post your simplest but delicious recipes here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foray

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I've exhausted my little recipe book. Need tips. I cook all kinds of food, don't worry - Chinese, Italian, Western etc. Just keep it simple, 'kay?

foray

U2Bama's Famous Chicken Kabobs

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast strips
1/2 cup Hidden Valley Ranch dressing
1/2 cup steak marinade, worcestershire sauce or soy sauce based, such as Dale's Seasoning or Moore's Marinade found in Birmingham, Alabama, USA
1-2 fresh tomatoes
1 vidalia onion
12 medium-sized pepperoncini peppers (or, "Greek" or banana peppers)
1 small package of whole mushrooms
salt & pepper

Sprinkle salt and pepper generously on the bottom of a medium sized marinating dish, then pour half of the Ranch dressing and steak marinade in the dish. Spread chicken pieces flat on dish. Sprinle salt and pepper on TOP of chicken, then pour remainder of Ranch dressing and steak marinade evenly over chicken. Set in refrigerator for 1-2 hours.

Spray grill lightly with PAM olive oil. As grill is heating to a low flame, retrieve chicken from refrigerator.

Slice tomatoes and onion into 1-inch cubed slices.

Alternately place chicken, tomato pieces, onion pieces, mushrroms and pepperoncini onto 3 or 4 skewers.

Place skewers on grill for about 10-12 minutes, turning half way through.

Remove from grill and wrap in aluminum foil. Return wrapped package to grill for about 15-20 minutes.

Remove from grill and serve over rice pilaf or with stuffed baked potatoes.

Enjoy.

~U2Alabama

P.S. You may also substitute beef or pork for the chicken, although the pork may be a problem in Malaysia. Also, some use bland green bell peppers instead of the tastier pepperoncini.

~U2Alabama

lol of course we have pork in Malaysia, most people don't really care about the Japanese Encephalitis. Thanks Bama, you rock.

foray

http://www.quickneasyrecipes.com

That website rocks! I don't cook much...I am notorious for the times I screwed up spaghetti and one of those Jell-O No Bake desserts. Which meant that it took me 4 hours to do one of those "Quick 'n' Easy" recipes, but I'm sure a normal person could make taco casserole a little faster.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I Can Lose Myself, You I Can't Live Without"

I like this one,

put unions, tomatoes, eggs ( ecologic )
and fried them together in a pan.
Put peper & salt on it and eat it
whit bread. Quick and tatsty.
O, and i bake it in oliveoil.

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

That sounds more like a breakfast to me, Rono
smile.gif

Bonochick, thanks for that excellent link. Any of those recipes you've tried and tested?

foray

Chicken Three Pepper Fajitas:

1 pound boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
1 large onion, chopped
1 each: green yellow red peppers, sliced into thin strips
1 Tbls. vegetable oil
1 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cilantro
approx. 1/2 cup orange juice
few dashes of hot sauce
tortillas, warmed

Place all ingredients in a skillet or stir fry pan, lightly stirring until chicken is cooked through. When cooked, spoon into warm tortillas.

This is soooo easy to make and one of m favorite dishes!

Originally posted by foray:
lol of course we have pork in Malaysia, most people don't really care about the Japanese Encephalitis. Thanks Bama, you rock.

foray

I guess I was referring to Halal customs. My Muslim friend who owns the deli down the street does not serve pork; the ham & cheese pita wrap and the B.L.T. inlcude beef ham & bacon instead of pork.

~U2Alabama

Toast:
Insert bread into toaster.
Push down plunger.
When toaster pops, remove bread.
Apply butter or jelly if desired.
Eat.

Doesn't get any simpler than that!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

------------------
The joker is the best card.

Funny you should mention recipes today foray. I was celebrating and hour ago.."I made yoghurt, I made yoghurt" my first batch and it worked!!! I was expecting a disaster. My boys are all teenagers now and I have to find cheap ways of feeding them.
I'm lactose intolerant, so yesterday I put half a pawpaw and some soy milk in the blender, delicsh, but couldn't drink it all. Put the remainder in the fridge and 5 hours later accidently made a deliciously textured fruche/mousse kind of creation. You can also freeze a banana, put it in the blender and the result really tastes like ice cream. I miss my dairy products badly sometimes.
I was actually thinking yesterday, how many meals have I cooked in 22 years?...and then decided not to go down that path...luckily I really enjoy preparing fresh ingredients, not real fussed on the eating and definitely HATE washing dishes. But I was very excited about food this a.m. I made yoghurt...cheaply!!!!(now I have to make strawberry sauce to sweeten it..experimental, all good fun)

PS He liked it!!! My grumpiest son is the big yoghurt eater. I was sure he was going to be his usual self and say it tastes like *!@* when he got home from school. He likes it!!Phew. Little pleasures
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by cass (edited 08-28-2001).]

Sugar cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup butter (or shortening)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl. Cream together sugar and butter, then add egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and beat together. Roll into balls in sugar. Put on cookie sheet. Do not press down. Bake at 375 for about 12 minutes or until lightly brown.

These are fabulous; I've gotten marriage proposals out of these. Some tips: 1. Cream the butter by itself first, until it's light yellow, then add the sugar and continue creaming. 2. Shortening will make the cookies firmer, but not as buttery and delicious. Let's not even talk about "butter flavored" shortening. UGH. 3. If the dough won't hold together in a ball as you roll it, you will have the lightest, most delicious cookies ever.

Enjoy.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

Well,

This is what i eat this evening,

Rice, cooked. White cabbage in little
pieces steamed whit oliveoil. I mixed
it whit,sojassauce, laos, garlic,
koriander ( i do not know the english word )
and curry.
Served whit a currysauce.

So, no meat, lots of healty stuff and low salt.

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

1 Elephant (medium)
Brown Gravy (Watkins Beef Soup & Gravy Base)
Watkins Sea Salt & Watkins Pepper
Two Rabbits (optional)

Cut elephant into small bite sized pieces. This should take only about two months. Add enough gravy to cover.
Cook over kerosene fire for about four weeks at 465 degrees. Makes about 3,800 servings. To extend it add rabbits, but do this only if necessary as most people do not like to find hare in their stew.

------------------
"I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens", Woody Allen

Hmm. You know fors, my fave kitchen item is my wok.

I usuaslly raid the fridsge for veggies, some meat if we have any, chuck in some sauce: oyster, soy, beef and black bean whatever, and bobs your uncle. The beauty of my simplistic approach to cooking is 1. you can never stuff it up, 2. rice goes with pretty much anything you cook with and 3. you can use whatever meat or just veggies you want.

My fave of the month is:
1 mushroom (the big ones)
1 green (or red) capsicum
1 onion
couple of carrots
cauliflower
broccoli if you like it
bamboo shoots
water chestnuts
and a slab of boneless meat (insert fave type here)

drop some oil in the pan (wok) cook your veg for a bit, drain and add meat with sauce, brown it up, add the veggies again. Steam the rice and you even have some for leftovers or lunch the next day

Another fave is my latest fish dish
get a slab of fish. bream or trout works best, cos cod is kinda too yellow.
in a flat frying pan put in a mix of lemon juice and marg (if you need it). get some potato flour or rice flour and mix it with some wedge sprinkle (near the salt and pepper in the supermarket) also add in as much pepper as you like. soak the fish bits in more lemon juice and then coat liberally (i love that word in cooking!) with the dry mix of flour sprinkle and pepper. pop it in the hot pan and fry. Dont use any oil or anything though.
Steam some broccoli, zucchini, spuds and cauliflower. Make some white sauce and chop up some chives to mix in it.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

I haven't replied to a topic in weeks, but you got me with this one, foray.. I love to cook and i really love to eat! Here are some of my favorites at the moment:

1. Very Simple Fetuccine with Fresh Vegetables

(I'm approximating the quantities here because i made this up myself. Feel free to add or substitute vegetables depending on taste and availabitly)

8 oz. Fetuccine pasta
Several handfuls of fresh green (string) beans, whole
1 very large ripe tomato or 2-3 small ones, diced into large chunks
1/2 or 1 whole red bell pepper, cut into large pieces
Fresh cilantro (aka fresh coriander) or basil or parsely, chopped
Romano or Parmesan cheese (not Kraft), shredded
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Add pasta to boiling water. Cooking time for fetuccine is seven minutes. During the last 3 minutes of cooking time, add the fresh green beans to the boling water. Drain. Toss pasta and green beans with olive oil. Add fresh tomatoes, fresh red bell peppers, salt, pepper, and more olive oil (if desired) to each individual serving and combine. Top with romano or parmesan cheese and fresh herb of choice.

2. Very Simple Filet of Fish

Filet of (preferably fresh) fish of your choice
Very thinly sliced rounds of onion, depending on taste
Olive Oil
Fresh cilantro or parsley
Fresh lime or lemon
Salt & Pepper

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees (this even works in a small toaster-oven).
Place filet(s) in small Pyrex dish (or other oven safe dish ... heavy-duty tin foil even works if you make it with edges so the juices don't drip)
Brush filet(s) with olive oil, top with onions, and sprinkle with lime, herbs, salt and pepper on both sides.
Bake uncovered for about 10 minutes or longer depending on thickness of the filet.

3. My Favorite Sandwich

One plain Bagel--fresh or frozen ("Lender's Big & Crusty," highly recommended),sliced in two and toasted.
Spread Cream Cheese on both sides.
Add slices of turkey breast.
Top with tomato slices and alfalfa (or other little green) sprouts (lettuce can be substituted here..i know sprouts are sort of a weird thing to like). Mmmm...enjoy!

[This message has been edited by grace (edited 08-31-2001).]

Here's a easy recipy

1 tub o' ice cream
1 spoon

Put the spoon in the tub o' ice cream.

Take the spoon out of the tub an (this is very important) make sure that the spoon is covered in ice cream.

Put the ice cream covered spoon in your mouth.

Repeat.

Okay, a good, simple recipe -- but the idea doesn't occur to many people:

A PEANUT BUTTER, BANANA, AND HONEY SANDWICH.

Just put the three ingrediates on a slice of bread in the order above.

OH, and be prepared for messy eating.
smile.gif

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Very cool, folks. Thanks! Hey I got a few simple ones; they're healthy too.

Tofu #1

Tofu - the very soft kind, and not silken tofu
light soya sauce
oyster sauce
garlic, chopped
spring onions & fried onions (for garnish)

Steam tofu (large chunks so it doesn't crack up easily), add both sauces according to how salty you want it, add garlic. Steam for 20 mins thereabouts. Serve with garnish.

Tofu #2

Tofu, doesn't have to be soft this time
ginger, the more the better
chilli, just a smidgen
light soya sauce - or any light sauce, really, inc. Japanese sauces.

Marinade tofu with ginger, sauce, 1/8 teaspoon of chilli (depends on how hot you can take it) and a little water added. Leave for a few hours. Stirfry. You may add dried shrimps/spring onions/oyster sauce/anything you want.

foray

Back
Top Bottom