Pink Floyd, anyone??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm pretty new on the Floyd stuff.

I only listened to the Wall all the way though last week and enjoyed it muchly, I also have Dark Side Of The Moon, which I'm yet to get a chance to listen to.

:up:

bono_man2002 said:
I'm pretty new on the Floyd stuff.

I only listened to the Wall all the way though last week and enjoyed it muchly, I also have Dark Side Of The Moon, which I'm yet to get a chance to listen to.

:up:

you are going to love DSOTM:drool:

If you get a chance also listen to

"animals"

and

"meddle"

both brilliant and underrated pink floyd albums

:drool:

There is rock music, and then there is Floyd. Gilmour = God. I have seen god knows how many concerts but none complare to a Floyd show. (And I didn't see them til Waters left.) After the Beatles, probably the greatest band of all time.

Meddle beats me into submission. Just grabs my head and smashes it into the curb. And I don't fight it. It's that good.

I've just recently discovered "Piper at the Gates of Dawn". :drool: :drool: :drool:
I couldn't believe how different it was to the Gilmour/Waters-led band I've known; but now I absolutely love it and its childlike/nightmarish vibe.

And Lucifer Sam is now officially my favourite song about cats ever (not that I know any others, :))

animals is such a brilliant album. :drool:

when I listen to the album beginning to the end, I feel close to rejuvenated for some reason.

liamcool said:
I am a Floyd fangirl. Where's GibsonGirl?

Internetless, as usual!

I've listened to Pink Floyd for most of my life. My dad was (and still is) a huge fan and listened to them non-stop while I was growing up. On one nine hour car trip, the only thing we listened to the whole way was The Final Cut! So that's probably one of the reasons why I still love that album so much. Lots of fond memories associated with it.

bono_man2002, if you like The Wall, check out Animals or The Final Cut. My preference for both changes on a daily basis, but they're by far my favourite. Animals is the album that (sort of inadvertently) led to The Wall, and The Final Cut is the fallout from The Wall. If you haven't already read about it, I could tell you all about the Montreal 1977 incident, if you like. It's the moment that sparked the idea for The Wall...

Okay, so Animals. The embodiment of progressive rock! It's awesome from start to finish. The themes are rather Orwellian. I don't know if you've read Animal Farm, but it's basically a very similar idea going on in Animals. The songs that are sandwiched by both parts of Pigs On The Wing are rather long, but don't let that discourage you. If you get the album, don't skip through the songs because you'll miss so many great little things. Roger's singing is great on it, too. Sheeeeeep. That song contains probably my favourite line ever: "wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dreaaaammmm."

As for The Final Cut, that one's mainly about war and the loss Roger Waters experienced growing up without a father. It's an absolutely beautiful album but very depressing at the same time. A bit difficult to listen to, actually. The title track is probably the most emotional song written by anyone ever. I kind of wish one of the lyrics in that song hadn't been changed. In the demo, there's the line "And if I'm in, I'll tell you what's behind the wall." The "what's behind the wall" part ultimately ended getting removed from the "final cut" of the album, as it were. But still, fantastic album. David Gilmour has some amazing solos on it, if you like that sort of thing. All that said, it might be a bit of a grower for a casual fan, because it's a bit musically sparse in sections.

Songs that are great from those two albums:

Animals: Sheep, Dogs, Pigs (Three Different Ones)

The Final Cut: The Hero's Return, The Gunners Dream, The Fletcher Memorial Home, The Final Cut, Two Suns In The Sunset

Saracene, since you like Piper a lot, you should have a listen to some of Syd's solo stuff. The Madcap Laughs is great and so is Barrett. They're not really the same musically, but Syd's child-like writing is still there. The Effervescing Elephant is just fantastic!

I think I'm done now. :shifty:

Last edited:
youtooellen said:
animals is such a brilliant album. :drool:

when I listen to the album beginning to the end, I feel close to rejuvenated for some reason.

Same here. :drool: That album takes you through so many emotions. Starts out so bleak, gets bleaker, then ends on such an uplifting note. Everything about that album is brilliant. Music, lyrics, singing, album cover...all perfect.

GibsonGirl said:
bono_man2002, if you like The Wall, check out Animals or The Final Cut. My preference for both changes on a daily basis, but they're by far my favourite. Animals is the album that (sort of inadvertently) led to The Wall, and The Final Cut is the fallout from The Wall. If you haven't already read about it, I could tell you all about the Montreal 1977 incident, if you like. It's the moment that sparked the idea for The Wall...

Okay, so Animals. The embodiment of progressive rock! It's awesome from start to finish. The themes are rather Orwellian. I don't know if you've read Animal Farm, but it's basically a very similar idea going on in Animals. The songs that are sandwiched by both parts of Pigs On The Wing are rather long, but don't let that discourage you. If you get the album, don't skip through the songs because you'll miss so many great little things. Roger's singing is great on it, too. Sheeeeeep. That song contains probably my favourite line ever: "wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dreaaaammmm."

As for The Final Cut, that one's mainly about war and the loss Roger Waters experienced growing up without a father. It's an absolutely beautiful album but very depressing at the same time. A bit difficult to listen to, actually. The title track is probably the most emotional song written by anyone ever. I kind of wish one of the lyrics in that song hadn't been changed. In the demo, there's the line "And if I'm in, I'll tell you what's behind the wall." The "what's behind the wall" part ultimately ended getting removed from the "final cut" of the album, as it were. But still, fantastic album. David Gilmour has some amazing solos on it, if you like that sort of thing. All that said, it might be a bit of a grower for a casual fan, because it's a bit musically sparse in sections.

Songs that are great from those two albums:

Animals: Sheep, Dogs, Pigs (Three Different Ones)

The Final Cut: The Hero's Return, The Gunners Dream, The Fletcher Memorial Home, The Final Cut, Two Suns In The Sunset

I'll be sure to check those out, Thanks heaps for the Info! :up:

bono_man2002 said:

I'll be sure to check those out, Thanks heaps for the Info! :up:

My pleasure. :) If you ever want any rare tracks or anything like that, just send me a PM.

I am a huge Pink Floyd fan.

Ditto on The Final Cut and Animals, GibsonGirl. The Final Cut has really grown on me as late. It is one of those albums that doesn't blow you away on the first few listens. It is sort of like TUF in that way. The Animals/Wall/Final Cut trilogy is a fascinating idea, GibsonGirl. I really can't add anything to what GibsonGirl has already said.

If you like Animals, try out Wish You Were Here. Shine On You Crazy Diamonds has that kind of Dogs feel. The Saxaphone part is so beautiful. :drool: :drool: You can feel a real emotional drain in the record. I like to think of Wish You Were Here as children being turned into the dogs of Animals by their fathers. A great record except for the title track which is the most annoying song ever written by an artist other than the Baha Men. :barf:

Pink Floyd has written some of the most cinematic and atmospheric music of the last hundred years. Another part of the band's music, one that hasn't been talked about, are the instrumentals. Songs like Any Colour You Like, Great Gig In The Sky, Days, Marooned, Terminal Frost, Atom Mother Heart Suite and Careful With That Axe, Eugene are spectacular musical moments on their respective albums.

I'm a long-term huge Floyd fan :up:

love most of their albums&i always loved all the album covers, esp Animals i think - Battersea power station :love: :bow:
I saw the building first back in '99 on my way to Paris&i squealed like a pig (Ahem!) when i saw it - is that v sad???? :nerd: :uhoh: :reject:

Shine on you crazy diamond has to be one of the best ever intros!! :drool: Money&great gig on the sky sequence is sooooo ace!

Yep, fantastic stuff plus it was such a thrill seeing them all back together at Live8 :heart: :happy:

Dave Gilmour's def in my top 10 guitarists! :yes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom