Pink Floyd Survivor: Animals - Round Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your LEAST favourite song!

• Pigs on the Wing 1

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Dogs

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Pigs (Three Different Ones)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Sheep

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobl04

45:33
The Pigs on the Wing were sent to the bench.

Votes:
Pigs on the Wing 2 - 11
Pigs on the Wing 1 - 8
Dogs, Pigs - 2
Sheep - 1
Total - 24

Songs eliminated so far:
62. Pigs on the Wing 2
61. Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Parts I - V)
60. Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI - IX)
59. Have a Cigar
58. Welcome to the Machine
57. Us and Them
56. Brain Damage
=54. Eclipse
=54. Speak to Me/Breathe
=52. Money
=52. Great Gig in the Sky
51. Any Colour You Like
50. On the Run
49. Wots... uh the Deal
48. Burning Bridges
=46. Childhood's End
=46. Obscured by Clouds
45. Stay
=43. The Gold it's in the...
=43. Mudmen
42. When You're In
41. Absolutely Curtains
40. Fearless
41. One of These Days
39. A Pillow of Winds
38. San Tropez
37. Seamus
36. Fat Old Sun
35. If
34. Atom Heart Mother Suite
33. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast
32. The Narrow Way
31. Grantchester Meadows
30. Sysyphus
29. The Grand Vizier's Garden Party
28. Green is the Colour
27. The Nile Song
26. Ibiza Bar
25. Cirrus Minor
24. Crying Song
=22. Main Theme
=22. Dramatic Theme
21. Up the Khyber
=18. More Blues
=18. A Spanish Piece
=18. Quicksilver
17. Party Sequence
16. Let There Be More Light
15. Jugband Blues
14. Remember a Day
13. A Saucerful of Secrets
12. Corporal Clegg
11. See-Saw
10. Astronomy Domine
9. Interstellar Overdrive
8. Flaming
7. Matilda Mother
=2. Take up Thy Stethoscope and Walk
=2. The Gnome
=2. Chapter 24
=2. The Scarecrow
=2. Bike
1. Pow R. Toc H.

Finalists
Piper at the Gates of Dawn: Lucifer Sam
A Saucerful of Secrets: Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
More: Cymbaline
Ummagumma: Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict
Atom Heart Mother: Summer '68
Meddle: Echoes
Obscured by Clouds: Free Four
Dark Side of the Moon: Time
Wish You Were Here: Wish You Were Here

Question for those who may know:

If dogs are conniving men who'll do anything for success, pigs are the men who have gained success and only wish for more, and sheep are the general populous, what are pigs on the wing? :hmm:

:lol: was that an AFL joke?

Pigs On the Wing Were Sent to the bench

:lmao:

Anyways.....POTW Part 1

Is anyone going to buy the Pink Floyd box-set thats just recently out (By The Way Or whatever its called) I would really like to get it....but boy its pricey!

COBL_04 said:
I'd throw that one to GG or Screwtape (where is he??)

My question almost sounds like a riddle that would end in a bad pun. :cute:

I just saw Screwtape the other day. He's around. :scratch:

bono_man2002 said:
:lol: was that an AFL joke?

Pigs On the Wing Were Sent to the bench

:lmao:

Anyways.....POTW Part 1

Is anyone going to buy the Pink Floyd box-set thats just recently out (By The Way Or whatever its called) I would really like to get it....but boy its pricey!

:yes:
I am sooo glad someone got it.

I'm not... I have the only Floyd albums I want. Good to see you in here Daniel! Stick around...

and go cats

LemonMelon said:

My question almost sounds like a riddle that would end in a bad pun. :cute:

I just saw Screwtape the other day. He's around. :scratch:

:lol: Imagine if a non-Floyd fan saw that. They'd be all like, what the fark?

LemonMelon said:
Question for those who may know:

If dogs are conniving men who'll do anything for success, pigs are the men who have gained success and only wish for more, and sheep are the general populous, what are pigs on the wing? :hmm:

I think the pigs on the wing are those who exist outside of society. By 1977, the ideas of revolution and peace were dead. The Bob Dylans and John Lennon's of the world changed nothing. It seemed like no one could escape the pig pen as it were. Roger is asking for someone to be that person who only comes along when pigs fly. At least that is my interpretation.

Screwtape2 said:

I think the pigs on the wing are those who exist outside of society. By 1977, the ideas of revolution and peace were dead. The Bob Dylans and John Lennon's of the world changed nothing. It seemed like no one could escape the pig pen as it were. Roger is asking for someone to be that person who only comes along when pigs fly. At least that is my interpretation.

I like it. Good job. :up:

bono_man2002 said:

So I will be failing at life to save Sheep.....look at 'em...those poor little defenseless animals! :wink:

:scratch:

You're voting for Dogs to save Sheep, which has exactly zero chance to get booted this round regardless of your vote...? :confused:

Anyways... I voted for POTW (clearly).

DaveC said:

:scratch:

You're voting for Dogs to save Sheep, which has exactly zero chance to get booted this round regardless of your vote...? :confused:

Anyways... I voted for POTW (clearly).

This Round I voted POTW....but when it comes to push and Shove....I'll be voting anything to keep Sheep In it.

bono_man2002 said:
So I will be failing at life to save Sheep.....look at 'em...those poor little defenseless animals! :wink:

Oh, no, I only meant in this round. When it comes down to Dogs vs Pigs vs Sheep, I really don't know what to vote for yet.

I honestly have not a clue how I will vote after this round. For now, the sheer vitriol and irreverence of Pigs makes it my choice for the win, but only by the slimmest of margins over the other two. This album is a genuine masterpiece.

My guess re Pigs on the Wing would have been based on the line "watching the pigs on the wing." An insider, a dog, a pig or a sheep (though probably a dog due to the bone line) has finally had a moment to sit back and take a look around him and he sees these 'pigs on the wings' who are just outsiders and not bothered with the lives of dogs, pigs and sheep.

Quick post before I go off to bed... It's important to note that both parts of the song were written for Carolyne Waters, Roger's second wife. Part 2 entertains the idea that love and companionship can shelter one from the negative influences in life (i.e. the power-hungry pigs, the mindless sheep.) For that reason, I believe these "pigs on the wing" are merely a metaphor for the issues raised in the central songs on the album, not any particular facet of society as such. The latter is just my opinion, it may be wrong.

Here's a quote from Roger about Animals:

Three fairly angry songs about posturing and defensive ploys set between two verses of a love song to Carolyne, 'Pigs On The Wing.' The first verse poses the question, 'Where would I be without you?' and the second says, 'In the face of all this other shit - confusion, side-tracks, difficulties - you care. I know you care about me and that makes it possible to survive.' That is the first time that sentiment appears; the sense of having somebody, being with somebody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom