Placebo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
I was at Fingerprintz on Friday night, and I slapped one of their records in the player. I listened to part of the first song, and I liked what I heard. I couldn't figure out how to get the lame little boombox to play anything but the first song. :mad: Will I like them? Should I go back and get the album? I think it had a multi-word name.

I'll step in here for HLG and let you know what she'd say if she were here:

"BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I have to agree with HLG. They really have become one of my all time favs in the last year, they have great albums, songs, and put on a great live show. They just had a singles complilation CD come out entitled 'Once More With Feeling'. That may be a good introduction to the band.

Their actual albums are entitled:

Placebo
Without You I'm Nothing
Black Market Music
Sleeping With Ghosts (my personal favorite)

I love Placebo - but agree that Brian Molko's voice can be construed as whiney-sounding, but not in an emo way, it's just the tone/timbre of his voice.

I would recommend their recent Greatest Hits album as a primer, and their cover of T. Rex's 20th Century Boy is HOT!

:shame: mofo, Sleeping With Ghosts is the most unevolutionary Placebo album... but it has Special Needs, possibly my favorite tune of them

before I didn't like Placebo a lot, now, thanks to HG, I really like their music

Now, now, friends. No fighting, only Placebo love!!!

:wink:

Placebo are currently my favorite band, even surpassing U2. I first heard them about a year and half ago. I had read fan reviews criticizing Brian's voice before listening to any of their songs, so I was anxious to hear it. He can definitely sing, and while his voice is unique, I obviously don't find anything wrong with it. In fact, I think it's refreshing that he doesn't sound like everybody else out there...but I digress!

Placebo aren't for everyone, but I'd definitely give them a try. They've got great rocking songs, hypnotic ballads, and a couple of bouncy pop rock songs. And when I say rocking, it's in the way that I think some people wish U2 would rock. Just turn up the guitars and go for it, but still with melody and good songwriting. I saw them live a year ago and was thrilled at how good a show they put on. Their live concert DVD is fantastic.

If you get something by them, I agree that you might want to start with their recent greatest hits collection (called Once More With Feeling) and go from there. Or it might be fun to figure out which album you were listening to and get that one. :)

I'll stop now. :D

I'm going to have to go get this. After reading about them here over the last year, I listened to some clips online and wasn't moved to buy anything but I have a feeling I just need a whole record.

If you get something, joyful, let me know which one. :)

I put some Placebo on a mix for my sister. She's not a huge music fan, so she kinda likes what she likes and that's the end of it. But she said that after a couple listens, the Placebo songs started to grow on her and she ended up quite liking them. They may very well be a 'grower' band for a lot of people. Definitely worth the chance, though.

One thing that got me interested in Placebo was reading about the three guys in the band. Very interesting personalities, they love U2, the strange way that they met up to start the band, David Bowie's early support of the band, stories behind the lyrics, etc. And I wasn't really looking, I was just reading album reviews and the like. Knowing a little about them made the music more meaningful.

HeartlandGirl said:
If you get something, joyful, let me know which one. :)

Why not just tell me what to get. :wink:
I know you recommended the greatest hits but I'm actually not a big fan of greatest hits records. With most artists I tend to prefer the songs that aren't hits and like to get to know records the way the artist intended them to be listened to.

joyfulgirl said:
I know you recommended the greatest hits but I'm actually not a big fan of greatest hits records. With most artists I tend to prefer the songs that aren't hits and like to get to know records the way the artist intended them to be listened to.

I totally respect that. :up:

I'd recommend starting with their most recent album, Sleeping With Ghosts. I always like to start off with the most recent thing and then work my way backward (or go all the way back to the beginning) later if I decide I really like an artist.

So yeah, I'd get that one. It's the one mofo listened to first, and now he owns all their albums, so I think it's a good recommendation. :wink: Besides Sleeping With Ghosts, I'd say Without You I'm Nothing is also a good introduction to the band.

HeartlandGirl said:

So yeah, I'd get that one. It's the one mofo listened to first, and now he owns all their albums, so I think it's a good recommendation. :wink:

Totally true. I LOVE that album. It's definitely still my favorite, check it out. :up:

I like the cover of Sleeping with Ghosts a lot. I've had it in my hands a few times.

I like that album cover a lot too. The cover of Without You I'm Nothing is cool as well.

FYI: There are two versions of Sleeping With Ghosts. One is just the album, the other is a double CD edition with a bonus disc of covers. Just thought you might want to know about that so you can get whichever one you want.

Ok, I just bought it at a store that was having a close out sale and am listening to it now. I don't suppose I'm the first genius to make the Jane's Addiction comparison, am I?

edited to say: not to reduce them to a comparison to someone else but in case martha's still deciding, I thought I'd throw that in there

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever heard them compared to Jane's Addiction! And the thought never crossed my mind. Then again, I'm only familiar with JA singles and not albums.

Hope you enjoyed the album at least a little bit on the first go round. Any songs that caught your attention?

joyfulgirl said:
Ok, I just bought it at a store that was having a close out sale and am listening to it now. I don't suppose I'm the first genius to make the Jane's Addiction comparison, am I?

edited to say: not to reduce them to a comparison to someone else but in case martha's still deciding, I thought I'd throw that in there

Thank you dear! That does help. :yes: Maybe I'll go back over there tomorrow after my oil change and trip to Trader Joe's. There's a Dylan album I put back that I should probably pick up too.

Was that tmi?

HeartlandGirl said:
I don't think I've ever heard them compared to Jane's Addiction! And the thought never crossed my mind. Then again, I'm only familiar with JA singles and not albums.

Hope you enjoyed the album at least a little bit on the first go round. Any songs that caught your attention?

Maybe it's just the singer's voice that reminds me of Perry Farrell.

I've now listened to it about three times and I think I like it. I don't love it, though I love the title song. I think I have the same problem with it that I have with Brit techno or whatever you call it in general, which is that I think the music is interesting but a little bit ...I don't know the right word...sterile? Not enough heart and soul. I hope that isn't too harsh because I do like it and I've liked it more with each listen so I think maybe you're right--it's a grower. The title song, though, has already made it on to a mix I'm making for someone. :)

Last edited:
Glad you don't hate it! :wink: Sleeping With Ghosts and The Bitter End are both terrific songs. The Bitter End is especially good turned up loud in the car, as is Second Sight. :up: I'd also give another listen to Special Needs, a favorite around interference. Protect Me From What I Want is a mofo favorite as well, and I'm a fan of Centrefolds, which took forever to grow on me, but now I love it.

Dang, I may have to listen to this tonight.

Yes, I've already tuned into Special Needs and like it a lot. Protect Me from What I Want is actually a song I'm having trouble getting into, but it's funny how often the songs I like right away on a record are the ones that are the most accessible and then it's the songs I think I don't like that end up growing on me and becoming favorites (case in point, Until the End of the World was my least favorite song on AB for months and then one day it clicked and now it's in my top 5 all time favorite U2 songs). Some songs just take more time to reveal themselves. I'm definitely enjoying getting to know this record.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom