Plane crash this morning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tpsglick2424

Refugee
This happend this mornin, someone I know friends were on this flight..

newt1.jpg

Only the co-pilot lived and he is in critical condition..

Forty-nine of the 50 people aboard Delta Flight 5191 were killed when the aircraft crashed this morning shortly after take-off from Blue Grass Airport in Lexington, Kentucky, according to the county coroner. Two sources, citing physical evidence from the scene, have told CNN the plane may have taken off from the wrong runway -- one that was half the length of the other.

:sad: That is horrible. I hate to fly, and this would be the reason why. Sorry to hear about your friend's friends.

Their were two girls in the plane and they were suppose to go with their mom but she forgot something so she stayed there while they were in the plane with the moms friend..

I used to live in Lexington...I've flown out of that airport MANY times. My dad...on the other hand...has been on that exact plane. Scary. We're hoping no one we know was on board.

U2democrat said:
I used to live in Lexington...I've flown out of that airport MANY times. My dad...on the other hand...has been on that exact plane. Scary. We're hoping no one we know was on board.

Their were two girls in the plane and they were suppose to go with their mom but she forgot something so she stayed there while they were in the plane with the moms friend..

That was my friend's friends..

Bono's Betty said:
:sad: That is horrible. I hate to fly, and this would be the reason why. Sorry to hear about your friend's friends.
It's funny, because commercial air travel is safer than driving to the supermarket.

Oh god this is so horrible :sad: My heart goes out to everyone on board and to their families and friends.

So incredibly sad too about the just married couple. You can't help but to wonder at times why things like this have to happen :sad:

Early speculation is that the plane may have taken off of the wrong runway.

Two sources told CNN that radar identifying the plane's location shortly before it crashed indicates that it took off from the wrong runway -- one that was 3,500 feet shorter than the other.

The Bombardier Canadian Regional Jet (CRJ)-200 was cleared to take off from runway 22, which is more than 7,000 feet long, the sources said.

Instead, it took off from runway 26, which is 3,500 feet long, the sources said.

That length is "pretty short for that type of aircraft," former National Transportation Safety Board Vice Chairman Bob Francis told CNN.

Lanter confirmed that the crash site was at the end of runway 26 but would not speculate from which runway the flight took off.

Of course, it is still early in the investigation.

BonosBaby12 said:
Oh god this is so horrible :sad: My heart goes out to everyone on board and to their families and friends.

So incredibly sad too about the just married couple. You can't help but to wonder at times why things like this have to happen :sad:
So we don't all starve to death from lack of natural resources?

Can someone please tell me why there is a shorter run way and not 2 long ones? Just think of what the children thinking that their mother or nonof the family members were with them..:sad:

What they say is that the strip was too short and wasnt suppose to take off on that strip, obviously mis-communication and the strip was way too short for the plane to take off because the plane wasnt that fast, and the plane didnt get that fast, engines screwed up, went on fire in mid air, crashed and killed 49 people and one person alive (co-pilot) and the co-pilot is in critical injuries..I'm making a bet with my dad and he thought when planes go down they fall on their stomach or back, I said they fall front first because that's where all the weight is...Can someone please tell me who is right?

Back to the topic, Im watching CNN and they said they have the actual voice recorders and experts say that they will get an answer of the voice recorder soon..They are doing a meeting tonight and they will inspect everything on the plane, and the actual answers to why it did will be said tomorrow..:(

Canadiens1160 said:
It's funny, because commercial air travel is safer than driving to the supermarket.

I know. Thats what I have to keep telling myself everytime I fly.

I always think I want to drive instead of fly but then I hear stories like one my friend just told me about her landlord and his wife. They were driving to Wisconsin and got into a car crash with a drunk driver and they both died. They were in their 70's. So sad.

I wonder how many people die in car accidents a day in North America?

Sorry to bring you the bad news but over 100 people die a day in car accidents in the US. Usually over 40,000 people a year. :|

So that's like between 100 and 130 jumbo jet plane crashes. And the US hasn't had a major plane crash since November of 2001 with more fatalities than this one.

Last edited:
U2democrat said:
It's a tiny airport, I don't understand how a mistake like this could have been made.

It is really sad to say, but it sounds like pilot error.

I am not sure if this is a factor in Lexington, but last year, the Federal Government cut funding to the FAA. One of the places they looked to cut was Air Traffic Control towers.

Some airports were going to get cut completely, while others would have reduced hours. Lexington would most likely have been on this list. :shrug:

Aircraft/airline crashes make me sick. I have had this on my mind all day.

Last edited:
It isnt so much of a pilot error...It's communication breakdown and I guess they didnt tell the pilots soon enough to go on the longer landing strip, im waiting for tomorrow to see what they have..

tpsglick2424 said:
It isnt so much of a pilot error...It's communication breakdown and I guess they didnt tell the pilots soon enough to go on the longer landing strip, im waiting for tomorrow to see what they have..

:eyebrow:

...and who is to blame for the communication breakdown in the cockpit?

I just looked at some pictures of the Lexington airport and how the runways are setup. It looks like you have to cross the the end of the shorter general aviation runway before you get to the longer MAIN runway. I believe they are both designated with a number in the 20s (shorter is 22 and longer is 28).

My theory, without additional information, is that the tower communicated to him that he is to taxi and was given permission to take off on 28 (L or R), and the captain taxied to 22 and turned to take his takeoff.

I cannot tell from the photos, but the runways and taxi ways are usually designated both on the runway as well as with yellow signage. Sometimes these signs are illuminated...sometimes they are not (in smaller airports like Lexington).

Like I said before, I fear the blame for this incident will fall back on the pilot. :(

zoney! said:
I just looked at some pictures of the Lexington airport and how the runways are setup. It looks like you have to cross the the end of the shorter general aviation runway before you get to the longer MAIN runway. I believe they are both designated with a number in the 20s (shorter is 22 and longer is 28).

My theory, without additional information, is that the tower communicated to him that he is to taxi and was given permission to take off on 28 (L or R), and the captain taxied to 22 and turned to take his takeoff.

I cannot tell from the photos, but the runways and taxi ways are usually designated both on the runway as well as with yellow signage. Sometimes these signs are illuminated...sometimes they are not (in smaller airports like Lexington).

Like I said before, I fear the blame for this incident will fall back on the pilot. :(

You could be very right, I'm just waiting until they release which they said will be soon, the recorder...I really want to know this...They had also said that the airports lights landing lights were off and messed up...I'm not that good in talking about the airport runways and how it is worked but I did get your theory and you could be 100% right...I think it has to do with the runways because a comair plane can't fly off a small strip like that without screwing up big time..

If it is indeed human error that led to this tragic accident, it is truly sad because it could have been prevented.

The plane that was involved in the accident today is one of my favorite planes to fly in. When I used to travel all the time for work, that was the plane I would fly because I would go to small towns. It is a great plane and comfortable. We called it the "rock star jet".

This could of definently been prevented, but also the news and comair just guessed that it was reason why the plane failed to fly..Yes Air traffic controlled said it was on the wrong runway but there could of been another reason why it went down...heavy suitcases? Heavy people (no that wasnt a joke)? You just dont know what really happend until the investigaters tell us and we hear the recorder...:huh: :(

Back
Top Bottom