Post All Oscar Discussion Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen Lotr, Chicago and Gangs... I loved them all! Gangs was a bit boring sometimes, but on the other hand it had some amazing scenes too. Chicago was really cool too... but my heart belongs to LOTR!

The only one I haven't seen is The Pianist.

My vote goes to The Hours. That movie stayed w/ me..I saw it months ago, and I still think about it. Maybe it just touched me for personal reasons, but it was the kind of movie I love, and the kind I wish Hollywood would make far more often.

I loved Chicago, and I'm 99% sure it will win Best Picture. After Renee's win at the SAG awards, she might win the Oscar too. Nicole was the early frontrunner, but there is talk about Julianne too.

Has anyone seen Far From Heaven? I haven't

I thought Nicole was fabu in The Hours - but it was such a small part. A very affecting part - but small nonetheless... She had as much or smaller screen time then Catherine Z-J in Chicago and she's up for Best Supporting. Odd.

I have no idea who should win Best Actress. I didn't think Renee was all tooo impressive. But loved Chicago nonetheless. :heart:

HelloAngel said:
I thought Nicole was fabu in The Hours - but it was such a small part. A very affecting part - but small nonetheless... She had as much or smaller screen time then Catherine Z-J in Chicago and she's up for Best Supporting. Odd.

It all has to do with the filmakers wanting to get as many awards as possible for their film. Because, when it comes down to it, more Oscars = more money. Catherine was not in a supporting role, but if she and Renee were in the same category, only one of them could win. Now they both could win, increasing the total award count for the movie. Same with The Hours. All three actresses were in the film for roughly the same amount of time, yet Julianne is up for best supporting actress and Nicole is up for lead actress. On one hand it's nice that both could win for such fine performances, but it also means that people in *actual* supporting roles (like Queen Latifah, who was superb) get overlooked. It really is interesting how this ends up working.

I've seen all of them. The Hours was my personal favorite and I'd like to see it win, but Hollywood seems to be ga ga over Chicago. I hate musicals but even I sorta liked it and even though Renee bugs the shit out of me, she really rose to the occasion and was perfect in a hugely challenging role. I dread seeing her emotional annoying acceptance speech. :barf:

I think Chicago will get best film while Scorcese gets best director (which is always weird when that happens since those two awards theoretically should go hand in hand).

Reflections on the Hours (more complete, spoilers):

In short, excellent film. The acting was top-notch, and I absolutely loved the score. What bugged me was the complete abruptness of the ending. I felt it was missing a huge chunk in between somehow. I haven't read either the original novel or Mrs Dalloway, so perhaps I'm missing something, but I completely lost the plot somewhere in between. Maybe it was too engaging. I'm actually going to try and download this (goodness knows how you people do it, I get crap speeds on Kazaa everytime I try) and go to bed soon, and watch Mrs Dalloway on Sunday (which my arts channel is so conveniently screening). Cheers. This is the movie I'll be rooting for, by the way, although in all probability Chicago will win.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Reflections on the Hours (more complete, spoilers):

In short, excellent film. The acting was top-notch, and I absolutely loved the score. What bugged me was the complete abruptness of the ending. I felt it was missing a huge chunk in between somehow. I haven't read either the original novel or Mrs Dalloway, so perhaps I'm missing something, but I completely lost the plot somewhere in between. Maybe it was too engaging. I'm actually going to try and download this (goodness knows how you people do it, I get crap speeds on Kazaa everytime I try) and go to bed soon, and watch Mrs Dalloway on Sunday (which my arts channel is so conveniently screening). Cheers. This is the movie I'll be rooting for, by the way, although in all probability Chicago will win.

I read the book and the film was pretty loyal. There was more going on in the characters' subjective dialogue that you had to get nonverbally in the film, but there was nothing missing in terms of outer events. But I know what you mean...the ending is a bit abrupt and I was particularly disatisfied with Meryl Streep's character's response...the film makes it seems almost like it's all resolved for her but I think she's just in shock.

I would obstain from voting, because I think "Adaptation" was the best film of the year.

Chicago was okay, and I never saw 'The Hours", "LOTR: Part 2" ;), "Gangs of New York", or "The Pianist". I consider them all to be too dramatically depressing for the times we're living in, so I'm more interested and entralled in comedies and touching, uplifting stories.

I hope U2 wins, but that's about it. :)

HelloAngel said:
The Hours haunted me for weeks. Really really really heavy, intense film. WOW. :sad:
Indeed. I found Julianne Moore's character just tormenting. I wanted to jump into the movie and hug her little boy. :(

Angel said:

Indeed. I found Julianne Moore's character just tormenting. I wanted to jump into the movie and hug her little boy. :(

OMG, that little boy! His eyes! :hug:

Julieanne Moore was amazing. She really made that character incredibly sympathetic.

I think Chicago will win. This is the first year in a long time that I have really liked the majority of the films nominated. I loved both Chicago and The Hours. The acting in The Hours was amazing and the movie actually had me choking up which rarely happens.

I think Catherine could stand a chance for supporting actress. The SAG could help Renee but I would lean more toward Nicole or Julienne. I would pick Daniel Day-Lewis for best actor and I think it's a good possibilty that they could give Marty best director...not necessarily for Gangs but for his body of work.

And U2 will win...they just have to. The song from Chicago could win but it didnt really stand out from the others in the movie.

Why wasnt Gollum given a support acting nomination oh and whilst we are at it, why wasnt Orlando Bloom given one either:)

anyways I think it will be Gangs all the way, It hink Chicago will get all the musical stuff- like sound editing, costume bla, bla, bla and gangs will nab the rest like pic, director, actor and I do think that Nicole will nab the actress gong, now the supports I dont really know- even race I think, although I do have one bone of contention- why do the Academy always snob Leonardo- he was amazing in Gangs and really is such a great actor- I cant believe that they have only once nominated him for Gilber Grape- get with the times Academy.........!!!

I'm absolutely flat out bummed that neither of Adaptation or City Of God were nominated for best film. If Chicago wins I'll also be flat out bummed.

I'd love to see Marty win but I get a sneaking suspicion he's prettymuch a marked man when it comes to the Academy. I think the most revealing comment I ever heard from an Academy figure on Scorsese was this: 'He's really talented, but has he ever made any money for anybody?' Like that's what filmmaking is all about. :mad:

The Pianist is interesting, sort of the anti-Schindler's list.

What I enjoyed is the portrayal of the main character. It surprised me slightly, but felt far more real than many in Spielberg's movie.

ITA, deep.

Although, I have heard some complaints from Polish people regarding the portrayal of Warsaw outside the ghetto (ie. flowers, bountiful food, sunshine), I figured they did it because to the Jews in the ghetto, the outside truly did seem like paradise, even if it may have been hell to the Poles. I guess everything is about perspective.

:| I just hope we don't have to sit through 4 hrs of political views and opinions. :crack: *Like I care what celebrities thoughts on current political issues are. :sigh:

so the red carpet thing is not going to happen? just the awards show?

icelle said:
so the red carpet thing is not going to happen? just the awards show?

That's right, the red carpet thing was canned. Not that I'll miss it. I don't give a damn what Joan and Melissa think about clothes.

I haven't seen any of those movies (actually, I looked through the list of movies nominated for all the various categories-the only one I've seen out of any of the movies that are nominated in all the categories out there is "Lilo & Stitch", which is nominated for, what, best animated movie, I think?).

Hey, a lot of those movies never made it to our theaters, or were here for, like, a week and then gone!

That's what you get for living in a small town.

Anywho, I think "Chicago" is gonna get a lot of their awards tonight-best picture award, I'm not sure...I'm horrible at predicting things like that.

Like others have said, I hope U2 will win. And I really think they will.

If they don't, I'm gonna be yelling at my T.V. and various other things for a good deal of the night. My family will be scared of me by the end of it all. LOL.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom