Preliminary Discussion for namkcuR's next Best Song Survivor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which one?

• Radiohead

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Led Zeppelin

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Well folks, the Best Beatles Song Survivor is over and I am itching to get a new one started.

This is the preliminary discussion where the subject of this new competition will be decided upon.

I've narrowed it down to two bands that I'm interested in running it for. They both have problems, which I will outline below:

1.Radiohead

I'm sure this would get a shitload of participation. But there is a concern I have: Any debate that occured during the Beatles survivor will be child's play compared to what will happen with an RH survivor. I can think of few bands that get people here fired up and emotional the way RH does. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't want any thread in a potential RH survivor devolving into name-calling and things of that nature. Plus I am concerned about certain people who have certain negative opinions about RH and who have a certain penchant for disrupting many RH threads. A giant pro, however, is the fact that the competition would be wiiiiide open. Any number of songs could win it. Anyway, this is option 1.

2.Led Zeppelin

I think LZ would be a really interesting band to run a survivor for They have a tremendous catalog of rock music. The main problem is Stairway To Heaven. There is no conceivable way that STH won't win the whole thing. As sure as the sun will rise in the East tomorrow morning, STH will win the competition. With that kind of predictability, the competition becomes sort of pointless. It seems to me that a 'Best Non-STH LZ Song' Survivor would be more interesting.

Anyway, those are the two options. I know it seems kind of unfair that I get to narrow the field down to two all by myself, but I am going to be running the thing, and I think it only fair that I get to make sure I'm running it for a band I want to run it for :)

Have at it!

Last edited:
Damnit, I was hoping it'd be a band I'm interested in. Ah well, at least we've got the Pink Floyd survivor - which in fact makes me wonder why we need another running at the same time. I thought the PF survivor shouldn't have started until the Beatles one was over.

Personally, I don't see why we're not doing REM. I mean, this is a U2 fan site and there seems to be a huge crossover between U2 and REM fans.

Axver said:
Damnit, I was hoping it'd be a band I'm interested in.

:yes:

Personally, I don't see why we're not doing REM. I mean, this is a U2 fan site and there seems to be a huge crossover between U2 and REM fans.

:yes: :yes:

I don't mean to rain on your parade nam but I think you should maybe wait till the Pink Floyd survivor is close to completion. Otherwise there's gonna be too many poll threads here. And people who don't like these threads are gonna start complaining.

That said, as of right now I'd be more interested in an REM survivor than anything else. But I'll vote Led Zep here... only because Radiohead will get a guaranteed shit load of votes! :p

I'd have to pass on both Radiohead and Zeppelin. But hey, more power to you if that's what you want to do.

I might lurk in the Radiohead polls just to sit back and watch the claws come out, though. :wink:

namkcuR said:
As sure as the sun will rise in the East tomorrow morning, STH will win the competition.

False. Similarly, just because Everybody Hurts was played to death, doesn't mean that it would win an REM survivor on interference. I guarantee you that both Black Dog and WTLB would have a better shot at winning the IV draw.

Anyway, I voted Radiohead because I figure it'll be a bit less predictable.

Radiohead, because I like them more.

David Bowie would be my prime choice though.

Radiohead obviously.

More votes, more heated debate, and I'd actually feel like participating in it.

Led Zep are one of the more boring and redundant bands on the planet.

Lancemc said:

:tsk: You were already on thin ice for your bashing of In Rainbows, but now you just set a lead block right next to you.

Lancemc said:

I'm concerned for your health.

Please get yourself to a hospital immediately. Actually, I'll call a paramedic. Someone this delusional probably can't find their own way to the emergency room.

lazarus said:
Anything Mr. "No Guitars" says has to be taken with a grain of salt, LM.

Indeed.

But "redundant"? Really, now. Houses of The Holy and Physical Graffiti are two of the most eclectic rock albums of the 70's. :tsk:

I don't see why I should wait for the PF Survivor to be completed. If both COBL and I remember to make a new thread each day, that means a max of two poll threads per day will be on the front page of B&C. That's not that much. The PF Survivor(which was started out of the blue, with no discussion, btw) has been going on for basically the whole final draw of the Beatles survivor and there hasn't been a single complaint nor have the two competitions had any effect whatsoever on each other. Moreoever, it's not like the PF Survivor is going to be finished next week - it's going to take a long time.

I don't see a problem here.

Leaning towards Radiohead currently.

There was plenty of discussion about Pink Floyd survivor in the Pink Floyd thread... :scratch:

Do whatever you like, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom