Photographers' Union Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are some great pics!

Do any of you have good advice about how to deal with EXTREME dust and sand? I am going to Africa next month and will be in Namibia for a couple of weeks. Think oldest desert in the world at the heart of the dry season. I've heard from people who have gone (with DLRs & lenses) that your camera should be in 2 sealed plastic freezer bags at all times because dust will get into it otherwise and wreak all kinds of havoc. I'm wondering if I should bring a box of these bags with me, now I'm paranoid that without them the dust will get right into the camera or kit bag.

^The bags sound like a good idea - I've heard of plastic shower caps used for rain and dust. Have a UV filter/lens protector on the lens - I've heard of sandstorms scratching lenses or filters. And obviously don't change lenses near blowing sand. The trip sounds interesting - post pics here afterward.

Those are some great pics!

Do any of you have good advice about how to deal with EXTREME dust and sand? I am going to Africa next month and will be in Namibia for a couple of weeks. Think oldest desert in the world at the heart of the dry season. I've heard from people who have gone (with DLRs & lenses) that your camera should be in 2 sealed plastic freezer bags at all times because dust will get into it otherwise and wreak all kinds of havoc. I'm wondering if I should bring a box of these bags with me, now I'm paranoid that without them the dust will get right into the camera or kit bag.

^The bags sound like a good idea - I've heard of plastic shower caps used for rain and dust. Have a UV filter/lens protector on the lens - I've heard of sandstorms scratching lenses or filters. And obviously don't change lenses near blowing sand. The trip sounds interesting - post pics here afterward.

Yes, definitely bring a bunch of bags for your camera, lenses and wipes (and underwear and socks).
Mongolia was fairly dry and dusty (then drizzly and wet), but nothing like Namibia probably is. I got really good at changing my lens inside my jacket.
Bring a point-n-shoot for really crappy conditions (or for locals who want to try your camera). Have an extra blower bulb, too.

Can't wait to see pics here. Have a safe trip.

Really liking the recent pics. Anitram sounds like it's going to be a fun trip. I second NTLA and Kram bring a plastic cover for those harsh type conditions.

Took these on Thursday at Moss Beach.

axmb1.jpg

axmb2.jpg

axmb3.jpg

Finally picked up my new SLR...yay !

Canon 550D, 2 kit lenses. They knocked a bit of the price so I picked up a f1.8 50mm lens too.

:camera:

:D

Finally picked up my new SLR...yay !

Canon 550D, 2 kit lenses. They knocked a bit of the price so I picked up a f1.8 50mm lens too.

:camera:

:D

That's a nice camera - 18MP. I have that lens as well- can't argue with its price.

Nice star trails. Now that I have weekends off I am going to try and shoot more night photographs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom