post the name and/or cover of an album you find terribly overrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMacPhisto said:

Turn on the Bright Lights, Silent Alarm, and Funeral are reals albums.

Franz Ferdinand, Hot Fuss, and Is This It are collections of singles.

I think if you judge them that way, it does more justice to the album themselves.

hmm, I agree with that. though those three albums still have a nice cohesive feeling to them. the songs feel right together, there are common themes, etc. but you're right, Turn on the Bright Lights, Silent Alarm, and Funeral are more "albums," they're heavier, they demand respect. The others demand that you dance :wink:

yeah I don't know what the fuck happened to brandon flowers but I hope he gets his regular voice back

Zootlesque said:
Parachutes is a really beautiful album but certain things about Chris Martin's singing bug me... like the odd falsetto when he sings "they're just spies..." :no:

agreed.

also, his lyrics pretty much suck

Rush of Blood is a better album

AtomicBono said:

Rush of Blood is a better album

I agree. :drool:

Btw, Sam's Town could have been so much better had Brandon not sung those songs in such an exaggerated manner. It sounds like he is trying too hard to be considered one of the greats like U2 or Springsteen. He sounded cool, calm and collected on Hot Fuss. I think Sam's Town is actually a strong collection of songs ruined by Flowers' voice.

Lara Mullen said:

Finding something overrated does not mean someone does not like it.

I own a lot of the stuff by the bands I think are overrated. I just don't think it's as great as the hype makes it out to be.

okay, I get what you mean.

but through the thread you mentioned what you thought was overrated, so I that left me wondering what you think is underrated.

elevation2u said:
BORN IN THE USA
one of my all time favorite artists, it's a shame his most famous album is one of his worst. honestly, i can't listen to it without wanting to jam a sharp object into my eye.
B00008Z5G9.03._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

victim of the '80s production values.

Zootlesque said:

I agree. :drool:

Btw, Sam's Town could have been so much better had Brandon not sung those songs in such an exaggerated manner. It sounds like he is trying too hard to be considered one of the greats like U2 or Springsteen. He sounded cool, calm and collected on Hot Fuss. I think Sam's Town is actually a strong collection of songs ruined by Flowers' voice.

nahh musically it's kind of a clusterfuck too

maybe it's just not my style. but i hate the production, it's trying so hard to sound "big." keyword there being trying.

there are some good songs on there though. Uncle Jonny, When You Were Young, Read My Mind .. :up:

Rush Of Blood is great, but Parachutes has a certain ambiance about it...I can't explain it any better than that. However...if I had to pick one, I would probably begrudgingly take Rush.

ROBTTH=Parachutes>>>>>>>>X&Y

Parachutes was the last album where the members of Coldplay seemed to have a collective pulse.

Now I'm not so sure. Those might just be wax models of themselves while onstage. That would explain the static setlists. :|

LemonMelon said:
Parachutes was the last album where the members of Coldplay seemed to have a collective pulse.

Now I'm not so sure. Those might just be wax models of themselves while onstage. That would explain the static setlists. :|

they were replaced by the same type of robots Aerosmith was replaced by in the '80s.

In other words, they're Cylons.

AtomicBono said:
nahh musically it's kind of a clusterfuck too

Well... My List does take forever to get going. I hate that intro! You know what I hate worse than that intro? Brandon's singing during that intro! But once it gets going and the music is all loud, I love it. Why Do I Keep Counting is pretty much the same for me. I love the chorus but not crazy about the verses. Bones is just bad. :lol:

xaviMF22 said:

That makes me think of

U2

:wink:

Nah, U2 has far more variety in their sets than Coldplay. Then again, it's not worth comparing because U2 has 12 (yes, I'm counting Passengers, bitches :wink: ) albums of material to take from, while Coldplay has two.

No, X&Y isn't a Coldplay album. It's a masseuse tape they stole from a local spa.

LemonMelon said:

Nah, U2 has far more variety in their sets than Coldplay. Then again, it's not worth comparing because U2 has 12 (yes, I'm counting Passengers, bitches :wink: ) albums of material to take from, while Coldplay has two.

U2 has a such a great catalog of songs and yet they insist on playing
Pride, One, BTBS... every single night....

heck they'll even play vertigo twice sometimes.....bitches:tsk:

LemonMelon said:

No, X&Y isn't a Coldplay album. It's a masseuse tape they stole from a local spa.

I was going to say muzak in a dentist's office, but that works too.

LemonMacPhisto said:

okay, I get what you mean.

but through the thread you mentioned what you thought was overrated, so I that left me wondering what you think is underrated.

it's all personal opinion anyway, i'm sure others can find a lot more stuff that is overrated than what i had mentioned. most of what I thought in my post was overrated were albums other people had already spoken about and the rest was stuff they are never done playing on the radio/talking about in magazines here.

there are a whole host of albums i like better and think deserve a lot more credit that are overlooked (i can talk about that in the underrated thread). :up:

Lara Mullen said:

it's all personal opinion anyway, i'm sure others can find a lot more stuff that is overrated than what i had mentioned. most of what I thought in my post was overrated were albums other people had already spoken about and the rest was stuff they are never done playing on the radio/talking about in magazines here.

there are a whole host of albums i like better and think deserve a lot more credit that are overlooked (i can talk about that in the underrated thread). :up:

I definitely agree with you there. Onto the underrated thread!

Zootlesque said:

Seriously! :lol:

Seriously.

There are more albums released in a week than what I mentioned, no need to get too worked up or post a lame, mocking reply like that.

Lara Mullen said:

Finding something overrated does not mean someone does not like it.
apparently whining on about coldplay is easier than reading a thread title

and Chris Martin is a sucky lyricist if alone for the line "you can take a picture of something you see"

wow ..... really Chris?

U2Man said:
the only truly great song oasis has ever written is dont look back in anger. there are some funny listenable ones among the rest, but nothing particularly interesting. they aaaaalwaaaays drown themselves out in guitar noise when they know that the song they're playing is really rather crappy.
I like to think that a good artist starts out quietly and brings a song to a crashing climax. Oasis starts out in a cacophony of noise and never really gives the listener a chance to appreciate the melodic songwriting - which ain't bad. It just ain't great.

As far as Sam's Town, I actually let that album grow on me and there's a lot to like. The opening track is almost worth the price of admission. I think I can even learn to put up with Bones, when you look at the album in the context of The Killers - which is a very silly context indeed :drunk:

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
I like to think that a good artist starts out quietly and brings a song to a crashing climax. Oasis starts out in a cacophony of noise and never really gives the listener a chance to appreciate the melodic songwriting - which ain't bad. It just ain't great.

As far as Sam's Town, I actually let that album grow on me and there's a lot to like. The opening track is almost worth the price of admission. I think I can even learn to put up with Bones, when you look at the album in the context of The Killers - which is a very silly context indeed :drunk:

I agree, but they have a few songs that actually do that.

Listen to "Magic Pie" off of Be Here Now. It's all Noel, it starts off with a slow little jam that builds as it goes on and has a pretty satisfying climax.

Canadiens1160 said:

I've only had a preview of the tracks in HMV, is there anything worth having a listen to from that album? I haven't given the Killers a proper chance yet :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom