Prog Rock Topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just because Yes has a different style from Pink Floyd doesn't make either any less progressive. Doesn't matter how complex or simple it is.

Just like Porcupine Tree is different, yet also progressive.

But aren't bands like Yes, King Crimson and (early) Genesis wayyy more prog than Pink Floyd ever got? I always considered Floyd to be more.. just plain experimental... (or a genre on to their own.. space rock :wink: ) than prog.

Floyd borders the line between pure psychedelia and prog rock, especially pre-Wish You Were Here.

The Doors, por ejemplo, could be considered progressive I believe, but they're definitely more "psychedelic" than that, you know?

Zootlesque said:
But aren't bands like Yes, King Crimson and (early) Genesis wayyy more prog than Pink Floyd ever got? I always considered Floyd to be more.. just plain experimental... (or a genre on to their own.. space rock :wink: ) than prog.

No. Experimental is part of progressive rock music.

The other bands never obtained the huge crossover success that Pink Floyd had (Yes and Genesis did have a number of hits later when they were more pop-oriented), so that's probably why you view them differently.

Last edited:
I prefer Peter Gabriel's solo material way more than Gabriel-Genesis or the poppy Collins-Genesis.

In your eyes!

Zootlesque said:
See... I view prog as more complex instrumentation than what is found on SOYCD. It's a gorgeous song but I'm not sure how prog it is. Now something like Siberian Khatru is ridiculously blatantly prog!

Prog isn't just how many notes you can play in any given minute, though. That's why I think SOYCD is a fantastic example of prog. It's spacey, atmospheric, and the music has room to breathe and expand. You're not getting buffeted by an unstoppable wave of notes.

Not at all if you ask me, though it seems a number of prog fans like them.

I was kind of hoping you'd say "yes" so I could at least say I like more than one prog band. I'm working on getting the King Crimson album, but the one I got wasn't playable on my Mac. So I'm working on another version. Looking forward to it. :) Thanks.

phanan said:
Like indie meets prog.

...which actually exists! Have you ever heard The Island by The Decemberists?

This was the best I could come up with on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1RbUwjKEYY

The proggiest bits come in at around 6:30 and last until the end of the video. It's a pity this isn't the studio version (which is much more superior). The organ in the studio sounds like something you'd hear from a 70s prog band. This isn't the full version of the song either - still goes on for about two or three minutes at the end.

Last edited:
I've only heard a couple of songs by the Decemberists, and that's not one of them. I'll have to check it out.

And indie and prog together definitely exists. I would say that bands like Explosions In The Sky, Mogwai, and Sigur Ros would be some fine examples (even if they are considered more on the experimental/post-rock side, I still think it's progressive). I also mentioned Battles, which although totally different, have prog elements incorporated into their songs. Cool stuff.

As for an Indie/prog band I can highly recommend Oceansize - Frames. If you like Indie style music, you will definitely like these guys.

As for classic Prog, definitely Yes and King Crimson (though KC has alot of atmospheric soundscape type stuff and as a U2 fan you might be interested in the Fripp/Eno album - "Beyond Even", Fripp is the founder and primary member of King Crimson).

For Modern Prog I would highly recommend the Flower Kings new album - "The Sum of No Evil". This is an excellent Modern Prog album.

As for Porcupine Tree - I'm a huge fan. But I also find parts of "in Abstentia" kind of lacking. I would recommend "Deadwing" before IA.

Also, I wanted to add one more thing for you Porcupine Tree and King Crimson Fans - I don't know if you knew but Gavin Harrison (PT drummer) is the new King Crimson drummer! In case you are wondering - he's not quitting PT - he plans to do both.

Yeah, that's a pretty sweet gig that Gav's got there.

^

Yes. They are supposed to release an album in 2009 to celebrate their 40th anniversary. Until then, they are playing some concerts at Chicago's Park West in the summer of 2008.

I'm usually afraid to read threads about prog etc. as I tend to get lost pretty quickly, not being a music connoisseur as such. I like what I like, and don't dissect it too much. I've actually enjoyed reading this really informative thread and will take some of your collective helpful advice over the weekend and check out some of this stuff. Thanks for the thread and the contributions :)

snowbunny00774 said:
I'm usually afraid to read threads about prog etc. as I tend to get lost pretty quickly, not being a music connoisseur as such. I like what I like, and don't dissect it too much. I've actually enjoyed reading this really informative thread and will take some of your collective helpful advice over the weekend and check out some of this stuff. Thanks for the thread and the contributions :)

I listened to some of King Crimson's Red for the first time tonight...:drool: :drool: :drool: Definitely looking forward to checking out even more by them.

I'm goig to go to Best Buy and pick up some KC cause bittorrent has failed me more than snowbunny and NSW combined. And that's A LOT of phale.

Also, I woke up this morning smelling sarcasm, and what do you know, I traced it backto here. :mad: Not appreciated. Don't mock me, you two ingrates. Leave me alone. I'm busy.

Yep, that's the one I'm going to look for. I tried to "acquire" it :shifty: twice, but both times I was denied. The universe thinks it can keep me and prog apart? lol <--- I laugh at the universe.

So neither Best Buy nor Borders had it. They did have some live albums, Lizard, Red etc, but not the Court one. However - I did get some Grey Goose, wine and Egg Nog, so the trip wasn't a total bust. :D

UberBeaver said:
So neither Best Buy nor Borders had it. They did have some live albums, Lizard, Red etc, but not the Court one. However - I did get some Grey Goose, wine and Egg Nog, so the trip wasn't a total bust. :D

Bah, you should have picked up Red. :angry:

Back
Top Bottom