Prog Island Album Game: Round 1, Heat 1!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklist do you prefer?

• Axver's tracklist

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • GibsonGirl's tracklist

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
BonoIsMyMuse said:
I think I'm going to have to sit out the first round, since I won't have time to listen to everything before voting closes.

Same here! 4 hours is a long freaking time to spare on a workday weeknight! :crack: I'll listen over the weekend! :drool:

Took the day off cos I was feeling sick. Listening to the first few songs from GG's playlist again. I'm already liking the Genesis and Kayak tracks a lot more now than when I heard them for the first time. There's still hope for my prog journey! :rockon:

Zootlesque said:
Took the day off cos I was feeling sick. Listening to the first few songs from GG's playlist again. I'm already liking the Genesis and Kayak tracks a lot more now than when I heard them for the first time. There's still hope for my prog journey! :rockon:

Alright, Zootlesque! Usually things that are worthwhile take a little extra effort. And prog definitely needs more than one listen before you really start to enjoy it. :wink:

I really enjoyed Axver's playlist a lot. Great flow and great songs. There's a lot of stuff in there that I haven't heard (as you can tell by my list, I'm rather attached to 70s prog :wink: ). I should probably listen to some more modern prog though, as quite a few bands on the playlist still seem to be heavily influenced by the 70s sound that I love. Spock's Beard and Frost, to name two. There were a few songs I didn't enjoy very much, however... For instance, I don't think I'll be checking out Magellan or Circus Maximus any time soon. But wow, I have to get some more Riverside, pronto! The lead guitarist reminds me slightly of David Gilmour. Which is fantastic on the list because The Curtain Falls goes straight into Sorrow. I'm going to have to look into Subterranean Masquerade as well.

As for flow, there are some great transitions. I particularly enjoyed Utopia into Marillion. I don't know why, but Mountaintop Sunrise/Communion With The Sun has always reminded me of Egypt. Probably has something to do with the 'Ra Ra Ra!' chant. And Assassing has a decidedly Middle Eastern feeling to it during the intro. So the two just fit. Porcupine Tree into Dream Theater is also perfect. I'm not a huge Dream Theater fan, but Trial Of Tears is a fantastic song and works very well within the context of Anesthetize.

Overall, a great playlist with very nice flow! Thanks for introducing me to some bands I probably never would have found out about on my own. :up: I would have liked to see some more classics from the 70s in there, but as I said earlier, there are at least a few bands in the playlist that invoke the spirit of the 70s. It was tough deciding...I ended up voting for my list, only because I prefer the 70s sound and my list contains more of it.

GibsonGirl said:
I don't know why, but Mountaintop Sunrise/Communion With The Sun has always reminded me of Egypt. Probably has something to do with the 'Ra Ra Ra!' chant.

:giggle:

Ra, climbing the horizon
Rising up the mountain, lighting up the valley below
Ra, giver without measure
Beacon of compassion, shining through the spectrum of life
Day is born, night is gone
One in all, all is one
Communion with the sun
Ra, ruler of all nature
Burning on forever, melting all together in one
Ra, holy synthesizer
Inspiration showers green and growing gardens of love
Voices rise to the song
One in all, all is one
Communion with the sun, with the sun
Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra
Ra, climbing the horizon
Waves of light come rolling across the floor of the valley
Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra, Ra
Lift your eyes to the dawn
One in all, all is one
Communion with the sun

Last edited:
Okay, this was a really tough decision. Both playlists were great in their own way, but I think I'm going with GibsonGirl. There wasn't a single song in her playlist that I didn't enjoy (except maybe that Rush song), and the transitions from song to song were absolutely amazing...her playlist was somewhat easier to digest, but still challenging and so mesmerizing.

However, I'll definitely be giving Axver's another listen sometime soon, as I already mentioned, the last few tracks (even the 26-minute long one:wink:) were great, and I have a feeling that the more I listen, the more I'll learn to enjoy and appreciate them.

I'm particularly looking forward to hearing more Pure Reason Revolution songs, I really like what I've heard so far. :up:

This is fun, I never thought I could sit through 4 hours of Prog and not get restless. :lol:

Zootlesque said:
I'm already liking the Genesis and Kayak tracks a lot more now than when I heard them for the first time.

The Genesis song is a standout :drool:

As a few of us have mentioned the limited time to listen to the playlists, just wondering if there's a possibility of extending the deadline for voting. I really want to listen to both again, and I need more absorption time.

How about the end of the weekend? Like Monday? :wink:

angelordevil said:

As a few of us have mentioned the limited time to listen to the playlists, just wondering if there's a possibility of extending the deadline for voting. I really want to listen to both again, and I need more absorption time.

How about the end of the weekend? Like Monday? :wink:

:hmm: What we could do is make the 3rd round (which would start Saturday-ish in North America) last 72 hours giving people an extra day to listen to those last four playlists and maybe listen to the first four again. By the second round, the voting should be up along with the prog sinking in.

Would that sound good?

liamcool said:
For some reason, I predict getting annihilated next round.

I'll refrain from voting for now. If Axver had Pink Frost (damnit) in his playlist it would have gotten my vote immediately. But it doesn't.

My playlist WOULD have had Pink Frost if, you know, it were prog. I tried to find a Chills song that could possibly pass as prog, but ... while Martin Phillipps isn't Mr Conventional Songstyle, nothing comes off as prog.

And folks, Liam's tracklist will hopefully be uploaded by the end of today.

Wow, I'm getting roundly trashed in the voting by the standards of this competition. Ah well. By the comments, it seems the scoreline isn't reflective of how close people think it is, so that makes me feel a bit better.

GibsonGirl said:
I should probably listen to some more modern prog though, as quite a few bands on the playlist still seem to be heavily influenced by the 70s sound that I love. Spock's Beard and Frost, to name two. There were a few songs I didn't enjoy very much, however... For instance, I don't think I'll be checking out Magellan or Circus Maximus any time soon. [...] I'm going to have to look into Subterranean Masquerade as well.

I'm pretty sure you would enjoy Spock's Beard. In fact, while their proggier albums might not be to the tastes of everyone here, I think the average U2 fan would really enjoy the Day For Night album. It's like prog done in a pop-rock fashion and works extremely well.

As for Magellan, their only song I like is Estadium Nacional, so you're actually wise not to check out any more. The rest of the Impending Ascension album ranges from mediocre to garbage. But I really like Estadium Nacional and it works in context. I haven't heard any of their other albums.

And oh, please, don't look any further into Subterranean Masquerade! Heh. That song is very much the exception. Their sole album covers a lot of ground ... there just happens to be various styles of metal throughout that ground, including death growls here and there. It's a very, very interesting, artistic, and completely "out there" album, but I don't think it'd be for you.

liamcool said:
For some reason, I predict getting annihilated next round.

I'll refrain from voting for now. If Axver had Pink Frost (damnit) in his playlist it would have gotten my vote immediately. But it doesn't.

Haven't seen your list Liam, but I might be right there with you. Not only is my list from the jurassic age, but I've got guys singing in foreign languages. :huh:

Progressive rock for newcomers = a tough sell

Progressive rock sung in Italian = are you kidding me? :barf: :wink:

Listening to Perfect Sense from Screwtape's list. A song I never got real familiar with and don't have here at home. Been listening to it getting ready for tonight's show. :up: Thanks, Screwtape!

Love the 2001 voice-over by Hal. "Dave, my mind is going. There is no question about it"

The earlier rounds need to be longer. It's hard to find the 4 hours of time to listen to each list. I've only heard select songs from select playlists over the course of the last week. I may have to abstain from voting in certain rounds...

Off to see Waters :hyper:

hardyharhar said:
Listening to Perfect Sense from Screwtape's list. A song I never got real familiar with and don't have here at home. Been listening to it getting ready for tonight's show. :up: Thanks, Screwtape!

Love the 2001 voice-over by Hal. "Dave, my mind is going. There is no question about it"

You're welcome. I'm glad I've helped enhance your concert experience. :wink: The Hal-9000 intro is perfect along with everything else in the live version of the song.

I hope you enjoy the show. :wave: Remember to tell us all about it.

Lila64 said:

Off to see Waters :hyper:

I hope you have a great show as well, Lila. :wave:

Can somebody email me the last track (26 min) off Axver's playlist again? For some reason it didn't download the first time and I don't wanna download the whole thing again. Thanks!

muralee_s @hotmail.com.

Going by comments made here, maybe we should ask a mod to extend the voting period in this round?

Zootlesque said:
Can somebody email me the last track (26 min) off Axver's playlist again? For some reason it didn't download the first time and I don't wanna download the whole thing again. Thanks!

muralee_s @hotmail.com.

Actually, the second of my two links is solely to Stranger In Your Soul. So if you still have the original links, you can get it without downloading anything else. :)

Axver said:
Going by comments made here, maybe we should ask a mod to extend the voting period in this round?

My idea was this:

What we could do is make the 3rd round (which would start Saturday-ish in North America) last 72 hours giving people an extra day to listen to those last four playlists and maybe listen to the first four again. By the second round, the voting should be up along with the prog sinking in.

This round is won and I'd like to get on to the rest of the matches in this first round. Plus I suspect this matchup will appear again in the semi's.

Axver said:
What I find hilarious is that people will sit through 5-6 songs in 25 minutes, but if you get one song with the same amount of variation in that 25 minute period, they run in fear and whine about it being too long. :|

:lol: Maybe it's to do with being 16, a shortish attention span, but my mind just does seem to wander. I'm a victim of it on YouTube as well, I usually refrain from videos over five or six minutes in length.

Screwtape2 said:

:shifty: I've been listening to prog in all its extended glory since I was 7. :reject:

:lol: I was still in my "mAshEd PoTaTo mashed potato!! mashed banana mashed banana!! cold spahgetti cold spaghetti cold spaghetti....." phase at that age.

When I was seven, who needed music? I had Thomas The Tank Engine! HO scale model trains! The real deal a block away!

(Hell, who needs music now? I'm still a train nut.)

Also, I encountered a bit of a stuff-up with my upload of Liam's tracklist, so that's going to be delayed. Bah. I won't start the second round until his links are live. Screwtape, maybe I should make that one 72 hours long just so that people have a fair chance to download and play Liam's tracks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom