Pitchfork-what are your thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mogi

The Fly
I like to take a look at their site sometimes. But sometimes they seem to be like a "indie bully".

I was wondering what other Interferencers thought about them. Are they the "Holy Grail of modern musical views" or a pretentious bunch of whiners, or neither?

I still check Pitchfork out at least once a week, mostly for music news (they're usually more on top of things than I am) and an interesting column from time to time. I'll read reviews occasionally as well, if I have more than a few minutes to spare.
They're like anyone else in that they have some good writers and also some hacks (it takes one to know one). :whistle:
One thing I'll give them is they are almost always informative and thoughtful in their album reviews. I'm rarely left wondering why a certain album got the rating it did. I don't believe they go overboard to heap praise on an artist just to please their advertisers or certain demographics (though I could be wrong). I don't always agree with what they say, but at least they give you multiple paragraphs of analysis as opposed to a few cliched sentences you get from some of the online blogs and print mags.

pretty much what barlowdog said.

i like them when they like what i like.

and i like them when they hate what i hate.

but i hate them when they hate what i like.

so... yeah.

uh, I don't take them as an universal truth, but is useful for music news and releases... sometimes, their reviews are hilarious... I can accept that even if I don't agree with what they are saying

Yeah, they can be pretentious from time to time, but I've gotten into a lot of great artists and albums because of their reviews. As such, I can't hate them too much.

Dalton said:

Ambiguity - so hot right now.... :drool: :drool:
basically, i'm saying that while i do look to them to find out about new music that i may not have heard yet, i still have my own opinions outside of what the writers of pitchfork think. so, no, i don't think they're the holy grail of modern musical views.

hope that clears up any ambiguities for you.

lmjhitman said:

basically, i'm saying that while i do look to them to find out about new music that i may not have heard yet, i still have my own opinions outside of what the writers of pitchfork think. so, no, i don't think they're the holy grail of modern musical views.

hope that clears up any ambiguities for you.

Don't sell out your mystery. Protect it like a treasure!!!

Dalton said:

Don't sell out your mystery. Protect it like a treasure!!!
and aren't you setting a wonderful example by not sharing your own opinions on pitchfork?

seriously, dalton, you're doing a damn fine job in this thread so far. :up:

lmjhitman said:

and aren't you setting a wonderful example by not sharing your own opinions on pitchfork?

seriously, dalton, you're doing a damn fine job in this thread so far. :up:

Thank you. I've always respected your posts as well. Isn't it nice when two artists who care deeply about their craft can put aside petty jealousy and arguments and show mutual respect?

Dalton said:

Isn't it nice when two artists who care deeply about their craft can put aside petty jealousy and arguments and show mutual respect?
indeed. especially when they put aside the hypocritical sarcasm as well.

i think we're having a 'we are the world' moment here, dalton.

They have a nasty habit of lowering album ratings by at least a point if the artist in question happens to be famous. And they love to pick on certain artists.

U2
Flaming Lips
Beck
Pearl Jam

And worship others...

Radiohead
Pavement
Basically any artist that was around before 1990

Their review of the new Jet album turned me off from the site completely.

Back
Top Bottom