absolutely nobody. Hell, not even Yahoo Answers manages to have the same level of braindead stupidity as YouTube comments.

YouTube needs to be moderated. If that's possible.

Moderating YouTube would be like trying to moderate the tide.

Or at least, they could force a user to take an IQ test during the registration. It will never happen, but I like to think that my dreams have some merit.

It's not as if the All Blacks have never won the World Cup before, though, right...?

Art vs. Science have covered I See Red. It is not Fine Enz Listening. :angry:

We won the first World Cup ... when I was all of ten months old.

1987: New Zealand
1991: Australia
1995: South Africa (I maintain New Zealand was robbed, and I don't just say that because it's my team)
1999: Australia
2003: England
2007: South Africa
2011: COME ONNNNN

I see Russia will be making its Rugby World Cup debut next year.

I've just remembered how much I love playing tennis. :love:

Alternatively, ban everybody.

That would work well too.

We won the first World Cup ... when I was all of ten months old.

1987: New Zealand
1991: Australia
1995: South Africa (I maintain New Zealand was robbed, and I don't just say that because it's my team)
1999: Australia
2003: England
2007: South Africa
2011: COME ONNNNN

But but but it was for Mandela and they made a movie out of it.

:wink:

I see Russia will be making its Rugby World Cup debut next year.

Hahaha what.

But but but it was for Mandela and they made a movie out of it.

:wink:

Heh, no shit eh!

God, the penalty South Africa got to seal the game was so fucking dodgy. The All Blacks were clearly the better team on the park that day.

We deserved to lose in 1991. We deserved to lose in 1999. We should have done better in 2003, but Australia stole the initiative of the semi-final (we started that game with the initiative, believe it or not). The players deserved so much better in 2007 and the arrogant selection panel cost us a shot at the Cup by resting some of our best players on the assumption we'd win a SUDDEN DEATH GAME. But by god, that 1995 Cup should have gone to the All Blacks.

Next year, I don't even know what to think. I'm nervous already.

Hahaha what.

Even better, they're in a group with the USA! SHOWDOOOOWWWN.

Heh, no shit eh!

God, the penalty South Africa got to seal the game was so fucking dodgy. The All Blacks were clearly the better team on the park that day.

We deserved to lose in 1991. We deserved to lose in 1999. We should have done better in 2003, but Australia stole the initiative of the semi-final (we started that game with the initiative, believe it or not). The players deserved so much better in 2007 and the arrogant selection panel cost us a shot at the Cup by resting some of our best players on the assumption we'd win a SUDDEN DEATH GAME. But by god, that 1995 Cup should have gone to the All Blacks.

Next year, I don't even know what to think. I'm nervous already.

Say what you like but god, Invictus was such a great movie. I mean, Matt Damon as an Afrikaner. Respect!

I still remember '03 when Mortlock intercepted a NZ pass and just charged half the length of the field to the try line. Was awesome.

I also remember how annoyed I was when young Jonny Wilkinson buried Australia in the final.

Even better, they're in a group with the USA! SHOWDOOOOWWWN

Cold War revisited. :rockon:

Brezhnev would be so happy ...
3640357979_d208c120d3_z_d.jpg

I still remember '03 when Mortlock intercepted a NZ pass and just charged half the length of the field to the try line. Was awesome.

I also remember how annoyed I was when young Jonny Wilkinson buried Australia in the final.

That's the initiative-stealing moment I meant! New Zealand were pretty much knocked out from then on. It was early in the game too, but we never really recovered from that moment.

And oh, I was totally barracking for England in that final. It would've been unbearable if Australia had won; we know how obnoxious Australian sporting fans can be.

Cold War revisited. :rockon:

Brezhnev would be so happy ...
3640357979_d208c120d3_z_d.jpg

Oh sweet jesus why.

I already have a religion, thank you very much.

It's called rugby union and our prophet is Pinetree Meads.

I don't know, I don't see much particularly objectionable about nihilist philosophy ... I don't readily identify with any particular philosophy about the meaning of life (or lack thereof).

Well exactly, there isn't any. There is no intrinsic meaning or purpose; we are the product of random chance and the good fortune of our planet possessing just such an environment within which human beings evolved. Life is what you make it; find your own meaning and purpose - don't let anybody else define it for you. Insofar as nihilism rejects there being any particular meaning or purpose to life, I agree with it; beyond that point, I think I part ways with nihilism on some major issues, but still with an understanding of where nihilism is coming from.

I was merely expecting you to say "42". :wink:

But yeah, your description is pretty close to the mark. I like to think that we were put on here for a reason. That we have to contribute to the world as best we can.

On that bombshell, I'm off to sleep.

I think if I were to reduce my personal philosophy to a very basic level, it would be something like this:

1. Life has no intrinsic meaning or purpose.
but
2. We exist. We are here.
hence
3. We should make the best of this meaningless existence on a small rock orbiting a lonely star.
ergo
4. We should strive to create the best society, the best culture, the best polity, the best planet possible.
because
5. The best society, etc. is best for each individual within it to make the best of their individual meaninglessness.

My nagging problem with putting down such a simplistic formula, however, is that it could be read to imply that what is best for society is best for the individual, when I believe the opposite. The individual's own perception of what is best is central to their life; so long as they do not hinder anybody else achieving their own betterment, they are free to their perception. Here I might as well defer to J. S. Mill's no harm principle. I suppose what I mean is that a "best society" would permit individual freedom along the lines of the no harm principle, which negates the aforementioned undesirable implication.

Ooh er, a discussion on the meaning of life? /philosophy major

How's that going for you anyway? Lost your sanity yet?

I was merely expecting you to say "42". :wink:

But yeah, your description is pretty close to the mark. I like to think that we were put on here for a reason. That we have to contribute to the world as best we can.

On that bombshell, I'm off to sleep.

:laugh: I'm in a thinking mood tonight.

I don't necessarily think contribution demands purpose.

G'night! :wave:

Damnit Liam, you're too slow with your philosophising. I'm off to bed. :wave:

Charlotte's back! :hyper:

And the results of the hearing test are promising, only slight hearing loss. Many of my results returned normal. We're doing another test in six months to see how I fare, and then decide if anything needs to be done about the mild loss or if it's so mild that I needn't worry about it.

Now I just need to get over the lingering cold I can't seem to shake yet. Will try to get into the doctor's tomorrow ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom