Prog Island Album Game: Round 3, Heat 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote!

• GibsonGirl's tracklist

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • liamcool's tracklist

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the tracklist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the second heat of the B&C Prog Island Album Game's third round! This competition is essentially edition 2.5 of the Desert Island Album Game, serving as a mini-tournament bridging the gap between the second and third editions, and we are trialling some new format ideas. This tournament alters the basic premise of the game a little. Instead of being stranded on a desert island and seeking the best tracklist to enjoy while there, we're heading off to Prog Island to savour the best that the prog genre has to offer. There is a strong emphasis in this competition not just on good individual songs, but on creating a cohesive work of musical art.

In a recap of Round 2 for Group 1, GibsonGirl came from behind and edged The Supertracklist, 6-5, while Axver won for the first time with his victory over liamcool, 6-3. The table for Group 1 heading into the third round is as follows:

Forum name: total competition points, won, lost, votes for, votes against, votes difference
GibsonGirl: 4, 2, 0, 18, 9, +9.
liamcool: 2, 1, 1, 11, 11, 0.
Axver: 2, 1, 1, 10, 15, -5.
Supertracklist: 0, 0, 2, 10, 14, -4.

This will be the last round before the semifinals, where the top two from each Group will advance. This heat features GibsonGirl against liamcool. Below are the tracklistings.

Forum name: GibsonGirl

GG writes: I must have gone through at least twenty different ideas and track combinations before eventually settling on this playlist. I wanted to include a few songs with progressive elements that wouldn't scare away anyone at Interference trying prog for the first time, as well as songs that would appeal to seasoned fans of the genre. As a result, my list is a bit 'mainstream' at times (if you could use that word to describe prog, ha) with one or two songs that are not strictly progressive but are certainly influenced by it. And what would a prog competition be without a concept? I started off with Pink Floyd's "Echoes" for a reason - some songs (but not all, for the sake of variety) subtly 'echo' other songs on the playlist. Some of these 'echoes' are more obvious (e.g. "Echoes" and "The Bright Ambassadors Of Morning" share a lyric in common) and others are more obscure (e.g. there is a small vocal melody in "Let It Grow" that sounds rather similar to one in "Dogs".) I did this to create an extra sense of cohesion between artists who are all very different. There were four songs that I simply had to leave off, and those have gone into my 30 minute
contribution for the Supertracklist. Check out the long Eloy suite for some fantastic music (just try to ignore the horrible German accent on the vocals)
and "It's A Long Road" from Supertramp's incredibly under-rated debut album. Hope you enjoy it. :)

1. Pink Floyd - "Echoes" - Meddle (23:28)
2. Nektar - "Let It Grow (Radio Promo)" - Remember The Future (3:51)
3. Genesis - "Firth Of Fifth" - Selling England By The Pound (9:37)
4. Kayak - "Reason For It All" - See See The Sun (6:30)
5. Yes - "Siberian Khatru" - Close To The Edge (9:00)
6. Utopia - "Hiroshima" - Ra (7:15)
7. Gentle Giant - "Three Friends" - Three Friends (5:26)
8. Änglagård - "Jordrök" - Hybris (11:11)
9. Camel - "Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider" (9:17)
10. Supertramp - "School - Crime Of The Century" (5:34)
11. Kayak - "Trust In The Machine" - Kayak (8:18)
12. Van Der Graaf Generator - "Man-Erg" - Pawn Hearts (10:21)
13. Pink Floyd - "Dogs" - Animals (17:08)
14. Roger Waters - "4:50 AM (Go Fishing)" - The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking (6:59)
15. David Gilmour - "Murder" - About Face (4:59)
16. King Crimson - "One More Red Nightmare" - Red (7:07)
17. Queen - "Bicycle Race" - Jazz (3:02)
18. Rush - "Beneath, Between And Behind" - Fly By Night (3:04)
19. David Sylvian & Robert Fripp - "20th Century Dreaming (A Shaman's Song)" - The First Day (11:53)
20. Passengers - "United Colours" - Original Soundtracks 1 (5:30)
21. Ozric Tentacles - "Jurassic Shift" - Jurassic Shift (11:04)
22. Richard Wright - "Along The Shoreline" - Broken China (4:36)
23. Pure Reason Revolution - "The Bright Ambassadors Of Morning" - The Dark Third (11:56)
24. Porcupine Tree - "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" - Deadwing (12:02)
25. Marillion - "Chelsea Monday" - Script For A Jester's Tear (8:17)
26. Ayreon - "Time Beyond Time" - Into The Electric Castle (6:04)
27. Porcupine Tree - "Radioactive Toy" - On The Sunday Of Life (10:00)
28. Anathema - "One Last Goodbye" - Judgement (5:23)

Total runtime: 03:58:52

Forum name: Liamcool

LP one

1) Marillion - "Psuedo Silk Kimono" - Misplaced Childhood (2:14)
2) Pink Floyd - "Any Colour You Like" - Dark Side Of The Moon (3:25)
3) Marillion - "Hooks In You" - Season's End (2:59)
4) Anathema - "Don't Look Too Far" - Judgement (4:57)
5) Opeth - "Requiem" - Orchid (1:11)
6) Mike Oldfield - "Tubular Bells Part One" - Tubular Bells (25:36)

LP two

1) Phish - "Down With Disease" - Live Phish Volume 15 (10:17)
2) Dream Theater - "The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun" - When Dream And Day Unite (8:04)
3) Pink Floyd - "Echoes" - Meddle (23:28)

LP three

1) Derek Sherinian - "God Of War" - Mythology (5:16)
2) Pink Floyd - "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast" - Atom Heart Mother (13:00)
3) Ayreon - "Day Twenty: Confrontation" - The Human Equation (7:02)
4) Iron Maiden - "Only The Good Die Young" - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (4:45)
5) Rush - "Vital Signs" - Moving Pictures (4:43)

LP four

1) Rush - "Freewill" - Permanent Waves (5:01)
2) Frank Zappa - "Plastic People" - Absolutely Free (3:42)
3) Pink Floyd - "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" - Ummagumma (9:12)
4) Porcupine Tree - "Fear Of A Blank Planet" - Fear Of A Blank Planet (7:28)
5) Dream Theater - "Disappear" - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (6:44)
6) Marillion - "Forgotten Sons" - Script For A Jester's Tear (8:23)

UP NEXT: phanan vs. hardyharhar

Competition master list.

Have fun and vote! :)

I went for GG by a nose. Both are very good tracklists worthy of a semi-final berth.

Also, phanan, I e-mailed you my voting preferences.

I voted for GG's list cos I enjoy it more. That said, Any Colour You Like from liamcool's list is one of my all-time favorites! But Tubular Bells is too much for me. :crack:

Btw, where do you guys get to hear these artists??? How do you discover this stuff? I mean, like Spock's Beard, Marillion, Gravy Train... I never even seen or heard any of their songs, albums, CDs etc. until I stepped into this forum!

Zootlesque said:

Btw, where do you guys get to hear these artists??? How do you discover this stuff? I mean, like Spock's Beard, Marillion, Gravy Train... I never even seen or heard any of their songs, albums, CDs etc. until I stepped into this forum!

We have meetings. :wink:

It can be anything from our parent's music collection to discovering stuff on forums. If you are willing to try things you will discover any sort of artist out there.

Ah I see. Btw, who else thinks the first few beats of Bright Ambassadors Of Morning by PRR sounds like Airbag by Radiohead? :wink:

I'm surprised you like Pink Floyd but not Radiohead. :wink:

Speaking of which... anybody that hasn't done this should do it now! Listen to The Narrow Way Part II from Ummagumma and then to Radiohead's National Anthem! :sexywink:

Axver said:
I went for GG by a nose. Both are very good tracklists worthy of a semi-final berth.

:up:

Exactly how I feel. Both are great, and have songs that I really enjoyed...many for the very first time. I especially loved Phish's Down With Disease and Kayak's Reason For It All :drool:

I had to go GG, however...overwhelmingly great flow/transitions between songs.

Back
Top Bottom