Portable Music devices....which one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate Dogg

Refugee
Okay, I was at Best Buy looking at minidisc players, and I was wondering what, if any, disadvantages and advantages there might be compared to a regular MP3 player. I'm looking to spend under 200 dollars, and they had a top of the line minidisc player for about 200. Can someone enlighten me as to which direction to go. I am hoping to use the thousands of WMA files and playlists on my computer whenever I buy this thing(hopefully next week)....Thanks..

How much memory you want?

Last Christmas, I got a Sony CD Walkman D-CJ01 w/ G-Protection that also plays MP3s for $130... One CD holding 700 MB, enough to hold every U2 song from Boy to POP.

also bought decent Sony earphones and a car deck cassette, I was set.

I own a Sony Net MD.

I've owned Minidisc players since I lived in Japan and I LOVE the things. They never skip, you can delete and edit the discs time and time again, you can fit TONS of music onto the discs with the Longplay function, and the new Net MD's make putting together new mixes easy as pie!

u2popmofo said:
I own a Sony Net MD.

I've owned Minidisc players since I lived in Japan and I LOVE the things. They never skip, you can delete and edit the discs time and time again, you can fit TONS of music onto the discs with the Longplay function, and the new Net MD's make putting together new mixes easy as pie!

That was the one I was looking at...I think I'm leaning towards the Net MD. I was still wondering if there were any differences compared to MP3 players other than having no removable disc(s)...

i have a creative nomad 2 with a 128 mb card. it was a toss up for me between this and the sony mzn models. i think at the time, the sony prices were still high so i got the creative mp3 player. it worked out well because i have a smart card reader in my car now so i can listen to my disc there. the mini discs are a tad bigger i guess, but they offer more space. for me it was a toss up and the price won the deal.

I have a 10gig iPod. I bit more expensive than what you're looking at. Personally, I love the thing. The amount that you can store on it is amazing, and it can serve as a secondary hard drive, and store other types of data which is great. They have them for both Windows and Mac (I'm a mac user myself). I just saw the new ones that their coming out with - new design and a 15gig and 30gig drive. Pretty amazing.

I think the flexibility of the iPod is better than a mini-disc player, but then again we all have our preferences. Whatever you decide, make sure it fits your music lifestyle, and will serve you in the future. The way technology changes....

Back
Top Bottom