perseid meteor shower peaks tonite! (northern hemisphere)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
best time to view is between 2am and dawn. the meteors can be seen anywhere in the sky but most will appear to be eminating from the constellation perseus in the eastern sky. 40-60 meteors per hour possible.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/08/11/pmeteor.shower/

(SPACE.com) -- A fine display of shooting stars is underway and peaks overnight Wednesday into early Thursday morning. Astronomers expect the 2004 Perseid meteor shower to be one of the best versions of the annual event in several years.

Watching meteors requires no special gear -- telescopes and binoculars are of no use. So anyone in the Northern Hemisphere with clear skies could see some "shooting stars."

Seasoned meteor watchers suggest finding a dark location away from city and suburban lights, if possible. Some brighter streaks will be visible from cities but urban lighting will drown out the bulk of them. Take a blanket or lounge chair so you can lie back and scan as much of the sky as possible, experts say.

Perseids can appear anywhere in the sky, but if traced back they will appear to emanate from a point in the constellation Perseus, which rises in late evening in the East and is high overhead in the wee hours before sunrise.
When to watch

During peak times, and for moments or perhaps hours at a stretch, the Perseids could generate about a meteor every minute for viewers in dark locations. Sporadic brief bursts of a few in a single minute sometimes occur.

A good display could begin Wednesday night starting around 9 p.m. local time for those with dark skies. Because of the celestial mechanics involved, a few "earthgrazing" meteors could emerge from near the horizon in these late evening hours and race horizontally across the sky.

The hours from 2 a.m. until dawn local time Thursday will be the best. That is when the side of Earth you stand on faces the oncoming stream of debris that creates the shower. Like an ornament on the hood of a car, a predawn viewer sees bits of ancient comet dust being scooped up by Earth's atmosphere as the planet plunges on its orbital course around the sun. Nighttime meteors have to catch up to the planet.

As a bonus Thursday, a thin crescent Moon will appear near Venus in the eastern predawn sky. Venus is unmistakably bright, outshining all other stars and planets right now.

Unlike last year when a Full Moon outshone many Perseids, this year the thin Moon won't be much of a hindrance.

:hug: beli. you have that beautiful southern hemisphere sky that i long to see someday.

i live in the city too. last year i took pics of the leonid meteor shower from my parkinglot by proping my camera up on my car (since i've lost my tri-pod attachment :mad: ) . after hours of pointing the camera up with the aperture open i only got one meteor lol. but not bad considering i'm 10 minutes away from down town dallas :wink:

i might try to take pics of the shower tonite/tomorrow morning if i have some film :hmm:

ABEL said:
i live in the city too. last year i took pics of the leonid meteor shower from my parkinglot by proping my camera up on my car (since i've lost my tri-pod attachment :mad: ) . after hours of pointing the camera up with the aperture open i only got one meteor lol. but not bad considering i'm 10 minutes away from down town dallas :wink:

i might try to take pics of the shower tonite/tomorrow morning if i have some film :hmm:

I suppose downtown Toronto is not the best place to be during a meteor shower :sigh:.

Good luck with the photos this time if you're going! :):up:

Awesome, I'll have to go for a walk really late tonight!

Thanks for posting about this!

omigosh omigosh! i just went out to take out my trash and i just saw a big bright beautiful meteor! and it's only 11:30! :hyper: i think i'm gonna go out for a while and try to take some pics. i was gonna go to bed early and try to get up around 2am but screw it im going out now!!! :hyper: :hyper: :applaud:

i just saw 3 more :hyper:

and if i'm lucky, two of them crossed across the angle of view to get in my camera! (of course if the stoopid thing is even working since only one of my cable releases is half way working blargh.)

the skies are VERY light poluted here. i can barely make out the constellations. and there are probably more meteors that i can't even see, that hopefully the camera might pick up.

i think i'm gonna go to bed now and wake up around 3 or 4am and check again.

Mr fah went outside around 11 pm and saw one. :up:

He came back inside the house and told me how beautiful it was but said I shouldn't go out now because as he was watching for meteors....a skunk joined him and was watching too.

:shifty:

i saw 4 big beautiful ones earlier between 11:30pm and 12am. i just checked now and was out for about 15 minutes between 2:45am and 3am and didn't see a thing. earlier they were coming one every 5-10 minutes.

i think maybe as the constellation perseus moves more directly overhead we may see more meteors but they are smaller since we are more into the direct trail of debris (left over from comet swift-tuttle), and that maybe the more longer fireball type meteors are seen earlier? i could be wrong though this is just speculation (and observation). i will have to reasearch that.

anyway i think i'm giving up for tonite. i would stay out longer but unfortunately i have to be at work at 8am. at least i was lucky enough to see 4 bright ones from the city. and hopefully i captured at least one (maybe 2) on film.

ah yesh i believe i was correct about the tails of the meteors. found this on skyandtelescope.com. and of course smaller tails = harder to see from the city lights :grumpy:

On the peak night, the Perseids will appear to diverge from a patch of sky between Perseus and Cassiopeia just east of the famous Double Cluster. The meteors? apparent divergence from this radiant point is an effect of perspective; the meteoroids are actually traveling in parallel through space. Meteors appearing near the radiant will display short trails because we see them nearly end on, while those far from the radiant, seen broadside, look much longer.

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/meteors/article_1289_1.asp

Abel, I want to thank you for posting about this again!

I checked intereference after having an extensive phone conversation with the one and only HeartlandGirl :up: Anyways, I saw this thread again and decided to make a little trip outside. Drove quickly over to Krispy Kreme and got some donuts and then made a little trip to the entrance to a small canyon near the mountains. I sat in my car in the parking lot trying to look up and see the meteors. I hadnt seen any, so I decided to get out. What do you know, the first thing I honestly saw was a really big one :up:

It ended up being a really cool time though, just stading outside listening to crickets in the entrance to the canyon while enjoying meteors and donuts. I'm really glad you posted about this. :up:

Last edited:
you still might have a chance to see some more meteors tonite and for the next couple nites. last nite was just the peak.

you should take a class diane! i took physics 1411 (intro to astronomy) and physics 1412 at one of the community colleges here a couple years ago. i was surprised that they were actually physics classes i was taking just for fun, lol. everyone thought i was crazy haha! even stranger is that some of the math equations that i've never been able to grasp before finally started making sense when it was a subject i could relate too...even logarithms started making sense haha! :up:

Back
Top Bottom