Progressive Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kerrylives

The Fly
As an avid progrock / progmetal fan I'm wondering if there are any fellow U2 fans who are also into this genre. If so, what are your favorite albums / bands / recommendations?
Let me start with giving you some of mine:

Kansas - Kansas / SfA / Masque / Leftoverture
(America's answer to the european prog invasion. Responsible for putting the rock element back into the sympho mix. Kerry Livgren is just a musical wizard who pours his heart (and creativity) out in the music. The honesty and openness in the writings about his spiritual quest which was taking place during those years is just breath taking. In a sense he reminds me very much of Bono. Kansas are amazing early 70's prog pioneers!)

Shadow Gallery - Tyranny
(Written well before 911 the entire album (in some odd prophetic way) deals with the situation we're facing nowadays. Musical and lyrical perfection! One of my most treasured discoveries of the last 10 years. Strongly recommended!)

Shadowland - Through The Looking Glass
(Brittish neoprog of the highest level; wonderful album with amazing keyboards / melodies, telling the well known Alice in Wonderland story from another perspecitive.)

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
(Hard hitting concept album, just great. Key album in the development of progressive metal. A classic.)

Collage - Moonshine
(Little known Polish band delivering a very emotional / passionate masterpiece, seemingly out of the blue. Hard to describe but this is some very, very touching music. Guitars somewhat reminiscent of early U2.)

Threshold - Subsurface
(Brittish progmetalheads, getting better with each release. Their latest release is just top notch containing some profound lyrics.)

Dream Theater - Awake
(Well know progmetal band. I personally favor their earlier work, like the magnificent Awake for instance.)

Caïro - Conflict And Dreams
(Modern progrock in the vein of the great 70's progbands. Just listen to the epic 17 minute killer song Western Desert!)

Danny

I like King Crimson, and some other prog rock bands, but progressive isn't my favorite rock style

UnforgettableLemon said:
cReEd aNd NiCkLeBaCk

Oh YeZz
aNdd

LiFeHoUSe!!
:mad:

:lol:

as far as i'm concerned, prog rock can burn in hell. but that's just me. :wink: you probably think the same of all the stuff i listen to.

I'm such a musical whore. I'll listen to anything, really. Well, ALMOST anything. But there are a few prog bands I dig. King Crimson's alright, my ex was big into Dream Theatre. But I can also listen to a lot of stuff IWB likes. I really don't like to draw any boundaries. But yeah, some prog is good, just can't really get into it very often. Closest I get is Floyd. But then rarely.

I like some Alan Parson's Project stuff. And Phish, if that is progessive rock.;)

Last edited:
Pinback has a song called 'Prog'. It's quite good.

That's about all I know about prog rock.

UnforgettableLemon said:
I'm such a musical whore. I'll listen to anything, really. Well, ALMOST anything. But there are a few prog bands I dig. King Crimson's alright, my ex was big into Dream Theatre. But I can also listen to a lot of stuff IWB likes. I really don't like to draw any boundaries. But yeah, some prog is good, just can't really get into it very often. Closest I get is Floyd. But then rarely.

i tend to think i'll listen to anything. and honestly, i will give anything a listen once. unless it's rap, that's the one irrationality i've got. as long as you don't slap a label on it, i'll take an unbiased listen. but if you call something 'emo-core' and then play it for me, i'll have to hate it no matter what. same with prog.

:wink:

Labels never really tell the whole truth anyway. I mean, the Clash were THE punk band, but they were a hell of lot more than a punk band, right?

UnforgettableLemon said:
Labels never really tell the whole truth anyway. I mean, the Clash were THE punk band, but they were a hell of lot more than a punk band, right?

exactly

and if people could decide on labels that worked, they wouldn't have to go and add post's and core's to everyhing. like post-emocore. what the hell is that supposed to mean?

Back
Top Bottom