Passport?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I'm most likely going to Africa for January. I've never been out of this country (besides to Sarnia, Ontario twice); I've never been on a plane. I have to get a passport by September, but neither I nor my parents have any clue where you get one from. Someone help.

As far as I know you get it at the Post Office...that's where I got mine from. There are only certain post offices that offer that service so you'll have to check. :)

Yes, it is usually the main post office in the city that you live. I should have renewed mine, but I let it expire.

I think I got mine from the courthouse when I got it done. The best idea is to use the link ABEL posted and find the place closest to you.

Thanks guys! I'll check out those links and call those places.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
I have no idea about getting passports in the US, but I just wanted to ask where in Africa you're going to visit? :)

We're going to Tanzania for a month. I believe the program is titled "The Church's Influence on Development". How I understand it is that in Tanzania there is no seperation of church and state and since like 80% of the populartion live in rural communities, the church is usually the center of the community. We're studying/observing church programs in the towns (I think they're all along the northern part of the country). I know someone who went last year and she said they visit tons of places, even AIDS clinics, and stay with host families and host churches. We also get to see Mt. Kilimanjaro, cross Lake Victoria in an overnight boat ride, and spend 4 days on a safari on the Serengeti.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
We're going to Tanzania for a month. I believe the program is titled "The Church's Influence on Development". How I understand it is that in Tanzania there is no seperation of church and state and since like 80% of the populartion live in rural communities, the church is usually the center of the community. We're studying/observing church programs in the towns (I think they're all along the northern part of the country). I know someone who went last year and she said they visit tons of places, even AIDS clinics, and stay with host families and host churches. We also get to see Mt. Kilimanjaro, cross Lake Victoria in an overnight boat ride, and spend 4 days on a safari on the Serengeti.

Wow. That sounds amazing! I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time there. :)

I used the passport links above to renew my passport. I had my photos taken at a local camera shop. It took the State Dept. 6 weeks to process mine. I got my first passport from the US post office. It was no big deal. Either way you will have your passport in enough time prior to your trip. Enjoy your exotic trip to Africa. I think that is fantastic. :D

OK, I will do it tomorrow b/c I'm supposed to have it ready in September so that the visas are all set on time.

meegannie said:
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I want to go to Mozambique and re-enact the migration of lemurs by floating over to Madagascar on a log.

:laugh:

*wonders how far it is from Mozambique to Madagascar*

Wow, it takes you that long? In Canada, we get ours in 5-10 business days, unless you pay a fee and then you get it the next day.

Have fun in Africa!

anitram said:
Wow, it takes you that long? In Canada, we get ours in 5-10 business days, unless you pay a fee and then you get it the next day.

My mom said something about the Homeland Security and them being suspicious of people applying for passports and needing them immediately...I dunno though. One of my aunts said hers came in 10 days. If we need one in a day, I think we have to go to Chicago and get it ourselves instead of it being made there and mailed to us.

I got my new passport from the post office, but only because my last one was a child's one and I had to apply for an adult passport. Renewing an adult passport is apparently a lot easier.

I'm suspicious of the whole system though, because when I went to do the passport interview at the post office, they just wanted my old passport and driver's licence number - they didn't even look at that photo. Theoretically I could just steal a passport from someone who looks like me and pass it off as my own. Not that I was tempted to do that, but it made me wonder.

Back
Top Bottom