Paramount cuts ties with Tom Cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl1978

Blue Crack Addict
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures unit is ending its 14-year relationship with Tom Cruise's film production company because of the actor's offscreen behavior, the company's chairman said in an interview with the Wall Street Journal.

Sumner Redstone, Viacom chairman, said the behavior of the star of the "Mission: Impossible" series and "Top Gun" was unacceptable to the company, according to the Wall Street Journal story e-mailed to reporters.

Cruise, one of Hollywood's biggest stars, has been known more recently for his antics on U.S. television talk shows, including jumping up and down on Oprah Winfrey's couch to declare his love for Katie Holmes and criticizing the use of antidepressant drugs.

"As much as we like him personally, we thought it was wrong to renew his deal," Redstone was quoted as saying in the Wall Street Journal. "His recent conduct has not been acceptable to Paramount."

Cruise's representatives and officials from Viacom and Paramount did not have any immediate comment on the report.

sounds more like sour grapes from viacom/ paramount

"M:i:III," which is still in theaters, has taken in almost $390 million worldwide.

Cruise's "War of the Worlds" (also a Paramount film) made $591 million at the box office.

After being contacted by the Wall Street Journal, Cruise's representatives presented a different version of events. They said that Tom's production company had decided to set up an independent operation financed by two top hedge funds, which they declined to name. Paula Wagner, Mr. Cruise's partner in the company, said such an arrangement represented a new business model for top actors prominent enough to take advantage of the flood of money coming into Hollywood from Wall Street.

"This is a dream of Tom and mine," Wagner said. She challenged Redstone's assertion that Tom's behavior had cost the studio ticket sales, pointing out that the star's movies have made the studio a huge amount of money.

I think Tom Cruise cut ties with Paramount, the film-going public, and reality a long time ago :eyebrow:

Who knows what the truth is. Tom Cruise wasn't "sacked" as many media outlets are reporting. Tom Cruise's production company had a contract with Paramount. That contract came to it's end and wasn't renewed, by which party specificaly, or by mutual agreement, seems to be where there debate is. Cruise was pulling great money and talent over to Paramount. You don't get Cruise in your film without getting his production company involved. And if you get his production company involved, the film goes to Paramount. This has even managed to trump other big deals, eg Cruise/Speilberg films end up getting released by Paramount, not DreamWorks (when DreamWorks was alligned with Universal, not Paramount as they are now) which otherwise never happens with Speilberg films. Cruise himself though gets an unusually large cut from his own films, both from the theatre ticket and from DVD sales. Some ridiculous % of every Cruise DVD sale goes straight to him. Perhaps some math has been done, and figuring Cruise on the slide and demanding the same or better terms as before simply isn't worth it, especially with Paramount just acquiring the DreamWorks crew.

I can't name names or studios but my uncle works for one of the BIG studios and during some stories he was telling last weekend mentioned that Tom Cruise's plane is housed in the hangar next to another certain studio's plane hangar and I heard that nobody at the air strip like Cruise, they say he is a cocky FREAK, not to mention a tiny little man. :lmao:

Xenu.jpg

It's all Xenu's doing (he's still alive you know, but he's broken out from the eternal force field that kept him captive.)

Beck is next in his sights. Then Jenna Elfman.

I give Katie another 6 months tops in the nuthouse before she cuts the ties too. :giggle:

latimes.com

Tom Cruise has cut a deal with a group that includes the owner of the Washington Redskins to finance the overhead costs of his film production company, sources close to the negotiations said today.

Redskins owner Daniel M. Snyder, chairman of Six Flags Inc., is said to be a leading investor in an agreement that would give Cruise less than $3 million annually to finance staff and office expenses. In exchange, Snyder and the others will have the ability to finance movies developed by Cruise and his producing partner, Paula Wagner.

The two-year deal gives Cruise less than the $3 million a year that he reportedly turned down from Paramount Pictures to renew his longtime deal with the studio that expires Thursday.

Cruise and Wagner had been receiving an estimated $10 million annually from Paramount to cover their overhead under the soon to be expired deal.

When Cruise was publicly dismissed from Paramount by the studio's owner, Viacom Inc. Chairman Sumner Redstone, last week, Wagner claimed that the team had lined up financing from hedge funds to cover the much larger cost of developing movies. The team was seeking at least $100 million, according to sources. The name of the hedge fund remains unknown and Cruise's lawyer Bertram Fields said last week there was no hedge fund deal.

Several top banking sources said they had not heard of any deal struck by Cruise with a hedge fund.

Tom Cruise is a great entertainer, but a terrible actor. If he was a great actor he might be able to ride over all this shit with great performances, but he's not, so he won't. He'll show up in something wearing a different uniform again, playing the same character again, and it will tank.

Earnie Shavers said:
Tom Cruise is a great entertainer, but a terrible actor. If he was a great actor he might be able to ride over all this shit with great performances, but he's not, so he won't. He'll show up in something wearing a different uniform again, playing the same character again, and it will tank.

are you saying you don't like him as:

the cocky football player
the cocky high school kid
the cocky fighter pilot
the cocky pool hustler
the cocky bartender
the cocky older brother of Raymond
the cocky vietnam soldier
the cocky race car driver
the cocky lawyer
the cocky vampire
the cocky sports agent
the cocky special agent
the cocky sex addict
the cocky guy who loses his face
the cocky policeman from the future
the cocky father

:shrug:

Last edited:
tom cruise is not my favorite actor by any measure

but here is a list of films that I thoroughly enjoyed

# Born on the Fourth of July (1989) .... Ron Kovic
# Rain Man (1988) .... Charlie Babbitt
# Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994) .... Lestat de Lioncourt
# Magnolia (1999) .... Frank T.J. Mackey
# Eyes Wide Shut (1999) .... Dr. William 'Bill' Harford
# Minority Report (2002) .... Chief John Anderton
# Vanilla Sky (2001) .... David Aames
# War of the Worlds (2005) .... Ray Ferrier
# Collateral (2004) .... Vincent

i also enjoyed the MI films, but to a lesser degree

I really do not understand all the hate
towards him

my attitude is live and let live
unless one is doing harm to someone else

Magnolia is one of my fave films of all time!

Vanilla Sky & Eyes Wide Shut I also love.

I've never cared for him, ever! But then again I've never cared for Keanu, Brad, Clooney, Mc Conaughey [spelling waay off], Pierce Brosman, even though I'm sure each has made a movie or a couple I actually like.

SunBloc said:
I give Katie another 6 months tops in the nuthouse before she cuts the ties too. :giggle:

Usually I read about stars lives with complete detachment, but if katie walked away, that's one split I'd truly be happy about. I think it stems from his cult-like influence and control issues. People like him dont deserve to succeed.

:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom