Profits from Edun, where do they go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hallucination

Refugee
I posted this in another room(inappropriate one) becasue I didn't know where it should go and it was busy at the time. I'm gonna post it one more time here. Hopefully it kinda belongs here.

Anyways can someone tell me where the profits from Edun go? On the site it says it's a for profit company but I thought it was non profit. I know the reason behind the company but I'm just wondering where the profits go? Thanks and sorry for posting it in one wrong room possibly two:reject:

:laugh: That's awsome. Nice to hear from you. So do you know where the profits from Edun go? I know it's about promoteing fair trade and employment and it's not about aid but who get's the money? I kinda told someone it's a non profit company but I'm thinkin' I'm wrong. Do the Hewson's collect fat checks off this? Not that it matters, it's their company I just want to have my facts straight.

It's a for-profit company so the profits would go to the owners of the company.

I'm assuming it's Ali and Bono, maybe perhaps the designer as well...

Who knows how it's officially owned?

EDUN is not a non-profit or a charity. It was designed to demonstrate a business model of how for-profit company's can make and sell products without exploiting labor and using cheap materials. I'm guessing profits go back to Ali, Bono, and Rogan Gregory. At this point I'm assuming most of that would be re-invested back into the company since it's so new and doesn't seem very popular outside of the U2 bubble. Whether or not they spend the profits on themselves or move it towards their other philanthropic activities is entirely their business.

Ya know what this is a really good question, i was wondering that myself. I went into Brown Thomas before christmas to buy myself a pair of Edun jeans and they were like 235 euro ( not to mention they looked like shite!!) and the bloody hoodies were 260euro, i thought to myself that's a bit on the expensive side, but if its for a good cause well i suppose i'd pay that. So i asked the assistant in Brown Thomas if the profits went to charity and she said that she thought they went to Bono and the missus, i mean does that guy not have enough fucking money without making more, he acts like he's mister charitable, but he's just as tight with money as other celebs are!! (If the profits do go to charity i apologise for my outburst!)

Lil'Bono said:
i mean does that guy not have enough fucking money without making more, he acts like he's mister charitable, but he's just as tight with money as other celebs are!! (If the profits do go to charity i apologise for my outburst!)

:rolleyes:

Most of the people here are assuming that the company is already profitable, after just a few months of being in the business. I guess that assumption is way off base.
If Edun ever gets profitable, then those profits will go to the owners. Who then decide what to do with it (buy a yacht or invest it further into the company, etc.).

Why should everything be a charity?

Someone can be "Mr. Charitable" and still have a business...why not? :shrug:

This is a demonstration that products of this quality can be made with respect to who makes the clothing as well as who buys it...maybe this will influence other designers to do the same.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
^
exactly. their prices are rediculous, which is why i ain't buying any edun shit... but if people will buy it, so be it.

and by the way, did you know that nude is edun backwards?

and ya know what else? bono is onob backwards. think about that one
in CA, ali has a speed limit of 15.

starsgoblue said:
This is a demonstration that products of this quality can be made with respect to who makes the clothing as well as who buys it...maybe this will influence other designers to do the same.

All it generally says to me is that:

"Unless you're rich and can afford to shop at Sak's Fifth Avenue, you can see why all you poor people have to exploit third-world labor to afford to clothe yourself."

But, seriously, maybe they should have done some research into ideological criticism, because the high prices, coupled with their "statement," are counterproductive.

Melon

melon said:

"Unless you're rich and can afford to shop at Sak's Fifth Avenue, you can see why all you poor people have to exploit third-world labor to afford to clothe yourself."

But, seriously, maybe they should have done some research into ideological criticism, because the high prices, coupled with their "statement," are counterproductive.

Melon

:up: seriously.

melon said:

Melon

It's supposed to be a higher-fashion line, not the simple "same old" clothes you can get at Old Navy or cheaper department stores. I suppose if they fired Rogan Gregory, they could make the clothes a lot cheaper, but after all, he's a fashion designer, and fashion designers don't come cheap. I've read a LOT on EDUN for my website (See sig) and I've never read anywhere that EDUN expects the average person to be buying their clothes:

Bono, Hewson and Rogan all say they know the success of Edun is dependent on its being taken seriously as a serious fashion brand, which is why 10 percent of the materials and manufacturing is being done by true craftsmen in places such as Italy and France.

Not Ali Hewson, founder of Edun. In fact, you could say her mission statement is to have the concept behind her new fashion label replicated the world over.

Hewson's goal is to build a business that makes beautiful clothing in developing countries, giving sustainable employment and providing trade potential.

“We want people to rip us off,” says Hewson of her business venture. “We are really trying to establish a business model with Edun.

“We want to prove that you can make a profit, while running a business in a responsible way.”

Meanwhile, Rogan is not the typical designer. Rogan Gregory is a creator of street-smart fashions that are still somehow natural clothes -- high-end and high-concept pieces

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I've read a LOT on EDUN for my website (See sig) and I've never read anywhere that EDUN expects the average person to be buying their clothes.

I'm sure that was their idea from the start. I'm just calling it a poorly executed idea. All it says, to me, is that if you want to end sweatshops, expect expensively priced clothing. In fact, all this does is *justify* why sweatshops exist.

Melon

melon said:

I'm sure that was their idea from the start. I'm just calling it a poorly executed idea. All it says, to me, is that if you want to end sweatshops, expect expensively priced clothing. In fact, all this does is *justify* why sweatshops exist.

Melon

That's true.

It still doesn't prove that reasonably priced (and I'm not talking about super bargin basement prices) clothing can be made at a profit without sweatshops, and it's too bad because I think that would really be something worth proving.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Look, dont get me wrong, i love Bono just as much as the rest of ya, but would he not even think of giving some of the money to his many charities. Maybe he does i dont know, i'm just going on what yer woman said to me in Brown Thomas, so dont jump down my throat, i am entitled to an opinion, people seem to forget that here sometimes!!!

Lil'Bono said:

Look, dont get me wrong, i love Bono just as much as the rest of ya, but would he not even think of giving some of the money to his many charities. Maybe he does i dont know, i'm just going on what yer woman said to me in Brown Thomas, so dont jump down my throat, i am entitled to an opinion, people seem to forget that here sometimes!!!

First of all a rolling of the eyes is not "jumping down someone's throat".

Secondly, this is what you said:

i mean does that guy not have enough fucking money without making more, he acts like he's mister charitable, but he's just as tight with money as other celebs are!!

I rolled my eyes because of the mentality that all charitable work is negated if the person is still making money themselves. That's a ridiculous notion, especially the way you expressed it. How can you fault the man for being a smart business man? I mean he's done more for certain causes than most others.

Plus the other big factor is that the business structure of a non-profit vs. a profit company are completely different and this type of company would probably never work under a non profit structure.

Who knows how much he gives privately?

Back
Top Bottom