People make fun of me :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boosterjuice

Refugee
I am constantly being made fun of for my musical tastes. Not so much for liking U2, but for liking other less mainstream bands such as ; Ryan Adams, Bloc Party, Kasabian, the Bravery, etc.
The culprits are mainly my wife, brother, and cousin but even my friends at work bawk at my apparant "deviant" taste in music.

Ryan Adams is the perticular point of most of the ridicule. On their first listen, they instantly write it off as country music and give me dirty looks like I should be shot for listening to country.

But the good news is that I know I have great taste in music. The people who mock me are hypnotized by mainstream media. I actually feel sorry for them.

Do people you know make fun of your musical tastes? If so, what bands/artists do they mock?

Recently a friend dismissed a music recommendation from me because "Bloc Party doesnt sound like they'd be a good band from the name". His loss.

In the past I've been made fun of for being a fan of electronica (dont remember the artist).

Last edited:
I get made fun of for U2 all the time. Others I get made fun of for: Norah Jones, Bjork, Dave Matthews, Eisley and Keane, to name a few. Big deal. As long as you like what you're listening to, fuck everyone else.

i get teased for likeing old music all the time, i love U2, Beatles John Lennon, Pauol McCartney and Wings, Bruce Springsteen, Cold Chisel,Hunters and Collectors & Crowded house just to name a few.

but i mean for crying out loud the people who tease me like Britney Spears ect. (sorry for any fans) U2 have been going on for 25 years! Britney wont!

But hey just don't take anything they say seriously!

you have a great taste in music :)

I've never really liked the same music as everyone around me, so odd looks and rolled eyes are quite the norm for me. Most people decided I must be a junkie listening to all that "weird stuff" :rolleyes:

Even recently my sister asked me "How did you get mixed up with that stoner band?" (the stoner band is The Church -- well...it's pretty accurate :D ) I should have told her my dealer turned me on to them... :evil:

boosterjuice said:

Ryan Adams is the perticular point of most of the ridicule. On their first listen, they instantly write it off as country music and give me dirty looks like I should be shot for listening to country.

Maybe they mishear you, and think you said (B)ryan Adams!:wink:

Your musical choices - much like whether or not to utilize underwear - is a highly personal matter and should not be influenced, hampered, or otherwise deviated from based on the opinions of others.

(Besides, they have their own stupid bands - who are they to chastise you?!?!?)

:D :D :D :D :D :D

well my friends mock me of liking U2, DMB, Goo Goo Dolls, or just my taste in adult alternative/rock stuff.

then my family mocks me of liking hardcore/thrash metal bands like Misery Signals, Fear Before The March Of Flames, Dillinger Escape Plan, and stuff like that.

but I really just like so many genres that it's possible for anyone to say a band they don't like and I like, and they'll mock me.
I mean to criticize a band is all right because everyone has different tastes and opinions, but to tell you, "Ew, you like that band! They suck.." and try to attempt to change your opinion.

That bothers me. :tsk:

some bands that I like (the Allman Bros or the Who) are cool to like or at least respected, but I get picked on for liking U2, Arcade Fire, The Bravery, and The Cranberries in particular.

People that listen to pop and rap usually couldnt care less, but most of my friends are into rock, just crappy rock like emo that they've convinced theirselves is okay cos "they arent that big yet!" It's the emo/punk fans and the elitist classic rock fans that give you the most shit. (the ones that think all music is shit after Jim Morrison died).

i'll admit, i'm pretty much the music snob in my circle of friends.

the most flak i get is for listening to U2.

hmmmm ive been made fun of for msuical tastes since i can remember
ive never been a fan of pop, hip/hop or r&b and thats always whats been popular with classmates, so now im used to it.
currently all the rave where i live is on : gwen stefani, maroon 5, green day, killers, usher,
..none which i like

im ALWAYS being made fun of for being a u2 fan.. as well as springsteen, police and dylan :angry:

ive NEVER met a u2 fan in person

but im used to being made fun of music taste

we all know who has the better music taste:sexywink:

I SUCK at spelling and typos

inmyplace13 said:
As long as you like what you're listening to, fuck everyone else.

:up:

Your musical tastes make you an individual. We all have our opinions...we should all BASK in each others differences!

Last edited:
lmjhitman said:
the most flak i get is for listening to U2.
Seriously.

Oh, and the country haters can go suck a dick. Everyone pretends to have diverse and interesting tastes, but God forbid any twang enter into it. What's more annoying is when people say they hate all country except Johnny Cash or whoever else is trendy. Obviously, you haven't heard very much considering how much else out there is in the same vein.

Anyway, listen to whatever you like. Go forth and be uncool. Let everyone else worry about what's okay to like.

i hear country music at my work all the time :reject: so i know all the lyrics but i honestly don't like it
i guess it would be the equivelant of "corridos" in mexico which many people like but no matter how many times i listen to it i dont like it

the country doesnt irritate me as much as it used to but some of still does
lyrics:
"i loooove this bar"
"well i dont care, it's 5 oclock somewhere"
"i'm a redneck woman....."
"well i didnt cry, when old yeller died at least not when my friends were around"

:yuck:

and prepare youself

i like johnny cash ;)
...is woody guthrie country??
i like folk thats about as clsoe as ig et to country i guess

Last edited:
elevation2u said:
i hear country music at my work all the time :reject: so i know all the lyrics but i honestly don't like it
That's like hearing Nickelback on the radio and deciding rock sucks.

And yeah, the lines between country, folk, blues, and such get blurry, which is one of the reasons I think it's so silly to cast off entire genres when there's so much overlap to begin with.

thanks God, my two friends from school have great music taste and we always talk about music, they like very different things than me, but it's a nice feedback

oh yeah, we always make fun of those that listen to shitty music, ha!

typhoon said:

That's like hearing Nickelback on the radio and deciding rock sucks.

And yeah, the lines between country, folk, blues, and such get blurry, which is one of the reasons I think it's so silly to cast off entire genres when there's so much overlap to begin with.

i'm not trying to argue here or anything
but even rock stations play way better music than nickelback, and ive heard A LOT of country on radio
if youre trying to say that country music on the radio all sucks, then i see your point

elevation2u said:
if youre trying to say that country music on the radio all sucks, then i see your point
That's pretty much it, yeah.

And sorry, I'm not trying to get on your case, I'm just sayin'.

typhoon said:
Seriously.
:huh: i'm guessing my post didn't come across as intended.
i meant that people i know call me a music snob and pretty much poo-poo everything that i listen to, ESPECIALLY U2.
Anyway, listen to whatever you like. Go forth and be uncool. Let everyone else worry about what's okay to like.
that's basically my philosophy. :up:

You have a right to like whatever you want, it's silly to get that bothered by someone else's taste in music. There are far more important things in the world. There is music I think is total crap, but if someone else likes it that's their thing..

Some people do that in this forum, that's the main reason I don't post here all that much.

boosterjuice said:

Ryan showed me that not all country music is bad. I'm actually a lot more open to country now.

However, one of the great things about Ryan is that he isn't just country. He is so versatile.

Back
Top Bottom