playing mp3s from 2nd drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I put another harddrive on my computer, to store all my mp3 files. The only problem is that when I play music from that second drive (with software installed on my first drive) the music skips constantly! :mad: Does anyone know what this happens? I have Windows XP.

Thanks,

:| Olive

No clue.

You may want to install your media player on the other drive also.

Digi, I would never have expected you to support slavery with your sig and all!

:wink:

DiGi said:
did you set up your 2nd drive as a slave drive?

I think so.... When my friend helped me install it I think we set it up as a slave drive, and it comes up as F: drive on my computer. I formatted it and then moved all the mp3s there.

I'm not sure if I can install a media player on that drive :huh: - I should try that. There is no OS on that drive but I guess there doesn't need to be if it is a slave drive.

Thanks everyone,
Olive

Did you make sure to buy a good drive?

It's possible that you bought a really slow one.

Melon

melon said:
Did you make sure to buy a good drive?

It's possible that you bought a really slow one.

Melon

ahh... this makes sense. I didn't buy another drive, it was my old one that I had bought about 5 years ago (it only has about 15gig on it).

If that's the case then I guess there's nothing I can do to stop the skipping? :confused:

oliveu2cm said:

I think so.... When my friend helped me install it I think we set it up as a slave drive, and it comes up as F: drive on my computer. I formatted it and then moved all the mp3s there.

Thanks everyone,
Olive

2 possibilities here. First is the slave drive thing. Put the 2nd drive on the Secondary channel, as master. If that doesn't fix it, check the IDE settings in the Device Manager.

2nd could be the drive's settings:
go to control panel -> system -> hardware tab -> device manager -> Primary/secondary IDE channel (do this with both) -> advanced settings tab -> transfer mode. Make sure it is set in all instances to DMA if Available, because PIO is slow as hell.

Either or both of those could fix it. Hope this helps

-Mike

oliveu2cm said:

ahh... this makes sense. I didn't buy another drive, it was my old one that I had bought about 5 years ago (it only has about 15gig on it).

If that's the case then I guess there's nothing I can do to stop the skipping? :confused:

It's probably too old, frankly. Unless I knew the exact details, I have a feeling that it isn't even ATA 33 (we're up to ATA 100/133 these days).

I would be curious to see if it is running in DMA or PIO mode as well.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom