Pink Floyd = Overrated ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every band is overrated if you hang out on the internet. :wink:
I've seriously never met a die-hard fan of anything in real life so I think the internet attracts these sort of people.

Moving on, I can see where Lance is coming from in terms of "soul." While I think there are a lot of PF songs that do have soul, they don't spread it around like U2 and the Beatles do. I mean, every other Beatles song had love and love and loss as a theme. Nearly every U2 song has something about love in it. But where is the love in a song like Comfortably Numb? It's brilliant, but there's no real heart there.
I guess I'm just saying that PF cross over into different emotions that you wouldn't normally expect. They are barely ever cheery in content (except Bike! :lol:) so you can't expect people to be popping it into a karaoke machine and singing it at a party. "This is so depressing, why are you singing it!?"

Pink Floyd is emo.

I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm leaving.

I think the point of a song like Comfortably Numb is that its supposed to have no heart. Ya know, to be numb from it all.

I'd also like to say that I think the word "boring" is an unimaginative adjective that some folks have been prone to describe Pink Floyd's music. In other words, use more descriptive or original adjectives. Don't be a follower. Be a leader. Don't use the word!

Comfortably Numb is a song that to this day still blows me away when I hear it on the radio. Despite overplay, I still don't change the station when it comes on the radio. With alternate Waters and Gimour vocals and a killer guitar solo (though not as orgasmic as that of High Hopes), I think it is close to being THE perfect Pink Floyd song.

Well, as a huge Pink Floyd fan I naturally don't think that they're overrated in the least, :wink:

I also don't really see the point of comparing their stuff with The Beatles or U2. As far as I'm concerned, their respective musical outputs belong to parallel musical universes and have very little in common.

As for the "soul", well I'd probably agree that for the most part their music doesn't have much of it. But IMO "soul" is just one of the things that makes music great and not some sort of one and only ultimate characteristic that a band must possess in order to be great.

I love Floyd, especially DSOTM, but they probably are overrated in relation to the sheer enjoyability of the songs. I mean in terms of how ENJOYABLE an artist's songs are. Pink Floyd might not really fit this "enjoyment" category, like The Beatles, U2, REM and even the Spice Girls might....

...and surely the greatness of an artist should more often than is currently the case, be judged on the enjoyability of the music rather than the progressive prenetiousness of it all?

I don't know I'm tired, I'm off to listen to Atom Heart Mother

U2Man said:
prog rock is pretty much a love-or-hate thing.

bingo.

floyd at the very least were so good at what they do that they transcend their genre.

there are a handful of floyd songs i like. but mostly, i can't stand 'em. like you said... love or hate. i tend to lean to the hate.

wish you were here is an all time classic song... have a cigar, mother, another brick in the wall... all songs that i somewhat like.

that's about it... for the most part, when they get more prog rocky, i turn it off. i can't stomach it.

Last edited:
MrPryck2U said:
I'd also like to say that I think the word "boring" is an unimaginative adjective that some folks have been prone to describe Pink Floyd's music. In other words, use more descriptive or original adjectives.
formulaic?

MrPryck2U said:
I'm glad you do. My take is that you won't see the whole family gathering around the piano singing Comfortably Numb.

Our family would if any of us were musical.

But we often put on "The Wall" and "Wish You Were Here" when we play poker or Trivial Pursuit. My Mum, Dad, younger brother and I are all Floydians, :)

LemonMacPhisto said:
Speaking of teh Floyd, I picked this shirt up the other day:

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/st...4374302024065&PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442150946

Hot Topic might be weird as shit, but they don't mess around with their band and movie/tv t-shirts
Reminds me, I used to have a vintage Dark Side of the Moon shirt. It was older than I was. I don't know what happened to it :sad:
The pathetic thing is, I wasn't even into Pink Floyd yet when I used to go around wearing that shirt. It took me way too long to get into them, because my parents let me watch The Wall with them when I was little and it freaked me out so bad that I didn't want to listen to give the band a chance.

And there are plenty of bands that are way, way, way more overrated than Pink Floyd are. Let's argue about them :D

DreamOutLoud13 said:

my parents let me watch The Wall with them when I was little and it freaked me out so bad that I didn't want to listen to give the band a chance.

Same! :lol: Well, my mother was never too keen on letting me watch the movie. It was always my father who'd stick it on and allow me to watch with him. It scared the living daylights out of me (particularly the meat grinder in Another Brick In The Wall!), but in a way that made me curious about them.

Before I discovered the Internet and thanks to The Wall, I thought the band members were scary short-haired Germans. :| Those were the days when CD sleeves of old albums never had photographs in them, just instructions on how to clean the CD.

I can't believe your parents let you watch The Wall when you were a kid. That's great!
I'm also happy that families are gathering around and listen to Floyd. I can just picture Grandma singing Young Lust: "Oooh, I need a dirty woman! Oooh, I dirty girl!"

I recall being slightly firightened the first time that I listened to The Wall in its entirety; I belive that I was in the nineth grade.
I became a Floyd fan even earlier than that; my father was listening to Dark Side, and he told me that, after hearing the album, I would be a Floyd fan for life. He was quite right.

MrPryck2U said:
I'm also happy that families are gathering around and listen to Floyd. I can just picture Grandma singing Young Lust: "Oooh, I need a dirty woman! Oooh, I dirty girl!"

:lmao:

Grandma could sing A Pillow Of Winds though...

A cloud of eider down draws around me softening the sound... :combust:

GibsonGirl said:
It scared the living daylights out of me (particularly the meat grinder in Another Brick In The Wall!), but in a way that made me curious about them.

I watched the Wall when I was thirteen or so and I think what freaked me out the most were those rows of marching hammers, :evil:

That movie had some warped animation.

How about the animated giant talking anus during the trial?

that freaked the hell out of me.

I'd say they're over-rated. Similar to The Grateful Dead.

Mid-tempo rock with self-indulgent & long instrumental sections.

The playing is always uber-perfect/scientific and unspirited.

17 minute songs is a major problem.

Thank God for weed.

That said, I do like alot of their stuff. Even saw Waters live in 2001.

Sorry for the off-topic

But... it is some kind of blasphemy to have 2 post-waters songs as my Floyd favorites??

Learning to fly and High Hopes :drool: :drool:

And Sorrow is actually pretty decent too...

I was a bad girl once when I was a teen, took some er hallucinogens with some friends, watched The Wall and literally freaked out and could never watch it again :crack:
I think it was MADE to watch on drugs.

Sicy said:
I was a bad girl once when I was a teen, took some er hallucinogens with some friends, watched The Wall and literally freaked out and could never watch it again :crack:
I think it was MADE to watch on drugs.

:yes:

Which is exactly why I've never seen it - never done hallcinogenic drugs before. :lol:

But if I ever do, I definitely want to see it. :shifty:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Which is exactly why I've never seen it - never done hallcinogenic drugs before. :lol:

Which leaves one wondering which drugs you have done. Maybe next time you go on one of your coke binges, you can watch the Wall, see what you think.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

:tsk: The Wall is far too cerebral of a movie to watch on drugs; you'll miss most of it...it barely makes sense when you're sober. :huh:

Now how about some truly retarded movies that would be good/better on drugs:

Kung-Pow: Enter The Fist
Zoolander
Dukes Of Hazzard Movie
Dumb And Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd
Austin Powers 3: Goldmember

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom