Professional Wrestler Chris Benoit, Wife, and son found dead.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've read thios whole thing the last hour and a half...

all the while, hearing ONE TREE HILL...

this sucks.. big time :sad:

I'm... depressed, really

Im shocked :(

I just signed into MSN and saw Bono_212's screenmame ''RIP Chris Benoit'' and quickly went to a wresting forum i frequent.

This just awful, I can't believe this :huh:

WildHoneyAlways said:
This is a truly horrifying story. Did Benoit actually make it to the PPV event on Sunday?

No, he didn't make it to the PPV. He didn't make it to a house show on Saturday either. He was last seen on Friday.

What's a house show? Is it a wrestling thing or like a home show?

On a tv news report I saw they claimed his son had needle marks on his arms and that they have reason to believe he was being given growth hormones.

Last edited:
A house show is a non televised wrestling event.

Allegedly they were giving Daniel HGH shots because they flet he was small for his age.

the entire steroid angle of this story is a ginormous jump to conclusions...

first off, this was not a roid rage... this was done over a matter of days... it was deliberate. it was not a moment of rage.

and as for the kid taking HGH... it is something that can be prescribed by a doctor.

is it possible that, despite the fact that he's passed every steroid test he's been given, that benoit was, in fact, using steroids and the after effects, mood swings, rage, etc. etc. all snowballed into this tragic tragic event? sure, of course there is... but for pete's sake, can we at least wait for a toxicology report before we jump to that conclusion and all that comes with it?

Who adminstered the steroid tests that he passed - the WWE or some official governing body? Maybe it wasn't a "moment" of rage, but side effects do include aggression and depression (according to a couple of medical websites). Steroids were found in the house supposedly.

on the last test done on Benoit by WWE's independently administered drug testing program, done on April 10, 2007, Benoit tested negative.

if duke taught us anything, it's for fuck's sake can we wait for a toxicology report before we condem someone/something

and on that note, adios interference (for a while at least)

Maybe some pro bodybuilders test negative too, but I still think all those guys take steroids - IMO.

Wow, at least McMahon dropped the death gimmick. First time the dude has shown class in years. This really disgusts me, though. If the murder thing is true, just, damn.

An acquaintance of mine who is into professional wrestling talked online about the number of wrestlers who have died in recent years, and how there was no health care provided by the wrestling company (she referenced that the WWE wrestlers are considered "independent contractors"). Interesting to ponder when just today NFL people were up on Capitol Hill talking about the failure of properly caring for retired players.

That's neither here nor there in Benoit's case ... unless she's right in thinking maybe the autopsy of Benoit reveals massive head trauma from being repeatedly bashed in the head with a chair. It seems funny to type that, but what kind of precedence is there for people who repeatedly have their heads bashed with chairs or other big men? What does that do to a human brain after a while?

Anyway, I'm just parroting her thoughts, in the spirit of moving away from steroid assumptions.

Last edited:
Regardless of what caused Benoit to do this, I believe that wrestling is at a crossroads. Looking into how many wrestlers that have dropped dead soon after retiring or have killed themselves reveals some scary numbers. Crash Holly and the Big Boss Man immediately come to mind. Something is clearly wrong with the sport. The older generation of wrestlers haven't seem to have had the rash of deaths that the 80s onward wrestlers have had. Could it steriod induced? Sure. Could it be a result of the more aggressive style (chair shots, etc)? Sure. I'm really curious to see what McMahon and co do as a result of this.

I don't know much about wrestling, but I'm curious about this story, so I've been following it a bit yesterday and today. I read elsewhere about the difficult schedule these pro wrestlers keep, often performing while injured just to bring the money in. I'm sure that doesn't help the rash of deaths.

corianderstem said:
I don't know much about wrestling, but I'm curious about this story, so I've been following it a bit yesterday and today.

I think this is exactly why wrestling will have to face the music now because this story goes way beyond wrestling fans. A wrestler dying doesn't cause much of a ripple in the mainstream media, but this certainly does.

The common thread I've seen in all the chatter I've read today has been what a stand-up, all-around nice guy Benoit was.

It's just heartbreaking, trying to imagine what went so awfully wrong.

Strip away the fact that he was a professional wrestler.. And thin about what was his profession and that was pro-wrestling and that has NO TIME OFF and that demands a lot of a person...

His marriage was falling apart, his wife filed for divorce.. I believe his lively hood and his heart was his family, his wife and his son and that life he so much craved.

He had to balance between the 2 things he loved the most, his family and his profession. His profession was professional wrestling.. It's something that not a lot of people get out of because it sucks the life out of people. And for some people it was his life.

Then there was his life with his wife and his son. Something he had to escape from pro-wrestling. But at the same time there was something going wrong in his mind. There was something more going on because for christs sakes, he murdered his wife and his son.

I think a lot of media focus needs to go to his mindset but nobody else besides himself knew what he was thinking. I lump him together with just about every other news story I hear about a man killing his wife and his son and then taking his own life. I hear about this every now and then and for the first time I hear it happens to a "celebritiy" a well known public figure.

I know a lot of negative light is going to be shown on the world of wrestling and that's nothing new. People tend to view the world of pro-wrestling as negative anyway....

But I do think that pro-wrestling needs an off season. It's no different than any other tv show on tv or even a "real" sports profession. TV shows have downtime during the summer... Sports have off seasons.. I think it's time for pro wrestling to have an off season as well.

The WWE does not consider a test for steroids to be positive if the steroids prescribed by a doctor. :| The police disclosed that prescription anabolic steroids were found in the home. We'll wait for the tox screen I guess.

The following is a timeline, according to the WWE, of contact made between Benoit and various members of the company.

Based on comments made during last night's tribute show, I think it's safe to assume that the co-worker that Benoit initially spoke to on Saturday was Chavo Guerrero.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/detailedbenoittimeline

Detailed WWE/Benoit timeline

Written: June 26, 2007
Below is a detailed WWE/Chris Benoit timeline from Saturday to Monday:

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Chris Benoit was scheduled to appear at the WWE SmackDown/ ECW live event in Beaumont, Texas

3:30pm
A co-worker received a voice message from Benoit. The message from Benoit stated he missed his flight and over slept and would be late to the WWE Live Event. The co-worker called Benoit back, Benoit confirmed everything he said in his voice message and sounded tired and groggy. Benoit then stated, “I love you”. The co-worker stated that it was “out of context.”

3:42pm
The same co-worker was concerned with Benoit’s tone and demeanor and called Benoit for a second time. Benoit did not answer the call and the co-worker left a message stating “just call me back.”

3:44pm
Benoit called the co-worker back stating he didn’t answer the call because he was on the phone with Delta changing his flight. Benoit stated he had a real stressful day due to Nancy and Daniel being sick with food poisoning. They discussed travel plans for the WWE Tour of Texas with Benoit still sounding groggy at this point according to the co-worker.

4:30pm
A co-worker who consistently travels with Benoit, called Benoit from outside Houston airport and Benoit answered. Benoit told the co-worker that Nancy was throwing up blood and that Daniel was also throwing up. Benoit thought they had food poisoning. Benoit stated he changed his flight and he would be arriving into Houston at 6:30pm. Benoit told the co-worker to drive onto the WWE event.

5:35pm
Benoit called WWE Talent Relations stating that his son was throwing up and that he and Nancy were in the hospital with their son, and that Benoit would be taking a later flight into Houston, landing late, but would make the WWE live event in Beaumont.

6:10pm
A representative of Talent Relations called Benoit. The representative from Talent Relations asked Benoit what time Benoit was getting into Beaumont. Benoit responded he was leaving Atlanta at 9:20pm Eastern time arriving into Houston at 9:24pm Central time. The representative from Talent Relations advised Benoit that it would be too late to make the WWE live event in Beaumont. Benoit apologized citing he had a family emergency. The representative from Talent Relations suggested to Benoit that instead of going to the WWE live event in Beaumont, Benoit should take the flight to Houston, rest up and be ready for the Vengeance Pay-Per-View event.

6:13pm
The representative from Talent Relations called Benoit to reconfirm the travel plans with no answer from Benoit. The representative from Talent Relations left a voice message to take the flight and rest up.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Text messages sent to co-workers from Chris Benoit and Nancy Benoit’s cell phones:

Text Message 1
Sent to: Two Co-Workers (the same who had verbal correspondence with Benoit the day before)
When: 6/24 at 3:53am from
Message: C, S. My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane. Fayetteville Georgia. 30215

Text Message 2
Sent to: Two Co-Workers (the same who had verbal correspondence with Benoit the day before)
When: 6/24 at 3:53am
Message: The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open

Text Message 3
When: 6/24 at 3:54am
Message: C, S. My physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane. Fayetteville Georgia. 30215

Text Message 4
When: 6/24 at 3:55am

Text Message 5
Sent to: A Co-Worker who consistently traveled with Benoit
When: 6/24 at 3:58am
Message: My address is 130 Green Meadow Lane. Fayetteville Georgia. 30215

WWE made several attempts to contact Benoit via phone and text messages, as well as, the local hospitals in the Atlanta area. As of 11:00 pm Sunday night there was no contact made with Benoit.

Monday, June 25, 2007

12:30pm
WWE was notified of text messages sent to the two co-workers.

12:45pm
WWE contacted the Fayetteville County Sheriff’s office and requested them to go to Benoit’s
residence

4:00pm
WWE received a call from the Fayetteville County Sheriff’s office, advising that they entered
the house of Benoit and found 3 deceased bodies (a male, a female and a child). The Fayette County Sheriff’s office has secured the house as a “major crime scene” and that the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office had no further information.

Last edited:
Oh, and in light of recent developments the WWE has removed any and all references, besides the timeline, to Benoit and Monday night's tribute show from their website.

A message from the Chairman

Written: June 26, 2007
The following message from Vince McMahon aired at the beginning of Tuesday's ECW on Sci Fi:

Last night on Monday Night Raw, the WWE presented a special tribute show, recognizing the career of Chris Benoit. However, now some 26 hours later, the facts of this horrific tragedy are now apparent. Therefore, other than my comments, there will be no mention of Mr. Benoit tonight. On the contrary, tonight's show will be dedicated to everyone who has been affected by this terrible incident. This evening marks the first step of the healing process. Tonight, the WWE performers will do what they do better than anyone else in the world – entertain you.

This probably explains why the child had gotten growth hormones:

The boy had old needle marks in his arms, Ballard said. He said he had been told the parents considered him undersized and had given him growth hormones.

"The boy was very small, even dwarfed," Ballard said.

link

The WWE is firing back at claims that the murders/suicide by former wrestling champion Chris Benoit were the result of "roid rage."

After local authorities revealed that steroids were found at the chilling murder scene, several media outlets claimed that a violent reaction caused by use of the supplements may have contributed Benoit's murderous behavior. The WWE claims that assumption is pure bullshit, although they name no criminal, psychopharmaceutical or hormone expert as the source of their claims.

In a statement released to TMZ, WWE reps claim that the proof is in the Bibles left at the feet of Benoit's two victims. "The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage. The wife's feet and hands were bound and she was asphyxiated, not beaten to death. By the account of the authorities, there were substantial periods of time between the death of the wife and the death of the son, again suggesting deliberate thought, not rage. The presence of a Bible by each is also not an act of rage."

The WWE also claims that Benoit tested negative for steroids in the company's independently administered drug testing program, done on April 10, 2007.

In other words, WWE wants to make sure that no one thinks they are responsible for Benoit's mistakes.
WWE is trying to cover their ass at this point.
McMahon said the healing process has begun. How does WWE begin that process? By deleting Benoit from everything he was involved in. The guy was with WWE for 7 years. That's a lot to get rid of. Especially WM 20, when Benoit and Eddie had their big moment. Now WWE can't even show that anymore. This tragedy is the worst thing that has ever happened in pro wrestling. Even worse then Owen dying because Owen didn't kill anyone else. I hate the fact that a guy who was supposed to carry the torch for guys like Bret, Owen, Davey Boy, Perfect and Eddie has left the world this way.

When these things happen, you try to look for the explanation of what could possible have gone this wrong. I´m not so sure I want to know this time.

It was easy to sort of "dismiss" it, in a way, before, as ´roid rage but this just seems to much of a stress considering how much time passed between each death. :huh: What a horrible story.

This might shed a bit more light on the stresses faced, and may, in a warped way, at least partially explain why the child was killed.

ATLANTA - In the days before pro wrestler Chris Benoit killed his wife and child and hanged himself, the couple argued over whether he should stay home more to take care of their mentally retarded 7-year-old son, an attorney for the wrestling league said Wednesday.

"I think it's fair to say that the subject of caring for that child was part of what made their relationship complicated and difficult, and it's something they were both constantly struggling with," said Jerry McDevitt, an attorney for World Wrestling Entertainment. "We do know it was a source of stress and consternation."

McDevitt said the wrestling organization learned from the couple's friends and relatives that the Benoits were struggling with where to send the boy to school since he had recently finished kindergarten.

He also said Benoit's wife didn't want him to quit wrestling, but she "wanted him to be at home more to care for the kid. She'd say she can't take care of him by himself when he was on the road."

The child suffered from a rare medical condition called Fragile X Syndrome, an inherited form of mental retardation often accompanied by autism, McDevitt said.

Over the past weekend, authorities said, Benoit strangled his wife, suffocated his son and placed a Bible next to their bodies before hanging himself with a weight-machine cable in the couple's suburban home. No motive was offered for the killings, which were discovered Monday.

BonoManiac said:
Text Message 2
When: 6/24 at 3:53am
Message: The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open

This one is the scariest :huh:

Also, it was in the earlier reposts, the police said that the dogs were loose, and they had to get past them in order to enter the house.

I hate the fact that the WWE are practically deleting Benoit from their lives...

It's horrible what he did, but that doesn't have to be the ONE thing we should remember about him, one of the bes, if no THE BEST wrestler EVER...

As i saw on a website today, I don't want Chris to become the OJ of wrestling... have his great life overshadowed by what he did...

:(

Chris Benoit ruled the f'n world on WM XX and beyond, and you know it... thanks for the memories

pepokiss said:
I hate the fact that the WWE are practically deleting Benoit from their lives...

It's horrible what he did, but that doesn't have to be the ONE thing we should remember about him, one of the bes, if no THE BEST wrestler EVER...

As i saw on a website today, I don't want Chris to become the OJ of wrestling... have his great life overshadowed by what he did...

:(

When you talk to parents, most of them consider their children to be their greatest accomplishment. I feel that what ever else he did will be negated by murdering his child and his wife.

Back
Top Bottom