Pet Shop Boys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b. john allen

The Fly
I guess it qualifies as a guilty pleasure, but someimtes I just ahve to listen to the Pet Shop Boys. Especially Somewhere is an excellent song. Anyone else who has this?

One of the best experiences of my life was acting as production assistant when they were here in Israel in 2000.

It was great meeting Neil and Chris and after the show in Ra'anana we all sat down and had a barbeque dinner - what a surreal experience that was....lol.

the cover of streets is different at least.

it's weird because usually such a music style is not my cup of tea, but somehow i really like the PSB.

yertle-the-turtle said:
They're awesome, why do they count as a guilty pleasure?

And that cover of 'Streets' is amazing.

I wouldn't call it amazing, but it's a good one.
And PSB are very good too.

Being Boring :heart:

sorry for posting this, but i have to say it:

i like pet shop boys in general, i regard them as among the very finest pop song writers of the 80s. But that cover of streets is a shame. streets is one of, if not the most ballsy u2 song of all, and what they did with it was to take out any trace of balls in the song. that just doesn't work at all.

I have to agree with U2Man on this. As much as I love their songs and enjoy that charming british wit in the lyrics, I don't like the cover of WTSHNN. I mean..

where the streets have no name..
I can't take my eyes off of you?!

WTF :lol:

No need for the PSB to be a guilty pleasure. They've been making solid electronic music for what, two decades now? And their latest album is ace.

For what it's worth, I love their cover of Streets. They really took it and made it their own, and besides the lyrics, their cover and the original are two different songs to me. Their brilliant cover in no way detracts from the brilliant original. U2 and Streets aren't that sacred to me.

I mean I don't hate it. I can definitely listen to it once in while but that second line just makes me laugh. It has no connection whatsoever with the actual lyrics!

Anyway, these are just some of my PSB favorites:

Can You Forgive Her
Yesterday When I Was Mad
Go West
Opportunities
Suburbia
Rent
Always On My Mind
Se A Vida E

:drool:

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
I have to agree with U2Man on this. As much as I love their songs and enjoy that charming british wit in the lyrics, I don't like the cover of WTSHNN. I mean..

where the streets have no name..
I can't take my eyes off of you?!

a mole
digging in a hole?!

b. john allen said:

a mole
digging in a hole?!

:scratch: Who said anything about Elevation? All I said was that line PSB added to Streets was odd and didn't go with the song's lyrics.

I have recently rediscovered the Pet Shop Boys since seeing them perform on Dancing with the Stars.....really enjoyed seeing them sing 'West End Girls'...very cool.

Zootlesque said:

:scratch: Who said anything about Elevation? All I said was that line PSB added to Streets was odd and didn't go with the song's lyrics.

i'm just saying that not everything u2 does is sacred. i do agree the cover of streets isn't good (at all), but it is funny. i guess doing a cover is making an own interpretation of it, and in that sense it's a well-made cover

b. john allen said:

i'm just saying that not everything u2 does is sacred. i do agree the cover of streets isn't good (at all), but it is funny. i guess doing a cover is making an own interpretation of it, and in that sense it's a well-made cover

Oh ok, yeah thats true. It's their interpretation of it, whether we like it or not. Nothing wrong in covering the song.

Wow. I'm surprised that there are acually people who can endure the sound of this guy's voice. The other day I was listening to this crap and found it unbearable. I though "Who could possibly like this?" and today I've found an answer. :huh:

It's all a matter of personal preference. I think Neil Tenant's voice is amazing. So smooth, often soothing, always beautiful. :heart:

Back
Top Bottom