paint accident--help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
This afternoon when I was working I thought I'd screwed the top securely onto a tube of acrylic paint. Unfortunately, I hadn't screwed it on securely enough. The thing came off, and unfortunately right after that I stepped on the damn thing and got a most horrid stain on the rug. The only thing I've ever used that got any acrylic paint out of anything was rubbing alcohol. This stain is way too tough for rubbing alcohol. Does anyone know anything that gets out acrylic paint? This is not a positive development to put it mildly. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I'm sorry Verte that sucks :( :hug:

I don't know the particular name of it, but Wal-Mart and most grocery stores carry a line of stain specific getter outers in the detergent or cleaner aisle. There are special ones for crayon, ink, tomato sauce, etc., I'm sure there's one for paint. It's worth a try. It's kind of expensive (like 3-4 bucks a small bottle) but it's worth it to save your rug if it works. Good luck.

Maybe your Mom might have a tube of that old Didi 7 crap they used to sell on TV that was supposed to get anything out?

hi verte...
I'm U2zoogirl's alterego ( heheh...remember me??)... I work a lot with acrilics and usually any wet stain of that must go off with water and soap, cuz acrilics are water-based....

but If the stain is dried it becomes permanent :S so maybe you have to use detergent with a hard brush (don't use chemical solvents, they may damage the rug)

I got some of the stuff out but not all. Damn. This is not the first mishap I've had with paint and rugs. It's an occupational hazard. I used to work on concrete, but it wasn't safe because it was too close to a gas heater and this made my parents very uptight. So I had to move operations to a safer but less secure location, if that makes any sense. Now I've had two paint/rug mishaps. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Sorry verte! I got acrylic paint on my clothes in art class and it dried...but I DID get it out. Don't remember what I used though....usually felsnap (sp?) soap.

Muggsy said:
that's part of the craft... you have to see my studio :D

Maybe we just need a jokewriter, just to write jokes about our paint stains, messes, disasters, etc, etc. We can use them as captions for pictures of our studios. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
*artists in search of jokewriter*
*must have appreciation of artistic license*
*must love the look of acrylic stains*

Come to think about it, the studio I go to work in used to be a gas station. The gas station was shut down, and the neighbors thought two businesswomen were nuts when they bought the thing because it was not the nicest looking building in the Whistlestop District. They said that's why they were buying it, they were turning it into an art studio. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
*beware of messy artists*
*beware of all artists because we're all messy*

Last edited:
:yikes: verte!

luckily i haven't had any serious misshaps with my paints. i usually use acrylics too.

i even managed to paint a huge star wars mural a while back that was 8 feet x 9 feet in my apartment and barely got a drop of paint on the carpet! i even surprised myself with that! that was hard to do cuz i had to fold the canvas up in sections to paint it cuz it was so big! lol!

i wish i had an art studio :sigh:

For what it's worth, Jackson Pollock would be proud! ;)

Simple Green. That stuff has saved my rear on many an occasion where acrylics are involved and I like it because it's not caustic and it's relatively cheap. I've even used it on dry stains - from white shirts to light rugs, and the stuff works. It comes concentrated and you can apply it straight to loosen the stain, but make sure after that you dilute the simple green or else the area will get sticky with a greenish tinge (keep watering and blotting if that happens, it'll go away.) If the pigment in the paint was really concentrated (reds and blacks... ugh) or if the stain is dry and still won't budge, then you may have to go to step 2 - get that oxy clean stuff. You can get the powder or the spray. I prefer the powder because it lasts longer and like simple green, is not caustic and has a lot of uses around the house.

Hope all goes well

Maybe ring your art supplier verte and ask for something that can chemically (without destroying your rug) break down the pigment and plastic in the paint. I have a bottle of some stuff by Windsor and Newton which does this, but I cant remember the name of it (it's also packed away so I can't go find it), and don't know if you have their products in America.

Good luck!
:huh:

Look for a product called "Goof off" at a local hardware store or commercial paint store.
It is made to remove dried latex paints.
Follow the instructions on the label.

nbcrusader said:
Paint the rest of the rug :wink:

Hey, I was thinking of that. The color I had the accident with is a really intense fuscia color!! Yikes! I was mixing it with a rose to get this nice pinkish tint. At the rate I'm going I'll have an interesting looking rug. It's not really *my* studio. My mother's an artist also and we use the same studio. She does her batiks in there.

The art of removal......

I use acrylics a lot. Most of the small (not on a rug) messes I make come off by soaking in a gentle soap and warm water solution and brushing it to loosen the particles. I prefer to set my easel up over the tile though, cleans easier with a scrubbiesponge...lol. Acrylics are water based and will soften if you soak them for a while, even if dried on. Don't start soaking in paint removers that they would use on brushes to remove acrylics though, if you have an acrylic yarn rug it will melt it. I don't usually keep them around because they are also known to be flammable. I did find out the other day after my brother washed my new yellow towel with a pink highlighter marker that oxyclean in the soap and water removed all of the pink residue and not the pretty light yellow color of the towel.
Fels-Naptha is an eye and skin irritant but stronger at removing grime and stains than lava > Keep Out Of Reach Of Children.

Back
Top Bottom