Pink Floyd Survivor: Wish You Were Here - FINAL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your LEAST favourite song!

• Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Parts I - V)

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • Wish You Were Here

Votes: 15 44.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
DaveC said:
:dance:

SOYCD, hopefully with the comeback win!!

ETA: COBL, what happens if a final round is tied? I never had to deal with that in the rounds that I ran, and always figured I'd try to ask you if the situation came up. :scratch:

If a round is tied, I'm not going to bother with a tiebreaker, I'll count up all the votes each song has had in each round, add them to the final tallys, and we'll have a winner that way.

Well people, either phanan is right and there are new people voting, or people are using alters. If it is alters, whoever is doing it, as Dave said, Fuck off. Don't spoil the competition for others who want this done genuinely. If it is new people voting, please come in and drop a line. Adds to the discussion as well. Not going to do an investigation, and not going to redo it, sorry, but that just stalls everything, and if we get a similar outcome, then it's all pointless. And at the end of the day, it is just a internet survivor. Still time left people.

I'm rating all the Pink Floyd songs I have... list will be up in Animals thread. :yes:

I'm pretty curious about this controversy, and the perception that Shine On should be winning this contest. I'd love to see some good data out there on the Internet about what peoples' favorite Pink Floyd songs are. In a quick Google search, I could find only one site that had any reasonably large numbers of people voting, at http://rankthese.com/What-is-Your-Favorite-Pink-Floyd-Song.aspx.

They have Brain Damage first, with 75 votes, Us and Them second with 73, Wish You Were Here third with 56, and Shine On fourth at 20 votes.

I'm just a moderate Pink Floyd fan, but for those of you who are more serious than me, do hardcore fans generally feel that Shine On is the more popular song? Just curious.....

Well I'm not a 'hardcore' fan I would say. Pretty big fan though. Wish You Were Here is the more popular song and more well known to the general music listening public I think, whereas SHine On is not, though most casual fans of Pink Floyd should know of it. I knew it before I became a pretty big fan.

And no way is Brain Damage the best song. Best title maybe.

I'm fairly positive Wish You Were Here is more popular with the general public. Based on personal experience, most people who are not familiar with a lot of the band's catalogue will at least be able to list Wish You Were Here as one of their favourites. At the two Roger Waters shows I saw, the whole arena would sing along with WYWH. A lot less sang along to SOYCD. The only people I know who would consider SOYCD a favourite are more familiar with the band's work/rock music in general (i.e. not the type of people who'll only listen to the radio and leave it at that), or they're hardcore fans.

The reason why we think SOYCD should be winning the contest has nothing to do with popularity, but more with the curious pattern to the voting. It is, of course, entirely possible that people are genuinely voting SOYCD off in favour of WYWH. However, the sudden onslaught of votes just doesn't seem to compute. Especially given that the voting has been fairly sluggish up until this point. Money is one of Pink Floyd's most popular songs (more popular than WYWH, I'd be willing to bet), and it didn't win the DSOTM contest. Therefore, there's no reason to think that WYWH would naturally win because it's more popular than SOYCD is.

Another reason for the popularity argument is that people get far more exposure to WYWH because radio would never ever go near SOYCD. I barely hear WYWH, let alone either of the sprawling 12 minute epics.

And the voting has been very weird. It started even, then swung heavily in favour of WYWH, then SOYCD, and now it's back to WYWH again, all within short time frames (I can't vouch for this though, as I haven't been on).

I have a Floyd special edition of Uncut Magazine that compiled a best-of list based on readers' votes- Shine On 1-5 was the victor, while WYWH placed somewhere around third.
In my mind, and I am a rather ardent fan, Shine On is clearly the stronger piece. I think that GG and Axver, among others, have done an excellent job of describing why that is so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom