project runway season three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AtomicBono said:
vincentpowers.jpg

i don't even know

:lmao: :up:

I have to watch the Ms. Universe pagent tonight. I have to see how Tara and the dress looks.

I thought Angela's outfit was heinous :barf:, I can't believe she didn't lose

people.com

Designer and Runway alum Nick Verreos gives his weekly insider's view on the Emmy-nominated show

Episode Three

If I was instructed to take a walk in New York's Central Park, a full equestrian ensemble – complete with jodhpurs, riding boots and a double strand of pearls – would not exactly come to mind as an outfit of choice. But, heck, I am not Laura, the New York mother-designer on this season's Project Runway.

Against this backdrop, mentor Tim Gunn strolls through the meadow with 14 of the cutest dogs you have ever seen. I had to ask myself: Are these the mini dogs that Paris and Nicole left behind at the Beverly Hills Kennel? Tim then introduced the designers to their next challenge – creating an outfit for what they imagine the dog's female owner might wear (as well as create a coordinating ensemble for their pup).

As quirky as this task was, many of the designers went into autopilot, crafting outfits within their comfort zone. "Miss Equestrian/Upper-Class Mommy" Laura produced a Laura döppelganger: a tweed-and-fur suit complete with (you guessed it!) a double strand of pearls, perfect for the ladies-who-lunch set. Last week's winner, Kayne (who's a pageant couture designer), made a colorful print ensemble, perfect for a former Miss Kentucky showing up at the Derby.

Out of his zone was Bradley, who seemed to be in need of a Red Bull – or at least a double shot of espresso! Either someone was spiking his morning tea with cannabis or his design brain needed some batteries. To quote my fellow season-two designer Andrae, he looked bedraggled. He eventually recharged himself, coming up with an outfit judges Nina Garcia and Vera Wang loved.

Speaking of Nina, it is nice to see that she made good use of the How to Deal with Aggressive Designers Summer Camp she must have attended between seasons. Instead of withdrawing, she seems much more ready for a fight when it comes to being a judge.

Bad boy Keith (Could he be the Santino villain of season three?) was castigated for not creating an outfit for the owner's dog even though they liked the dress he made for the model. His pup even got a scolding from hostess and dog dominatrix Heidi Klum (this part is permanently on my TiVo).

And Angela, the organic farmer-designer, explained that she envisioned her dog owner as the director of a children's art academy in Paris (that beats my Paris Hilton in Mykonos story!), yet her model looked more like the director of a brothel in Newark!

It was Miami-based designer Uli, however, who won this challenge for her mix of unusual print and fabric and being able to turn her dog from butch to femme in less than 24 hours. Unfortunately, little Katherine was voted off for poor construction, uninspired design, and no cute story to tell. It's a dog-eat-dog design world.

I didn't know Tim has a blog, I just peeked at the site

I love the way he says "carry on" and " L'Oreal Paris Makeup Room and Tresemme Hair Salon". I would love to design some crap outift just so he could trash it :wink: I admire that talent so much, I can't sew at all and don't have that kind of creative ability. But seeing Angela's outfit last night made me feel like I could be a designer :|

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:

Speaking of Nina, it is nice to see that she made good use of the How to Deal with Aggressive Designers Summer Camp she must have attended between seasons.

:lmao: thanks for posting that :up:

ughhh I can't believe Angela is still in... her outfit looked like a trashy 80's Barbie :huh:

I love Tim Gunn :love: I don't know why, I just think he's great. probably because he's a genius who is ALWAYS RIGHT. also, gotta love "make it work"

I found this on Google

gunn.jpg

Out.com Exclusive: He’s our favorite attraction on the catwalk, and here he gives us the real scoop you wanted to know.

by Jeffrey Epstein

We are obsessed with Tim Gunn. There, we said it. And you know you are too. The 52-year-old-but-looks-way-younger chair of the Department of Fashion Design at the Parsons The New School for Design, is our favorite reason for watching Project Runway. His desert-dry sense of humor and razor wit are a breath of fresh air amidst the designing drama. The Washington, D.C., native has been at Parsons (and living in New York City) for over 22 years. He took some time out from his schedule to dish with us about details behind the show, who he was glad to see go, and why he is single (that last one is the most shocking to us).

Part One of Two

Out: I have to start by letting you know you are getting to be known as quite the silver fox in our offices. Right up there with Anderson Cooper!
Tim: Thank you! It's very flattering company to be in.

So what all of America wants to know, have you and Andraé hit Red Lobster yet? [EDITOR’S NOTE: In one episode designer Santino, while doing a spot-on imitation of Tim, concocted an elaborate tale of romance between Tim and designer Andraé, culminating in a fight at Red Lobster.]
[Laughter] We were filming the “turning over of the keys” to the Saturn Sky Roadster, our one little bit of sponsor stuff we have to do. Andraé arrived at Parsons—I don’t even know why he arrived [he was already off the show]—we looked at each other (and at Santino) and said, “We have to do a Red Lobster photo shoot!” Red Lobster is half a block from Parsons. We ran over to Red Lobster, and unfortunately it wasn’t open yet because I really wanted them to get a photo of us sitting at a booth. We did a whole photo shoot in front. Bravo jokingly said it was going to be their Christmas card, so we’ll have to wait and see.

When I lived in New York, there wasn’t a Red Lobster in the city so I trekked out to Queens with a friend to go. It was a two-hour wait!
Seriously? Did you have fun?

It was hilarious.

I keep asking my coworkers here at Parsons to go. This has been going on for over a year. And no one will go. Well, Andraé will go with me.

We can only hope. So, between filming, blog entries, and podcasts, it seems like this show would take up a lot of your time. How are you able to balance your “day job” with Runway?

The first 11 episodes were filmed at Parsons when we were out of session. We couldn’t possibly film when we’re in session because there’s no space. Parsons was, actually, initially never going to be a part of this.

Really?

I was first brought on board as a consultant. The producers were talking to people all over town looking for someone to help them construct the challenges. I knew they had been talking to a lot of people because when we were having an exploratory conversation, they asked me how I would respond when told a wedding dress had to be designed in two days. I was nonplussed and said, “Well, if a wedding dress needs to be designed in two days, it will be designed in two days.” The ‘make it work’ phrase I’ve been using at Parsons for years—they have to make it work. The producers said, “Everyone else told us you need at least two weeks to do a wedding dress.” I said, “Well, for a certain kind of wedding dress. The Project Runway dress isn’t going to have arms, it isn’t going to have a train, it isn’t going to have a lot of things, but it will still be a wedding dress.” I guess that resonated with them because they called back a couple days later and said, “We want it to be you!” That evolved into me going to the auditions, and from there they asked how I would feel about being the “den father” in the studio. At that time we didn’t even know what it meant!
But going back to Parsons, the producers were going to outfit a loft space in the Atlas apartment building to make it look like a fashion design studio. But on a very sobering day in mid July [2004] everyone realized the budget wouldn’t allow it. I looked at them and said, “Let’s walk over to Parsons.”

There was no summer session?

We do, but it runs in July. And it was August. So it was a very organic process, and somewhat serendipitous.

This whole time between filming and Olympus Fashion Week the designers have just been…
They’ve been working like gangbusters to get these collections finished. That’s what they’ve been doing all these months.

Was it annoying to wait all this time for the end results?

It hasn’t been annoying at all. I won’t say I’m on pins and needles as much as they are, but I’m certainly on pins and needles. Who knows who’s gonna win? I will say that the quality of the work and the clarity of the point of view of each of them was so palpable it really is a matter of taste. It’s a matter of the judges’ taste. It’s not as though one was poorly made or another reason. Of course the judges did pick on some little things, and I just wanted to say, “Let it go. Just tell everyone they’re a winner but you get the crown.” I felt the same way during the first season… except for Wendy Pepper. I mean really, what was she doing there? I didn’t feel that this year at all.

Where have they been working all these months since Parsons is in session?

They’ve been set up in a studio at the Banana Republic design headquarters on 18th Street.

So, what were you doing before Parsons?

I was working at a small museum school in Washington, D.C., called the Corcoran School of Art, part of the Corcoran Gallery. I was teaching 3-dimensional design and doing admissions work for them.

Did you ever have design aspirations yourself?

I spent years wanting to be an architect. And I actually was a very serious sculptor for a number of years. So much of that experience helps me with fashion. Not to mention almost 23 years here at Parsons. Talk about a design education!

You mentioned in one of your blog entries that the judges do take past performance into consideration, like they did with Zulema. Santino has been in the bottom more than anyone else. It seems like he’s kept more because of his outlandish personality rather than great talent.

We have got to reconcile that the personality has certainly played a role here. It certainly has. But Santino’s the big risk-taker. From where I sit, they were all so dull/normal for the most part. There were some exceptions—Guadalupe and her float in the parade. They were all playing it so safe. At least Santino you could rely on for being out there. Maybe it was too far out there, but at least he was making a statement. When I think back about Daniel Vosovic, for instance, I find it hard to remember most of what he did for the first half of the show. The first time he really comes into the spotlight is with the lingerie challenge, and frankly, I thought that stuff was dull/normal. I don’t even remember what Daniel did for the next several challenges. Whereas Santino, I remember every single thing he ever did. He is bigger than life, and I really do believe he’s talented. The risk for Santino is being labeled a one-note because it’s a regurgitation of deconstruction and raw, unraveling seams, the wretched excess—he needed to go to boot camp with Coco Chanel, he would have learned a few things. But you could rely on him for some stimulation whereas [you were] falling asleep with most of the others.

Who has been the hardest to say goodbye to?

Oh, that’s a tough one. I can say who it was easy to say goodbye to!

That was actually my next question! So we can start there.

[Laughs] Oh, what am I getting myself into? I will say, I got so attached to them all emotionally. I want all of them to succeed… to a point. I have my limitations. But it was really hard and frequently very emotional, just to go back into that room and say, “You have to go upstairs and clean up your stuff.” In fact, I hated that line, but I had to keep saying it. It sounded kind of cold and that’s not how I am.

Not as cold as “You’re out.”

That’s true. But I’ll use Daniel Franco as an example. Lord, this past week I have found out I’ve developed an allergy to the guy. There was no way he was going to stay the course of season two. Absolutely no way. He doesn’t understand a deadline. He is incredibly annoying to be around. He’s the one person who never, ever forgot there was a camera around. So I was thrilled he left the way he left. Because he really did leave with dignity and with grace and with professionalism. And, boy, was I relieved he was gone. I just couldn’t stomach going much further with all that stuff of his. The other person from season two who I was not only perfectly happy to see go, I would have arranged for a car service to get her out of there, was Zulema. Oh, my God.

MrsSpringsteen said:
That’s true. But I’ll use Daniel Franco as an example. Lord, this past week I have found out I’ve developed an allergy to the guy. There was no way he was going to stay the course of season two. Absolutely no way. He doesn’t understand a deadline. He is incredibly annoying to be around. He’s the one person who never, ever forgot there was a camera around. So I was thrilled he left the way he left. Because he really did leave with dignity and with grace and with professionalism. And, boy, was I relieved he was gone. I just couldn’t stomach going much further with all that stuff of his. The other person from season two who I was not only perfectly happy to see go, I would have arranged for a car service to get her out of there, was Zulema. Oh, my God. [/B]

:lmao: that is great! thanks for posting this interview.

The promos for this weeks episode have got me really curious. Who do you think will be asked to leave and why? What kind of rule has been broken?! :hmm:

Bonos_Lemon said:
The promos for this weeks episode have got me really curious. Who do you think will be asked to leave and why? What kind of rule has been broken?! :hmm:

I know!! I really want to know :crazy:

my friend thinks Kayne and Robert are sleeping with each other :lol: i was like no I think if that were the case they'd both have to leave, then that'd be three people gone in one ep...

maybe someone is cheating somehow?? or talking to people they're not supposed to??

My mom keeps thinking one of them will get kicked off for doing drugs but I told her its the fashion industry! They would ask someone to leave if they weren't doing drugs :lol:

But I seriously think that someone is lying about who they are or getting outside help or something...probably Keith! Can't stand him!

just watched the "doggie" episode yesterday. I couldn't believe that it was beyond Keith to make something for his dog, ANYTHING! And Laura didn't even want to touch the dog :tsk: I did love Uli's fabric and dress overall. But Angela :crazy: what the hell was the thinking and doing :huh: I was surprised Bradley was able to come up with something at the last minute. And it seemed most contestants got some airtime on the show, except Michael (the African American male). I didn't appreciate that - I want to see them all. And Vincent still bugs the crap out of me for some reason.

Can't wait to see who will be asked to leave on the next episode, and how possibly ridding one person a week early will affect the rest of the show's schedule :hmm:

from BestWeekEver.tv:

Project Runway: Who Is The Cheat?

The Blogging Project Runway blog has been closely following the upcoming elimination debacle scheduled to air this Weds. night on Bravo. Speculation is running wild. Here is what we do know: A teaser clip on Yahoo TV shows that it’s the group of Kayne, Robert and Michael who turn one of their fellow designers in, meaning that odds are they’re safe from elimination. (And thank God — Robert and Michael are our favorites!) We also know that said person is thrown off the show for breaking one of the rules. While people are still speculating whether or not Keith Michael copied some of the designs in his application from major runway shows, something tells us that the reason here is something more immediate… A rule broken on the challenge at hand. A friend of BWE wonders if someone was caught using illegal substances, and it actually makes sense! Have you seen how skinny poor Keith is? The droopy eyes? The flared nostrils? Maybe there’s a crystal meth-od to his madness.

Begin speculating in the commennnnnnnts

With all this build up I hope it isn't something totally lame....aka what most reality TV buildup turns into to....

I am looking for something JJJJJUUUUUIIIIIICCCCCYYYYY:wink: :wink:

Lila64 said:
And it seemed most contestants got some airtime on the show, except Michael (the African American male). I didn't appreciate that - I want to see them all.

he actually got more airtime than Bonnie... I saw Bonnie a total of twice during the whole episode, and when I did I was like "who is that? :huh:" I don't think they had her say ANYTHING except when her dress went down the runway.

but yea they should show Michael more, and I'm surprised his dress wasn't one of the top ones! I think he's one of my favourite designers so far actually.

I don't think anyone will get kicked off for using illegal substances, because then the police would have to be involved. I think it will be something that is against the rules of the show but not illegal necessarily.

I hope it's Keith who's kicked out. I don't even care if it's for a boring reason. He's just icky and needs to go.

Lila64 said:
^
I meant to mention Bonnie as well, but couldn't remember her name for lack of showing her :lol:

Bonnie such a small part of the show at this point, I really have no feeling for her one way or the other. Maybe if she stays around long enough and some of the more drama people are let go (like Keith, Angela, etc), then I'll get more of a vibe from her. Remembering back to last season, I think it took a while for Daniel Vosovic :heart: to stand out because of all the other drama people there, but he eventually stole the show (as far I'm concerned, anyway).

And if any of you haven't done so yet, check out all the blogs on BravoTV.com. Tim, Nick and one of the producers recap each episode, Daniel V. has his own lifestyle blog, Kara Janx has a blog and an executive producer for the show also has a blog. All really good stuff. And Blogging Project Runway is fabulous!!

we find out tonight guys :hyper:

i love this show way too much :crack:

I hope it's not Keith actually, because despite being an arrogant ass his designs are some of the best on the show imo... and I kind of like his "I'll do whatever I want" attitude, it reminds me of Santino :D

13.gif

I liked the per centage voting on what the audience felt as well, if the person should have been sent home or not. I'm glad the head male in the bottom group didn't go home - felt bad for the female though, but their criticism seemed warranted...

:lol: 89%!!! i bet the other 11% was Keith voting no...

I was worried Robert would go because I think he's really funny and a great designer, so I'm glad it was the other lady. Bonnie, right? They never showed her soo...

They never gave her much air time, as stated earlier in the thread (I think). Yeah, the 11% probable was Keith :lol:

I still do not care for Angela, but her team made a nice outfit for I.N.C. As we were watching the show, I was pointing out a few pieces of my clothing laying around, that just happened to be I.N.C. You could tell everyone was dreading working for her, or Keith for that matter. I didn't understand the shirt in Keith's design :shrug:

I was shocked that I actually liked Angela's outfit. If I had the right body and the extra cash I would buy it

The jacket is 129, the pants are 89, and the top is 39-I dont know why the top is black and not pink. I thought the rest of the outfits were ugly.

I loved Tim last night :wink: especially his little Saturn thing, I'll have to go online to watch it.

As soon as they started showing interview clips with Bonnie, I figured she'd be out.

It's the theory I've learned from others by watching America's Next Top Model ... if a certain person seems to be doing more interviews during one show, they're probably out.

Oh, and I was disappointed none of the judges rolled their eyes when Angela described her "Empire State Building" inspiration. This is the THIRD YEAR in a row that someone has done something inspired by the Empire State Building (Jay in season 1, Chloe last year).

Come up with new inspiration! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom