Outkast's comment regarding U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Okay, Outkast says of U2 "they'll probably win album of the year, because they are at the end of their rope." Do you think that this is the height of their career, and after this, it'll all be downhill? What do you think the future of the band is? Bono's voice isn't getting any better, and they aren't getting any younger. What do you all think will happen?

I remember in the Pop days, most thought U2's commercial success was behind them, but look at them now. What is everyone's prediction of the greatest band in the world?

I realize that this is a forum for things non-U2 related, but this is the only forum people ever go to anymore.

hahaha on all accounts

(including the "I realize that this is a forum for things non-U2 related, but this is the only forum people ever go to anymore." remark)

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

oh well, as if this topic isnt discussed every week
icon23.gif

Just search the forums and you'll find threads a plenty about bono & the boys selling out bla bla bla
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Salome:
(including the "I realize that this is a forum for things non-U2 related, but this is the only forum people ever go to anymore." remark)

at first i didn't think that was the funniest part but now i do
wink.gif

All right, since I know this question has een posed before and I never said anything because I mostly lurk about on the forums, I'll just add in my 2 cents.

I don't agree with Outkast's statement, however I can see where they are coming from even if what they did say seemed tinted with a tad of jealousy.
wink.gif
People that don't closely follow U2 may have a different view of their career, where they are headed, when they are supposedly going to throw in the towel. I remember people saying U2 were washed up with the release of POP, labelling the record as mediocre, and labelling the band as has-beens. This is all fine - they're opinions and they are welcome to them.

I also remember people saying the same thing after the release of the Rattle and Hum movie and record.

I even remember far back to the October days when people said U2 wouldn't last.

I remember people saying during the Joshua Tree days that that moment in time was the pinnacle of their career and that no matter what, they would never achieve that grand status every again.

I also remember how wildly successful Achtung Baby was, and how the greatest band of the 80's were able to hold their ground in the early part of the 90's.

How wrong everyone was, to make these wild predictions about U2 - but take into consideration that these opinions are based on a band who is in the public eye, even inbetween records and tours. A band of U2's magnitude is up for public speculation and obviously people are going to draw their own conclusions.

One thing U2 has always done that has made me respect them all these years is they keep coming back and surprising everyone. ATYCLB is proof of that. Even though I love U2 and have seen them grow and grow over the years, I was skeptical of how well their latest record was going to be perceived. Were people going to knock U2 down for being old has-beens? Was their tour going to be more successful than the POP tour? Are people going to think U2 lost the old spark they had from the Joshua Tree and Achtung days? How wrong I was to even be skeptical of their success - U2 proved me, and countless other people no doubt, wrong. They keep plugging away making the music they want to make, and they do it successfully and they please their fans and make some new fans along the way. I know one day the band probably will throw in the towel, as all good things come to an end eventually. But right now with the success they had with ATYCLB, from a musical standpoint they must feel inspired to keep plugging along and making music. I don't think it's appropriate to start speculating the end of U2's career just yet.

smile.gif

Originally posted by The_acrobat:
Okay, Outkast says of U2 "they'll probably win album of the year, because they are at the end of their rope." Do you think that this is the height of their career, and after this, it'll all be downhill? What do you think the future of the band is? Bono's voice isn't getting any better, and they aren't getting any younger. What do you all think will happen?

I remember in the Pop days, most thought U2's commercial success was behind them, but look at them now. What is everyone's prediction of the greatest band in the world?

I realize that this is a forum for things non-U2 related, but this is the only forum people ever go to anymore.

No..

I think U2 will continue to have commercial success. Age has nothing to do with it. Who says you can't make your best music 20 or more years into your musical career? And if not best music, still, good music. Bob Dylan and Aerosmith (although I can't exactly say they are as good musically, they are still around, and lapping up the commercial success they get) are good examples.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

I hope U2 win album of the year. But Stankonia is probably a better album, you can't really fault Outkast for being upset if they don't win. But really, who cares? It's just the Grammys, Celine Dion won album of the year a few years ago. So it isn't really as prestigous as everybody pretends it is.

------------------
Mess with any of my hoes and I'll cut you.
I likes the jewelery.
I got's to impress the bitches.
Got's to carry lots of cash to bail out the hoes.
- Pimbot 5000

OK yeah, I feel Outkast. They aren't U2 fans, so they don't know what they're talking about. And it must be a damn shame to realease an album as great as Stankonia, and have to be up against ATYCLB. But again, they're not fans and U think U2's gonna do just fine till they decide they're done. But I mean come on, Outkast are the type of people make the club get crunk. I don't hate the player, I hate the game.

------------------
Keepin it krunk...

There's only room for one and here she comes, here she comes...

At the end of the day, U2 will last longer than OutKast, and perhaps OutKast know that.

I see where they are coming from - and no, Stankonia is not a better album than ATYCLB.

It's a fabulous and ground-breaking hip-hop record, so perhaps - it's more ground-breaking than ATYCLB.

In terms of the quality when comparing both albums, there is no comparison. Those albums stand worlds apart - and although OutKast is my favorite hip-hop act, if they are going to make public statements about acts such as U2, I think they should perhaps get their head out of their musical ghetto and learn about all kinds of music - not just the ones that are products of their neighborhood, culture or clique.

Thank goodness Missy Elliot, as influential and respected as she is in the hip-hop community gives "props" to rock, etc. Same with the Neptunes, and same with Timbaland. Intelligent hip-hop acts such as OutKast need to forge more of a communal vibe with all kinds of music - if they preach "diversity" they should at least live by that credo.

*sigh*

------------------
I'm only asking, but I think you know.

"This is so bad it's gone way past good and back to bad again." - Enid, Ghost World.

Outkast will be lucky to have 1/10th the success of U2.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Yes. Stankonia is better than ATYCLB.

In my mind, its not even debatable. The level of brilliance on Stankonia is phenomenal, and ATYCLB just cant hold a candle to it.

I love ATYCLB, but Stankonia is just THAT GOOD.

And OutKast not getting its head out of its musical ghetto??

OK. Whatever. OutKast is by far the freshest sounding, most profound hip-hop group out there now, expanding their genre by leaps and bounds. Their albums show this diversity. Live guitars. Influences from funk, jazz, rock, just to name a few.

I think Big Boi was just referring to the age of U2. Come on. It is really hard to see how much farther U2 can go at this point in their lives. We all know theres still magic there, but to everyone else, it might not be that obvious.

[This message has been edited by UCLAforU2 (edited 02-25-2002).]

Originally posted by UCLAforU2:
Yes. Stankonia is better than ATYCLB.

In my mind, its not even debatable. The level of brilliance on Stankonia is phenomenal, and ATYCLB just cant hold a candle to it.

I love ATYCLB, but Stankonia is just THAT GOOD.

OK. Whatever. OutKast is by far the freshest sounding, most profound hip-hop group out there now, expanding their genre by leaps and bounds. Their albums show this diversity. Live guitars. Influences from funk, jazz, rock, just to name a few.

I think Big Boi was just referring to the age of U2. Come on. It is really hard to see how much farther U2 can go at this point in their lives. We all know theres still magic there, but to everyone else, it might not be that obvious.

[This message has been edited by UCLAforU2 (edited 02-25-2002).]

You make some good points...

However,
U2 is on their 3rd! High Point with JT and AB being their first two....this is Outkast 1st high point and he will be lucky to have another(although he is the most original of his genre)....remeber, the music industry is an industry full of big egos(Bono's may be the biggest!!), jealousy, bitterness, etc...and I think that Outkast got ahead of himself here...but he will probably be right....if some of us U2 fans don't like these comments that other artists are making b4 the grammy's, wait til you here what the jealous bastards are gonna say AFTER U2 has a good night.....

MBH:

Not to nitpick, but Outkast is a "they," not a "he." Specifically, Outkast is two hip-hoppers, Dre 3000 and Big Boi. So they're basically a two-man group, in the fine tradition of Hall & Oates, Wham, and Savage Garden.
biggrin.gif

(Kidding, of course.)

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 02-27-2002).]

You just said exactly what I was gonna say.

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
So they're basically a two-man group, in the fine tradition of Hall & Oates, Wham, and Savage Garden.
biggrin.gif

(Kidding, of course.)

are you trying to imply that hall and oates, wham, and savage garden are not good musicians?
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

When I picture "at the end of their rope", I picture steadily decreasing album sales, low concert attendance, etc, etc.

All U2 has done in the last 18 months or so is put out a commercially AND critically successful album, and put on one of the most lucrative tours in history.

That doesn't sound like a band at the end of their rope.

They'll win album of the year on it's own merit.

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
MBH:

Not to nitpick, but Outkast is a "they," not a "he." Specifically, Outkast is two hip-hoppers, Dre 3000 and Big Boi.

Hahaha.. Seriously.. I'd also include the other 30 names they each Have.. Daddy Phat Sac being one of them...

Anywayz, I know this is a Stankonia vs ATYCLB Thread, but I think that debate has had it's day.. But if you really want to hear the best of Outkast, You've gotta pick up their first album... 'Southernplayalistic..'

It's mos defly their best work.

L.Unplugged

regardless of Outkast's comments,

I think Outkast should have won. Well, I think PJ Harvey should have won, but she wasn't nominated.

U2's album was good, but OUTKAST was better. I think U2 won because of sentamentalism(however it's spelled). It's the same reason Clapton won over Achtung Baby when AB was far and away the better album. And since the grammys don't mean anything anyways, I really don't care.

------------------

Same Old Story

Well after their grammy performance *the guy wearing a pink jumpsuit lookin' dress and a silk ladies shirt* I'd have to assume that any artist that goes to those extremes to be womanly is at the end of their rope. And my Outkast seems to have been at the end of their rope from the very beginning in this case.

------------------
I will sing, sing a new song.
How long to sing this song?

Fengche@aol.com

[This message has been edited by PrincessBadgirl (edited 03-03-2002).]

lol, Princess Badgirl...
OutKast at the end of their rope???

They are only the most creative and freshest-sounding act to come out of hip-hop in the past 5 years. Theyve advanced the genre leaps and bounds, and Stankonia is considered by many to be an instant classic.

In addition, that remark is funny, since if you took into consideration the Macphisto character of ZooTV. Were U2 at the end of their rope then?

lol, Princess Badgirl...
OutKast at the end of their rope???

They are only the most creative and freshest-sounding act to come out of hip-hop in the past 5 years. Theyve advanced the genre leaps and bounds, and Stankonia is considered by many to be an instant classic.

In addition, that remark is funny, since if you took into consideration the Macphisto character of ZooTV. Were U2 at the end of their rope then?

I dunno maybe they were but that was an act I have a feelin' this guy isn't acting and if he is what's the name of these characters he's pulling out of a hat?? ... but that still doesn't make outkast any more innocent in this case- they're still a new act so talking stuff about veterans in the music biz doesn't make them appear any smarter than the average fast talkers no matter if their album is classic stuff or not. Why don't they say things like that about other artists like rappers? ... I bet they think twice.

I'm just tired of people jumping on U2 about things that really don't concern them. Seems like the most unsuspecting of artists have things to say about U2- who's next Vanilla Ice talking about how Bono's old now???

------------------
I will sing, sing a new song.
How long to sing this song?

Fengche@aol.com

[This message has been edited by PrincessBadgirl (edited 03-03-2002).]

Originally posted by PrincessBadgirl:
but that still doesn't make outkast any more innocent in this case- they're still a new act so talking stuff about veterans in the music biz doesn't make them appear any smarter than the average fast talkers no matter if their album is classic stuff or not.

Uhh... Outkast.. 'A New Act'?... 'In the Past 5 Years'... *SigH*.. Outkast has been hot in the Hip Hop world since 1994, and no .. this is not just the underground Hip Hop world.. Mainstream.. and they've been big since 1995 with ATLiens.. But these guys are not 'new' in any sense of the word.. I bet you think Rosa Parks came from their First album... Rephrased... Rosa Parks was from their first album.. Actually it was their Third Album.. and Stankonia was their Fourth..

They can talk if they want to.. Anyways, I'd check their first two albums out as you've apparently been lost to their existence.. They're the classic stuff that Stankonia and Gasoline Dreams was built off of.

If all you know of them is Rosa Parks, and Mrs. Jackson, and you like those.. You've got soo many surprises.. It's like a U2 Fan sitting on the Pop album and saying 'OMG this is Great' having no idea of the revolutionary shit that is there waiting from U2.

L.Unplugged

lol lemonite, sorry, i still have issues counting my years since 2000, your right, its more than 5 years. Im an ass
biggrin.gif
Actually, I own everything back to Southernplayalisticcadilacmusic (phenomenal debut album), so its not that i dont know how old they are
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by UCLAforU2 (edited 03-03-2002).]

Originally posted by Lemonite:
Uhh... Outkast.. 'A New Act'?... 'In the Past 5 Years'... *SigH*.. Outkast has been hot in the Hip Hop world since 1994, and no .. this is not just the underground Hip Hop world.. Mainstream.. and they've been big since 1995 with ATLiens.. But these guys are not 'new' in any sense of the word.. I bet you think Rosa Parks came from their First album... Rephrased... Rosa Parks was from their first album.. Actually it was their Third Album.. and Stankonia was their Fourth..

They can talk if they want to.. Anyways, I'd check their first two albums out as you've apparently been lost to their existence.. They're the classic stuff that Stankonia and Gasoline Dreams was built off of.

If all you know of them is Rosa Parks, and Mrs. Jackson, and you like those.. You've got soo many surprises.. It's like a U2 Fan sitting on the Pop album and saying 'OMG this is Great' having no idea of the revolutionary shit that is there waiting from U2.

L.Unplugged

Exacto-mundo. You said it perfectly, and I liked your Pop analogy - it puts it all in perspective...

Back
Top Bottom