OUTKAST (if you don't like rap just because it's rap, don't read)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hermes

Acrobat
I know some people bare grudges that Outkast outsold U2 on the first week, but this group is amazing.

I got the new Stankonia album and it is incredible. Along with Jurrassic 5 they are taking Rap into new directions. Unlike Jurrassic 5 who are updating old school styles, OUTKAST has found the Funk Clinton style(george that is) complete with interludes. But it's not a return to the past, it's plunging straight forward. The lyrics fromt he two are smart and intelligent, and hilarious when they want to be. Check out thier miss JAckson video which is funny and innovative and somehow touching. The ending is a perfect segueway into U2's Beautiful day video.

If you like rap, or want to check out some new rap, Jurassic 5 should be your first purchase, Outkast should be your second.

PS I also finally got Pj Harvey's new album, gawddamn it is amazing, just amazing...wow.

------------------
for there are brighter sides to life,
And I should know because I've seen them,
But not very often...

oh i agree, outkast is a wondeful group and i didn't mind how they beat U2 cause they are actually really good. People have this perception of rap but i think they should listen first and judge.

~rougerum

I agree that miss jackson is a really good song. but does anyone remember that 80's song by rockafeller(or something like that) called Somebodys Watching Me? for some reason it reminds me of that. I'm pretty open to most kinds of music. i just saw limp bizkit and eminem play at the Skydome a couple of months ago. i usually dont listen to that stuff, but the concert was REALLY good. I'm gonna check out some other Outkast songs on napster. any suggestions?? and not Bombs over Bagdad, I cant stand it

Outkast strikes me as posers. I got the album a couple of weeks ago, and listened to it twice.

I think that they're another manufactured rap act, trying to hard to sound like de la soul and wyclef.

If you want a real, new & good rap album check out de la's art official intellegence.

------------------
Come on, come on! Be good to me...

I haven't heard a whole lot of Outkast, but what I did hear was really really good. I think Jurassic 5 'Quality Control' is an excellent example of hip-hop/rap and should not be overlooked as one of the better releases of 2000. Sensible lyrics and consistant flow are trademarks of that record. I would love to see them live, as I've heard nothing but good things about their performance.

No way am I mad that Otkast outsold U2! Better to have music that embodies a bit more integrity and talent high on the charts than some of the boyband fodder that plagues the airwaves. The Billboard charts are no more of an indication as to what people are spending their money on, and how many times a dj is putting that song on the radio. However the Billboard charts are a good indication of what people are *listening* to, and the fewer boy bands and Aguilera's, the better.

The people that are baring grudges are doing so for the wrong reasons imo. It's petty. U2 have spent their time on the charts during the past couple of decades - that's a feat in itself as most bands either burn out or fade from the public eye. Who cares if U2 aren't number one on the Billboards? They obviously have a strong and loyal fanbase that will take care of them. I like U2 and that's all that matters. They will always hold a top spot for me.

Peace,
w

Heard it today for the first time. Loved it. Also like Mystikal's Shake Your Ass. I don't know if he's a 'serious' rapper or more 'pop/commercial' but I like it, although I'm sure this will only be for a while. In fact I haven't actually heard the song sober, so I might hate it.

I've finally heard Outkasts new song, Miss Jackson, and I really didnt like it. I found it too repitive. How many times do we need the chorus, I thought it was cool the first few times I heard it, but the whole song goes on forever, and I just got so tired of it. And that's what I hate about rap, some of the songs are decent, but they need to learn to cut it shorter, every rap song that I hear just goes on and on, and after a while, I just zone it all out.

------------------
Youth is wasted on the young.....well then....
Life is wasted on the living!
Joey Joe Joe Junior Schoobaloob

Back
Top Bottom