Pedicure By Fish Nibbling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
They had this on GMA this morning and Diane Sawyer did it

capt.1f880fd57e7c4a48a5aa48387427cb98.aptopix_fish_pedicures_vajm101.jpg

NEW YORK (CBS) ― The search for a better pedicure has taken a strange twist. A new spa treatment is pushing the limit, when it comes to making your feet feel better, and there's something really fishy about it.

Welcome to the weird world of fish pedicures. Friendly little flesh eaters are making feet feel softer, one bite at a time.

"You stick four toes in there, you come out with four toes if you have four," said John Ho, who runs the Yvonne Hair and Nails salon with his wife Yvonne Le, travelled all the way to China to learn the art of using these tiny doctor fish, which are toothless, to give pedicures.

Garra rufa, commonly known as doctor fish chow down on the tough calluses and dead skin on your feet, something they apparently find very tasty.

"They're actually nibbling on your feet. It doesn't hurt in any way, it tickles like hell though," said Ho.

He said the result is smoother, and the practice more sanitary than using a razor to scrape your feet.

"They love it. I have people coming back many, many times," he said.

Ho, who runs a salon in northern Virginia, has treated more than 5,000 customers. The cost: $35 for 15 minutes with the fish.

"It's starting to feel like a massage more than a pedicure," one customer said.

"It is my first time. It feels great," added another.

Now, the fish don't do the job alone. After a trip to the tank, customers also get a standard pedicure, made easier by the soft skin the fish leave behind.

And with all those customers taking the plunge, it does raise an interesting question. Do the fish ever get full?

According to Ho, "they never get full."

And if you think that was bad, Ho is working on a full body treatment, to help patients with psoriasis and other skin ailments.

That's just odd :der: But ok..

I have to say though.. $35 for 15 minutes with the fish? Those little suckers make more than I do :grumpy:

my huzben stuck his feet in a saltwater canal when we were on vacation and shrimp came up and were nibbling on his toes and then they started nibbling mine. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom