Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No spoken words said:
Return of the King, Fitz.

No, Return of the King falls into that category as well. It doesn't suck, that's for sure. But it's not as good as FOTR or TT. In fact, I only saw Return of the King the day it opened in the theaters. I've never seen it since. Now FOTR and TT I've seen many, many times because they are great, kick-ass films! :drool:

So yeah, Return of the King, gets a :shrug: from me, as far as living up to its predecessors.

If it wasn't for the long ending and some editing issues (missing Saruman, Scouring the Shire and on a lesser note, Gandalf-WK fight despite the "I will break him" line), ROTK would be just as good as the first two. A very worthy ending to the trilogy, still. Possibly the only major movie trilogy where the last part doesn't dissapoint noticeably compared to the prequels, except maybe I. Jones. (though arguably first Indy movie is the best)

Looking at Rotten tomatoes, this looks like a forced trilogy like Matrix, Shrek or Spiderman (all of which would work better as a single movie, and all of which got burned by the critics by the last part).

I just LOVED it!!! I'm sorry for those of you who didn't enjoy it
I cried A LOT, and I found out that I'm deeply in love with COMMODORE :)yes: ) James Norrington:love: . I just hope they're not going to do a fourth, that'd be ridiculous

btw: is there anyone willing to brave the wierd and haunted shores at world's end to fetch me an avatar with Norrington??:wink:
thanks in advance

Last edited:
lil_witch said:

btw: ia there anyone willing to brave the wierd and haunted shores at world's end to fetch me an avatar with Norrington??:wink:
thanks in advance

picturetw2.jpg

:up:

Now, on the Return of The King, I must say that I loved it. It's my favorite of the trilogy, and I feel that it really ended things on a high (of course, I'm not big on Two Towers...Fellowship was great).

Why wasn't Elizabeth allowed to be on the boat with Turner after he took over the ship? The whole ending just kinda pissed me off...they wait years and years to admit thier love...wait forever to get married and then that! I wanted the warm and fuzzy ending to that storyline!

film has a terrible storyline , liked johnny depp

the best part for me was the romance plot between davy jones and jungle vodoo lady
if not for bloom's dreadful character and his girl , thier scenes almost ruined the movie

i feel like i watched a different movie than everybody else here, cause it sucked.
they got a little too carried away with special effects and annoyingt storylines that ultimately did not deliver. who even cares about the bloom/knightly characters romance? not i.
not even jack sparrow could save this terrible movie.

2/10

I saw the same one three:wink:

Bad jokes:drool: :reject:

The plot really needed to be spaced out better between the three films, might have made more sense in the end, even though most of the plot didn't make any sense:huh:

I thought it was good but when you think about it as being the 3rd movie in a series, then it wasn't that great. too many special effects, the whole Calypso thing felt like a random side story. the multiple Jacks was fine the first time around but then they did it again. my fiance hated it and he's enjoyed the first two movies.

LemonMelon said:

Now, on the Return of The King, I must say that I loved it. It's my favorite of the trilogy, and I feel that it really ended things on a high (of course, I'm not big on Two Towers...Fellowship was great).

My favourite is probably Fellowship. The scenery is probably the best - elf cities, Shire, Moria...plus it had the hardest job as it was the first movie of the lot.

Two Towers, on the other hand, is probably the most respectable to me. 3 different stories, no real climax in the book (good move on making Helm's Deep the gravity center), lots of new different characters and two digital creatures.

My gripe with ROTK is really only the loooong ending, and on a lesser note, completely cutting Scouring of the Shire and the archvillain of the first two movies (and a big cop-out from the Minas Tirith battle). It would be perfectly ended with just Aragorn's crowning and Grey Havens. Still a worthy note to end on and arguably the finest movie trilogy I can think of.

You guys should read my rottentomatoes thread entitled "All The Things I Hate About Return of the King". :drool:

starsgoblue said:
Why wasn't Elizabeth allowed to be on the boat with Turner after he took over the ship? The whole ending just kinda pissed me off...they wait years and years to admit thier love...wait forever to get married and then that! I wanted the warm and fuzzy ending to that storyline!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be DEAD to be on the boat?

From Moviemistakes.com - Trivia entries:
Despite what seems to be indicated in the film, the captain of the Dutchman is not cursed to do that job for eternity. The scenes about the specifics of the curse were cut from the final version. The captain of the Dutchman must do the job for 10 years at a time, coming ashore on his one day every 10 years. If the captain's true love is waiting for him when he returns, his bond to the ship is severed and he can leave being captain and live with his love on land. (all of this is confirmed by Mr. Elliott and Mr. Rossio in the forums at wordplayer.com).

There is an additional poignant scene after all the credits. SPOILER ALERT (This scene shows Elisabeth waiting 10 years later for Will. And they have a son...)

RoSm said:
Despite what seems to be indicated in the film, the captain of the Dutchman is not cursed to do that job for eternity. The scenes about the specifics of the curse were cut from the final version. The captain of the Dutchman must do the job for 10 years at a time, coming ashore on his one day every 10 years. If the captain's true love is waiting for him when he returns, his bond to the ship is severed and he can leave being captain and live with his love on land. (all of this is confirmed by Mr. Elliott and Mr. Rossio in the forums at wordplayer.com).

Hmmm. Interesting. I guess this would explain why Davy Jones was so pissed that "calypso" was not waiting for him after his 10 years. He had to continue on being captian.

bono_212 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to be DEAD to be on the boat?

Well Will wasn't dead when he was on the boat in the second movie.... But it appears the poster above explained that to me. I did see the additional scene at the end but was under the impression that it was just a visit and not an end to his servitude. Thanks!

I saw the movie today and waited at the end of the credits for the most meaningless scene ever. Really, a sequel was set up at the end of the movie anyway, so why add this scene?

I really enjoyed parts of this movie, especially the action scenes but I had some serious gripes:

Sao Feng confusing Elizabeth for Calyspo
Elizabeth becoming the Pirate King in about 20 minutes
Calypso made a whirlpool and rain, that was it.
The entire British armada folded after one ship was destroyed? What did the pirates really do?
Will's Khan-like scar at the end really made me laugh.
Jack's hallucinations were ridiculous, they didn't add anything.
Norrington's ridiculous death
Gov. Swann's ridiculous death
The Kraken is a complete non-factor in this movie.

I cannot wait until someone re-edits 2 and 3 together into one really awesome movie.

i haven't seen this yet :sad: i'll probably see it on dvd because i almost never go to the theater, i should go more.

RoSm said:

There is an additional poignant scene after all the credits. SPOILER ALERT (This scene shows Elisabeth waiting 10 years later for Will. And they have a son...)
:hyper: :hyper: are you sure??? does that mean that Elizabeth and Will can live together....:scratch: no, wait: doesn't the flying dutchman always have to be led by a captain??

I saw the movie on Saturday and although I thought it was good it was quite confusing at parts. I think if I was to watch it again I would watch the second one first. I totally agree that the whole Calypso plot was pointless. Although any film with Johnny Depp in it is worth seeing :up:

flat and incoherent

probably the worst film I've seen in a while...it makes "Spidy 3" look like "Citizan Kane"

I finally watched the film yesterday!!!!

I loved the end... Not the thypical happy ending wich made it even more amazing...

Jack Sparrow is just one of the greatest characters of all time!

And Keith :lol:

Wow I couldn't follow the movie half the time. It was sooo confusing and such a let down. I enjoyed it but it's just not as good as the first one.

Of course, it's been impossible to make a decent trilogy since Lord of the Rings.

Back
Top Bottom