Parcells - ends a long and successful career

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No spoken words said:

I don't think this phenomenon is unique to the Cowboys, but, it does seem to be more prevalent with bigger name teams, at least in my experience. But, I know a lot more than 2 Cowboy fans, and I live nowhere near Dallas.

Or teams that have recently started winning big, that's all.

I was at a Magic game tonight, and they played the Mavericks.

There were probably an "even amount of fans" at the game, really.

I think 4 of them might've been Mavs fans 10 years ago.

No spoken words said:

But, I know a lot more than 2 Cowboy fans, and I live nowhere near Dallas.

I said I know 2 REAL Cowboy fans. I have known dozens, maybe hundreds of 'cowboy fans', but they were bandwagoners and fakes who didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground, they only wanted to brag, trash talk and wear that star :tsk: :down:

It's looks like this thread has turned into a tangent about the Cowboys and their fans. I believe the focus is supposed to be on Parcells.
It's been rumored already that Parcells might go to the Jets as a consultant, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

U2Kitten said:

I said I know 2 REAL Cowboy fans. I have known dozens, maybe hundreds of 'cowboy fans', but they were bandwagoners and fakes who didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground, they only wanted to brag, trash talk and wear that star :tsk: :down:

Yeah, I know what you said and thought I replied directly to it. When I said that I knew more than 2 Cowboy fans, figured it was clear that I meant more than 2 REAL fans, since I was replying to what you said. Not bandwagoners or fakes, actual Cowboy fans. Since I'm in my 30's and follow sports pretty closely, it's kind of implied that I'll have met more than 2 REAL Cowboy fans by now. Bandwagon fans are annoying, but as I said, they pop up all the time for all teams.

As for Parcells, I always have admired and respected his coaching ability and track record, and I'm sorry to see him go, especially on the note their season ended on. But, when he agreed to take Jerry Jones' $$$, he must have known what he was getting into, so the team going out and getting TO did not surprise me, and it would shock me if his presence on the team did not contribute to Parcells leaving. I heard a rumor at work, though, that Parcells was forced out, and they allowed him to quit...that he was all set to head to the combines as of Monday morning, but then all of a sudden he retired. Not saying it is true, just something we heard.

MrPryck2U said:
You know, before maybe last week, I can't say that I've ever heard the Cowboys referred to as the Smellboys.

It's something my brother and I made up when we were kids, and it stuck. I have a hard time not calling them that :giggle:

No spoken words said:

Yeah, I know what you said and thought I replied directly to it. When I said that I knew more than 2 Cowboy fans, figured it was clear that I meant more than 2 REAL fans, since I was replying to what you said. Not bandwagoners or fakes, actual Cowboy fans.

Okay!

Since I'm in my 30's and follow sports pretty closely

Me too!

Bandwagon fans are annoying, but as I said, they pop up all the time for all teams.

Oh sure, all successful teams get them, but at least in my life, in VA, there is nothing to compare to Cowboy bandwagoning. Another factor is that this is big Redskin country, and a lot of people like to be jerks and root for Dallas just to piss off the Redskin fans. :down:

Last edited:
I'm not sure if when Parcells signed as Cowboys' coach that he anticipated Double J getting TO. TO just happened to be available at a certain time. Like after last season, 3 years into Parcells' run as coach. TO was a microcosm of why Parcells left and was NOT forced out. Today's NFL star is a prima donna asshole who thinks he's above the coach. When Double J sees TO, he sees dollar signs, that's why TO is still around. Like him or not, he's ratings or asses in seats. Parcells was either going to have to deal with it or quit. He chose to quit. Good for him. We all know Parcells' credo is "my way or the highway, pal!". TO is a proverbial crack in the dam. Parcells could eventually see that in the coming years, there will be more prima donna assholes like TO and Randy Moss. He's in mid-60's. Why should he deal with all of this bullshit? For Bill Parcells, it's always got to be about what's in the best interest of Bill Parcells. In Dallas, leaving was his best move. Also, knowing Parcells, I think he'll pop up sooner or later as a "consultant" somewhere. It's a long offseason.

MrPryck2U said:
I'm not sure if when Parcells signed as Cowboys' coach that he anticipated Double J getting TO. TO just happened to be available at a certain time. Like after last season, 3 years into Parcells' run as coach. TO was a microcosm of why Parcells left and was NOT forced out. Today's NFL star is a prima donna asshole who thinks he's above the coach. When Double J sees TO, he sees dollar signs, that's why TO is still around. Like him or not, he's ratings or asses in seats. Parcells was either going to have to deal with it or quit. He chose to quit. Good for him. We all know Parcells' credo is "my way or the highway, pal!". TO is a proverbial crack in the dam. Parcells could eventually see that in the coming years, there will be more prima donna assholes like TO and Randy Moss. He's in mid-60's. Why should he deal with all of this bullshit? For Bill Parcells, it's always got to be about what's in the best interest of Bill Parcells. In Dallas, leaving was his best move. Also, knowing Parcells, I think he'll pop up sooner or later as a "consultant" somewhere. It's a long offseason.

Oh, I doubt Parcells or anyone else could have predicted a TO signing, but, it was not a surprise, either. Guys like Jones, Snyder, they have egos a mile wide and like to make headlines, and maybe win ball games, too. An organization like the Steelers would never sign a clown like TO, for example, so anyone taking a job there can be pretty sure that it's about winning football games, not about marketing and such. So, Parcells knew what he was getting into when he joined Jones' circus. Or he should have.

Was gonna say, bandwagon Boys fans in the VA area must be obnoxious, that's Skins country. Same when I grew up in NYC...you do not want to be a Boys or Skins or Eagles fan there. Glad someone in here is as prehistoric as I am, U2kitten. :)

I live on Long Island(NY) and there are a decent amount of Cowboy's fans. Remember, they used to be called America's team. Plus, Parcells has got this area covered having coached the Giants and Jets. I hated when he took the Dallas job. I'm pretty sure Pats' fans hated when he went to the Jets. It seems to me that Parcells was all about the power and the money. Without enough of either one, he didn't stick around too long. Great coach, though.

zoney! said:
Jason Garrett spoke with Jones today about the Cowboys job.

????
Apparently about the offensive coordinator job and the head coaching job...who's running these interviews? Al Davis?

I bet Jones wishes he had held on to Sean Payton last offseason, he'd have stepped in as head coach 30 seconds after Tuna resigned.

MrPryck2U said:
Really, the Giants haven't even made it to the NFC championship game since Parcells left.

even if this were true, which it isn't... HE WON TWO SUPER BOWLS.

two... count 'em. one, two.

after winning two super bowls, he can do whatever the hell he wants from that point on. he could spit on an LT jersey if he wants. he won two, he did more than enough in my book.

saying someone screwed a team when they left after providing said team with a championship is very red sox fan of you :wink:

Dude, relax! Someone pointed out already that the Giants made it to the Super Bowl after he left. I already explained that I erased it from my memory because they lost. It's gonna be ok. I think you need a hug. Face it, Parcells is a whore. I'm glad he coached the Giants to 2 Super Bowl victories, but that was a long time ago.
By the way, he did screw the Giants. They were in the middle of mini camp when he resigned from the team. As a result, there were no coaches really available and the Giants were forced to hire Ray Handley.

No spoken words said:

Was gonna say, bandwagon Boys fans in the VA area must be obnoxious, that's Skins country. Same when I grew up in NYC...you do not want to be a Boys or Skins or Eagles fan there.

Yeah, they sure are! What happens to Boy bandwagoners in NYC? I hope it's not good!

Glad someone in here is as prehistoric as I am, U2kitten. :)

Me too! Good to have somebody who remembers it all. It's fun to remember all the old games and old teams.

Parcells lost it for me when he decided not to fly back with the Pats after losing the Superbowl...and his love for Beldsoe also..I mean WTF?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
what's the difference between being a bandwagon jumper and rooting for a dozen different teams?

Depends.

If you are like me and have lived in several different cities in the past few years, AND have the opportunity to work with the local team....is it "bandwagon jumping?"

Deep down, I will always be a Vikings fan (despite growing up five miles from Giants Stadium). That's how I was raised. For two years I had Vikings season tickets. BUT, nothing beat growing up five miles from Giants Stadium during the Parcells years.

After leaving NJ, I moved to Minnesota for 12 years. Even had Vikings season tickets. Then moved to Illinois, then to Pennsylvania (where my company had a contract with the Eagles), and now live in Indianapolis (where my company has a contract with the Colts). When these local teams win, I win in a way.

what's the difference between being a bandwagon jumper and rooting for a dozen different teams?

I've tried to explain this many times. A bandwagon jumper is someone who changes teams depending on who's winning, then changes again, with no loyalty whatsoever, and usually not much knowledge of the game. If you root for more than one team, it means you have developed an affection for each team for some reason at some time over the years and claim them as 'your' team and want them to win. You do not abandon them when the lose, or switch to a new one. They're still yours, there's just more than one. There are four teams besides the Colts that I 'root' for and want to do well, but the Colts are #1 and I'd root for them over any of the others if it came to it. I have not taken on a 'new' team since you were in diapers, Headache (1981) so I don't think it's fair to call me a 'bandwagoner' for any of them.

And come on, don't you all usually find someone to pull for in the playoffs if your team doesn't make it? Haven't we all done that? It doesn't mean you've betrayed your team or become a bandwagoner. If you guys could meet the bandwagoners I've known, you'd know what I was talking about!

And while I'm on a rant, back to the Ravens being the Browns. Oh sure, they changed the history to the new Browns after the fact, but it's still unfair to Cleveland fans because the new Browns (new puppy with the same name while their old dog with all the memories moved to Baltimore) SUCK and are, like any EXPANSION team, years away from any success. Meanwhile, the Ravens (real Browns) won a Super Bowl not long after moving, with much of the old roster that had been the Browns, so really, Browns fans were cheated out of a Super Bowl that the Baltimore fans now claim (as hypocrites who whine about the Colts moving while they took the real Browns and changed their clothes.) Okay rant over.

U2Kitten said:
Headache (1981)

eh, 1980

U2Kitten said:
And come on, don't you all usually find someone to pull for in the playoffs if your team doesn't make it?

only for gambling purposes.

i'll like players on different teams, but i have emotional attachment to one team per sport and one team only. :shrug: to me that's the only way you can go, but to each his own i guess.

i'd go to celtic games when i was in new hampshire, but only for the sake of going to the game... i'd never root for the celtics. as bad as they may be, i'll always be a knicks fan... and a mets fan and a giants fan. i was an islanders fan at one point, but i gave that upon the discovery that hockey is for communists.

i just feel it's much more rewarding when you root for ONE team and one team only... having just one team, even through the lowest lows makes the highest highs all the better, IMO. when you have more than one "favorite team" you can just switch to one of your "other" teams if your team isn't doing well... and that's pretty gangsta in my mind.

my only exception is college basketball, where i stay neutral because i know too many people involved in the sport to root for any one team... i know people at northwestern, villanova, hofstra, columbia, davidson & fordham, and in the past years have known people at hartford, quinnipiac, maryland, wake & yale. so it's next to impossible to have one team, so i don't have one. if i had attened a D1 university, that would be the school... but i was a lowly D3 player, so, yea... no.

i just feel it's much more rewarding when you root for ONE team and one team only... having just one team, even through the lowest lows makes the highest highs all the better, IMO. when you have more than one "favorite team" you can just switch to one of your "other" teams if your team isn't doing well... and that's pretty gangsta in my mind.

:up:

I grew up in New England, and I've been a Patriots fan the whole time, and only a Patriots fan. So yeah, I stuck with them during the Rod Rust and Dick McPherson years when they were lucky to win 2 games in a season. I used to watch all those games and pull for them no matter how bad they sucked.

That's why it's so rewarding for long time Patriots fans to be enjoying this team throughout this decade. We've stuck with them through all of the crap to get to this point. I find it hilarious that people say they are sick of the Patriots winning, when it's really only been that way for five years (with some quick high points in the mid-80's under Raymond Berry and the mid-90's under Parcells). It's not like they have gone as long as the Steelers, Cowboys, or 49ers yet.

phanan said:

I find it hilarious that people say they are sick of the Patriots winning, when it's really only been that way for five years (with some quick high points in the mid-80's under Raymond Berry and the mid-90's under Parcells). It's not like they have gone as long as the Steelers, Cowboys, or 49ers yet.
Don't forget the mid-late 70's teams(you were probably a bit young I suppose) of Grogan, Hannah, Nelson et al...those were some of the best Pats teams ever in terms of overall roster talent, just some bad breaks (Stabler roughing the passer call) and the inability to stop Earl Campbell probably prevented a Super Bowl appearance or two from 76-79.

Headache, I have lived in LA for over 9 years now, but still root for my original 4 teams: Islanders, 76'ers, Steelers and the Yankees. However, I will say that for the NFL, growing up in NY did not allow for many opportunities to watch my Steelers, at least not when I was a kid....and so, eventually, I developed an addinity for the Giants...and I still have it....I have Sunday NFL Ticket and I watch every Steeler and Giant game (if they are on at the same itme I alternate) and so, for that one sport, because of allegiances that sprang up in my youth, I root heavily for 2 teams...but, if push comes to shove, if they ever played in the SB, I'd root for the Steelers, though it would be very odd to root against the Giants.

I like the Kotite/Handley 2 trains on the same track comment. Thinking about the Handley era gives me the chills.

Lastly, amen on Parcells.. He screwed the franchise? Whatever, he won them 2 SB's and that's what I remember about his tenure in Jersey.

Hewson said:
Don't forget the mid-late 70's teams(you were probably a bit young I suppose) of Grogan, Hannah, Nelson et al...those were some of the best Pats teams ever in terms of overall roster talent, just some bad breaks (Stabler roughing the passer call) and the inability to stop Earl Campbell probably prevented a Super Bowl appearance or two from 76-79.

Yeah, I was only 6 during the infamous Raiders game, so that part of their history is a bit blurry to me.

U2Kitten said:

And come on, don't you all usually find someone to pull for in the playoffs if your team doesn't make it? Haven't we all done that?

No. Take this year for example-I will watch the Superbowl to hopefully see some good football (and the ads) I could give a rat's ass who wins. I am certaintly not going to cheer for the Bears just because I don't like the Colts. I didn't cheer for the Steelers or the Seahwaks last year either.

I lived in DC for six years. I went to almost every Bullets and Capitals game (friend worked for the USair arena...dating myself I know) I went to have soemthing to do and never once betrayed my loyalty to the Celtics and the Bruins (although I am really ashamed to admit it now!!)

I dunno I just could never be loyal to more than one team-too much work I guess:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom