Placebo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Well, if nothing else, my last relationship turned me on to a lot of new music. Some of it I didn't like a lot... Gackt and other Japanese music, some was all right, L'Arc~en~Ciel (also Japanese), Nightwish, and some of it downright awesome... as in Placebo. My friend CJ has been a fan since we were in 7th grade (damn that was a while back), and Col burned me a copy of the singles collection back in January. Today I finally got around to picking up Without You I'm Nothing, which is a really great album. I like it so much in fact that I'm considering purchasing either the first or third album next.... or the live DVD which I've heard is really good. Any suggestions?

Oh, and despite being a heterosexual male, I will say that Brian Molko is a very pretty man. :)

Hey Lemon!

That is indeed a great album...the last record is def. worth a purchase too. And the 'Soulmates Never Die' dvd is great. It's a big seller in my shop, and I often play it.

I've never seen em' live, but I had tickets last year when they were due to play my local town....but they cancelled cos Brian broke his arm *apparently*.
They said they'd re-schedule...that was over a year ago now.

I reckon what happened was that they realised how small this venue AND my town was, and that they were selling themselves short in a place like this! WHICH...would be true!:wink:
Cos I was very suprised when they announced a gig here....but NOT so suprised when they then called it off!:wink:

Oh - and as for getting into Nightwish...another good call! Tho their latest album isn't up to much I don't think. 'Century Child' is the one to get, if u don't already have that. 'Forever Yours' and 'Ocean Soul' are cracking tunes.

Do you by chance have their cover of The Smiths' "Bigmouth Strikes Again"? I'm not really on the right terms to be asking my ex-girlfriend to send me song files right now, and it's the only song on the bonus disc of SWG I'm interested in.

Definitely read back through the other Placebo thread. I'm sure I posted a ton in it about how fantastic they are, how great they are live, how everyone should buy all their albums, etc. :wink:

Martha, if you didn't care much for the singles collection, then I can't imagine you'd like any of their albums any more so.

Placebo: The New Album

Placebo are on the eve of returning to the studio to start recording their 5th studio album. The new album due for release in 2006 is being produced by Dimitri Tikavoi, who has previously worked with Placebo on tracks such as 'The Ballad of Melody Nelson and 'Running Up That Hill'.

Keep checking http://www.placeboworld.co.uk in the coming weeks for news of some special studio updates.

---

Got this in my email inbox yesterday. Just thought I'd share.

:drool:

brian malko is indeed a very pretty man. :wink:

saw a shitload of placebo on mtv poland...good times.

HeartlandGirl said:

Placebo are on the eve of returning to the studio to start recording their 5th studio album. The new album due for release in 2006 is being produced by Dimitri Tikavoi, who has previously worked with Placebo on tracks such as 'The Ballad of Melody Nelson and 'Running Up That Hill'.

Keep checking http://www.placeboworld.co.uk in the coming weeks for news of some special studio updates.

---

Got this in my email inbox yesterday. Just thought I'd share.

:combust:

I've probably like Placebo if I could know WHAT the dude singing is...

I mean... I KNOW it's a man... but my mind strugles in acepting that and takes me away from the music...

:|

I've only seen one video...so Brian's image doesn't really affect the way I hear the music. Though he is shmexily androgynous.

HeartlandGirl said:
is being produced by Dimitri Tikavoi, who has previously worked with Placebo on tracks such as 'The Ballad of Melody Nelson and 'Running Up That Hill'.

"Running Up that Hill" as in the Kate Bush song? :ohmy: If so, I have to hear it.

pepokiss said:
I mean... I KNOW it's a man... but my mind strugles in acepting that and takes me away from the music...
:|

I'm confused by your remark there. Music is music, no matter who sings it. After all, there's been so many androgynous singers in rock (since Mick Jagger really, if you think about it) that I don't understand why it's an issue. Give them another listen and just enter the world they're singing about.

Upon looking up Dimitri Tikavoi, I found he's worked previously with Goldfrapp, John Cale (not sure who he is, but he's listed on everything I can find out about him), Placebo (of course), and most excitingly for me: Kevin Shields (former frontman/songwriter of My Bloody Valentine).

Looking forward to whatever they put out. :up:

joyfulgirl said:
"Running Up that Hill" as in the Kate Bush song? :ohmy: If so, I have to hear it.

That's the one! It's the first track on their 'Covers' bonus CD that came with the Sleeping With Ghosts album. Definitely worth a listen.

John Cale sounds familiar. I should look him up...

HeartlandGirl said:

That's the one! It's the first track on their 'Covers' bonus CD that came with the Sleeping With Ghosts album. Definitely worth a listen.

John Cale sounds familiar. I should look him up...

I have Sleeping with Ghosts but there was no bonus CD that came with it. :scratch:

joyfulgirl said:

I have Sleeping with Ghosts but there was no bonus CD that came with it. :scratch:

Yeah, there was a 'Special Edition' of the album released that had the bonus disc. I'm sure we could send you the track easily enough.

Yeah, sorry, I forgot to specify. I have both the regular and special editions... :shifty:

So John Cale is from the Velvet Underground. This producer sounds pretty promising. :up:

In Placebo-related news...

"The forthcoming Timo Maas album titled 'Pictures' is scheduled for release on 13th June, 2005 and features 3 tracks co-written with Brian [Molko] titled:

First Day
Pictures
Like Siamese"

You can watch the video for "First Day" (and thus hear the song) at Placebo's official site, www.placeboworld.co.uk

I thought it was quite catchy, but I'm a fan of electronic music. I'm looking forward to hearing the other tunes. :up:

Back
Top Bottom