Penguins get Crosby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
Penguins won the 1st pick in the NHL lottery. So they'll take Crosby.

Who would have thunk one of the bankrupt teams would have gotten Crosby, and now with him and Fleury in the net, they'll have one heck of a team.

Sucks to be GM of the Panthers right about now.

Then again, when does it not?

:sexywink:

With the potential drafting of Crosby, the prospect of Recchi returning, and another installment of the Lemieux farewell tour, it looks like the glory years of the Pens may be relived this year. Without the Jagr mullet though, much to the disappointment of puckbunnies across the globe.

Last edited:
cujo said:
Without the Jagr mullet though, much to the disappointment of puckbunnies across the globe.

Hey, the only mullet you'll ever see this puckbunny get excited over is Larry's.
larry2.gif

:wink:

I am pretty excited for the Pens.

LoserAlert:

I had the list of the final teams all down on a piece of paper as TSN announced the order....I thought "Ooo..Montreal" - then they got called. After the Wild were called, I got REALLY nervous, knowing two sucky markets were left, and Pittsburgh.

Cheers for Pittsburgh...looking forward to making the 3 hour drive to see a game this winter.

Conspiracy theory...just like the 85 NBA draft was rigged for the Knicks and Ewing, this was rigged for the Penguins to get Crosby and save the franchise.

zoney! said:
LoserAlert:

I had the list of the final teams all down on a piece of paper as TSN announced the order...

Nice.

I guess I qualify for loserdom as well then. My fellow co-workers and I watched the live stream webcast of the lottery while conducting an office pool for who would grab the first overall pick.

Yes, I lost. Damned Columbus can't even win at being a loser.

According to the new scheduling system, cities in the Western Conference will only see Crosby once every 3 years. The new schedule encourages divisional rivalries with 8 games between divisional teams, 6 between the other teams in the conference and a 5 game road trip to the other conference with a 5 game home stand against teams from the other conference. So if he is the second coming of Gretzky which I doubt, many fans won't see him live and in person.

Being a PENS fans since 87 (eventhough I live near Toronto) I couldn't be happier. With Lemieux practically done, Jagr gone and a host of other talented Pens that have left the new crop of young players look great. And with Fleury in net and now Crosby (the next Lemieux) we finally should get back on winning ways (eventhough it'll still take a couple of years). GO PENS GO!!!

I would've liked to see Crosby go to a Canadian team, but oh well. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the big league as he was absolutely incredible in the QMJHL.

I saw a magazine at the shop the other night and it said something like "Can Sidney Crosby Save the NHL" . Geez.. no pressure on the kid or anything!

DaveC said:
Mario Lemieux and Sidney Crosby on the ice together... :drool:

I second that - I absolute love Pittsburgh (my fave, along with the Habs) solely because of Mario and am terribly excited to see them play together.

Let`s hope Crosby doesn`t turn out to be as "great" as Eric Lindros after all the hype dies down...

lets not anoint fleury as golden just yet. he has been a little shaky so far. this should be his 'coming out' year but only time will tell.
the pens may enjoy 5-7 years of success before their entire team hits free agency at the same time.

kobayashi said:
lets not anoint fleury as golden just yet. he has been a little shaky so far.

Aye, he has...showing flashes of brilliance but wildly unpredictable. Still, I'm excited to see what happens with him in the next few years.

Why do people put so much pressure on these very young goalies? They come with unreasonably high expectations, when I suspect many hockey fans would agree that goalies tend to peak later than skaters. How on Earth can we expect Fleury, or any goalie that young regardless of how talented, to carry a team just as young and green as he himself is?

That said, I do think it'll be a good year to be a Pens fan.

pax said:
Why do people put so much pressure on these very young goalies?

I think that expectation dates back to the days of Ken Dryden, when he was forced into the job of number one for the Canadiens during the playoffs. Dryden ended up winning the Conn Smythe (Playoff MVP, for those less familiar) trophy before he qualified as a rookie in the NHL. Patrick Roy experienced similar success at the beginning of his career, and Ed Belfour and a few subsequent 'tenders have captured the Calder trophy for their standout rookie seasons. Since then, young goalies have been held to high standards (especially French Canadian netminders), and with the high media exposure that coincides with the World Junior Championships... prospects are scrutinized on a national level at a very early age.

Developmentally (in my opinion), it seems that the position of defense takes the longest to acquire consistency, and often folks allow maturity to happen with these players. Expectation becomes more of a long-term statistic, and immediate results are emphasized less. The same attitude should be adopted for all players... but the strive for perfection is an internal pressure as well. For some it works, while others fade in the afterglow of success (Giguere).

Fleury will probably take another few years to find his consistency, but in the mean time he will be fun to watch.

Last edited:
Fleury will never be a Brodeur:) Marty is on pace to break the shutout record. :drool: Marty....Devils...whee!:)

U2Fan101 said:
Fleury will never be a Brodeur:) Marty is on pace to break the shutout record.

Also of note... his record of extra-marital affairs!

I foresee an ugly season for Brodeur. With a few of the Devils' notable defensemen on the budget chopping block, the introduction of rules to limit goaltender mobility, and the scaling down of equipment, this year will be quite a departure from the Brodeur status quo.

If the shutout record is to be broken, it will be primarily a product of New Jersey's system. Of course, that's a simple statement to make seeing as team commitment and support is the foundation for all of the great goaltenders, but in Brodeur's case it seems he has been afforded a disproportionate amount in comparison to his peers. I guess I will always reserve doubts about Martin's accolades because of my own personal bias and the fact that his defensemen have been voted by both fans and critics as First Team All-Stars nearly every year. Although, some might argue that Niedermayer, Stevens, Rafalski, and others would not receive credit without the stellar backstopping of everyone's favourite adulterer/goaltender. It's a cyclical argument.

The one praise I will place upon Brodeur is that he plays the patience and stamina game better than anyone. It is a difficult style of netminding to face very few scoring chances and to maintain focus for a regulation game (nevermind additional periods). In that regard, a 40 save night for Roberto Luongo may be as difficult as a 9 save night for Martin Brodeur (I'm looking at you Maple Leafs of '99).

Fleury has the potential to be better. I am happy to see that he is with a team not known for its defensive prowess... allowing Marc-Andre to develop his skills under constant barrage.

cujo said:

Also of note... his record of extra-marital affairs!

I foresee an ugly season for Brodeur. With a few of the Devils' notable defensemen on the budget chopping block, the introduction of rules to limit goaltender mobility, and the scaling down of equipment, this year will be quite a departure from the Brodeur status quo.

If the shutout record is to be broken, it will be primarily a product of New Jersey's system. Of course, that's a simple statement to make seeing as team commitment and support is the foundation for all of the great goaltenders, but in Brodeur's case it seems he has been afforded a disproportionate amount in comparison to his peers. I guess I will always reserve doubts about Martin's accolades because of my own personal bias and the fact that his defensemen have been voted by both fans and critics as First Team All-Stars nearly every year. Although, some might argue that Niedermayer, Stevens, Rafalski, and others would not receive credit without the stellar backstopping of everyone's favourite adulterer/goaltender. It's a cyclical argument.

The one praise I will place upon Brodeur is that he plays the patience and stamina game better than anyone. It is a difficult style of netminding to face very few scoring chances and to maintain focus for a regulation game (nevermind additional periods). In that regard, a 40 save night for Roberto Luongo may be as difficult as a 9 save night for Martin Brodeur (I'm looking at you Maple Leafs of '99).

Fleury has the potential to be better. I am happy to see that he is with a team not known for its defensive prowess... allowing Marc-Andre to develop his skills under constant barrage.

Very well said Cujo. I actually do agree with you on the fact that Marty's stats are probably heightened by the fact of the great defensemen that he has in front of him. I also agree that the defensemen's greatness are heightened by the goaltender behind them. Frankly, I think they work off of each other and Marty and D-men just continue to push each other furthur into the 'All-Star' spectrum. Though, as a Devils fan, I have always wondered of the true ability of Marty's playing, and if he was placed on a team with poor defense, how he would stack up as a netminder.

Very nice post you had indeed. It looked at both ends of the spectrums, and not too many sports fans do that. Usually it's "My team rules! Your team sucks!". You brought up a great point about Fleury that being behind a poor defense will really test him and make him into either a great goaltender, or someone who was just talked up to be one. In any event, it will be fun to watch the Penguins this year.

NICE.

Fortunately, the Penguins' defense corps has one of the best names in hockey:

Dick Tarnstrom.

Mantastic to the ears, no?

Aside from that, the Pens defense is without a doubt... OFFENSIVE.

Back
Top Bottom