Our Lady Peace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BabyGrace

Refugee
I really, really, really like the songs I've heard on the radio, unfortunately I can't seem to find anyone who has their cd's
frown.gif

I'd like to go to their concert in June, since they're coming really close to me and tix are mad cheap, are their any fans here that can tell me more about them??

Hey Nikkibabe!
I think you'll find thats another thing you have in common with The WonderBra.
Ladywiththespinninghead likes them too I believe.
Damn, your name is a bugger to type out, Julie.

Ive heard a few of their tracks. Have fun at the gig if you go!

good canadian band who are great in the studio but from my 1 experience live, i did not enjoy them.
i saw them at my campus bar probably 2 years ago this september and did not like their live sound.
just 1 experience though. check out 'spiritual machines', 'happiness is not a fish you can catch'(i think that's what it is called) and the disc with naveed on it, can't remember the title.

ooh yay I found someone with Clumsy (that was the name of their second album right?), so hopefully I will burn that in the near future.

Thanks for your input Koba, hopefully it was just one night cos I'm gonna go anyway (if I can get tix this time!
rolleyes.gif
) And thanks Manda! maybe one of them will drop by.

bono-vox, I'm not sure cos I never saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but there's an old dude holding a fish on the cover of Happiness Is Not A Fish You Can Catch.

anyways, sorry I always ask you guys about bands, it's just the websites don't really give me opinions. thanks!

wtf koby????
confused.gif
what about their sound did you not like? maybe the sound system was bad, that's all I can think of, because the live recordings of them I've heard are great...

and I saw OLP at a club in DC last summer and was blown away! great sound, great performance, the crowd knew every word to every song, and the band has a great appreciation of their fans, it was one of my favorite concerts experiences

I will certainly be going to see them again!

If it's cheap and you like their songs it might be worth checking out. But when I went it was a disaster. The sound was muddy and confused, yet this was a venue where I have heard the best acoustics of my concert going experiences. A venue I've had experience playing around in and there is no excuse for muddy sound. They didn't seem to be trying to change anything either and the opening band was fine.

I could have excused this, but the band was very lackluster in stage presence. I felt doubly ripped off.

It may have been an off night, but they didn't seem to try to make things better.

They're a great band. I like their new single, Somewhere Out There.

Albums:
Naveed
Clumsy
Happiness is not a Fish that You Can Catch
Spiritual Machines
Gravity (out June '02)

[img[
Originally posted by BabyGrace:
I really, really, really like the songs I've heard on the radio, unfortunately I can't seem to find anyone who has their cd's
frown.gif

I'd like to go to their concert in June, since they're coming really close to me and tix are mad cheap, are their any fans here that can tell me more about them??

Pretty cool.. a band I like but don't usually go out of my way to listen too.. you don't really have to up in Canadaland because they're reallly popular up here. i know a few people who've seen 'em live and haven't heard bad things, like unforgettablefoxfire.. perhaps he'll pop around and give the lowdown, i'm pretty sure he enjoyed ot

Originally posted by SkeeK:
Pretty cool.. a band I like but don't usually go out of my way to listen too.. you don't really have to up in Canadaland because they're reallly popular up here. i know a few people who've seen 'em live and haven't heard bad things, like unforgettablefoxfire.. perhaps he'll pop around and give the lowdown, i'm pretty sure he enjoyed ot

SkeeK said unto the masses, unforgettablefoxfire shall pop around and give the lowdown... and it was so...

Alrightieo! I went to see OLP at the western fair here in london this year, opening band Joydrop (also worth checking out imho).

Now, tracks they played throughout the course of the concert:

Right Behind You
In Repair
Life
Are You Sad
(all off of spiritual machines)

Whatever
(Chris Benoit Theme - WWF Forceable Entry),

One Man Army
Is Anybody Home
Theif
(all from Happiness Is Not A Fish That You Can Catch)

Superman's Dead
Automatic Flowers
Clumsy
4 a.m.
(All from Clumsy)

Starseed
Naveed
Supersattelite
(All from Naveed)

Mkay, I think thats what they played, not in that order of course. It was pretty cool to hear Whatever, since that track wasnt released until Forceable Entry hit stores sometime around March-ish, and since this concert was last September... *thumbs up*

Now then, the sound was certainly not muddy in any way, and Ive been to a show or two at the Grandstand @ the fairgrounds before and the sound quality Ive heard before was less than great... But it was certainly good. My only greivance were the video screens, since this was outdoors for the most part, it didnt get dark until maybe 1/3 of the way through the show, so they were nigh impossible to see while there was still light outside. But I mean sound was good, and the setlist was pretty damn cool since it was most of my favorite songs... I think there were a couple from naveed that i missed, but I dont have that album, so I hadnt really heard them before, but even that in itself is pretty cool, hearing new stuff, even if its not new-new.

Now then, if we want to talk albums... Get all of them. LOL... seriously though. Naveed is a lot of people's favorite album, not mine, but some people like the sound, its a bit different then the rest of their stuff, plus its got some sweet songs on it, and its where the whole thing began, so its got that classic value too.

Clumsy, a great album, this is the one that made them famous. Great alternative rock on here, pretty cool stuff.

Happiness is not a fish that you can catch, its pretty cool, it experiments around from their past stuff, all the songs are good, its solid from begining to end, but the only real mentionables are One Man Army and Theif.

Spiritual Machines, this album is, without a doubt, probably their best. Its themed around a book (the title of which escapes me), and it has a good flow to it sofaras which song leads into the next and all that, the songs are all great, there are so many worth mentioning, pretty much the whole album. If you pick up any one of the albums, you should probably get this one, although clumsy is a good pick as well. Im by no means saying not to buy Naveed or Happiness, its just that overall I feel Clumsy and SM are better albums and there is more on those that you would enjoy.

So sayeth the Fox.

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:

Spiritual Machines, this album is, without a doubt, probably their best. Its themed around a book (the title of which escapes me)

The book is called "The Age of Spritual Machines: When Computers Exceed Human Intelligence", by Ray Kurzweil, who invented some keyboards and also the first optical scanner.

wow thanks so much guys!! I am definitely gonna go get tickets because it sounds like some of you have really good reviews and maybe the others were just unfortunately bad nights. And concerts are fun no matter what anyway
biggrin.gif

now hopefully I can get their CDs too so I don't seem like a total loser there
wink.gif

anyway, thanks again all, seems like they're are definitely as good a band as I thought they were.

Some good OLP sites...
www.ourladypeace.com www.ourladypeace.cc www.clumsymonkey.net

wow thanks so much guys!! I am definitely gonna go get tickets because it sounds like some of you have really good reviews and maybe the others were just unfortunately bad nights. And concerts are fun no matter what anyway
biggrin.gif

now hopefully I can get their CDs too so I don't seem like a total loser there
wink.gif

anyway, thanks again all, seems like they're are definitely as good a band as I thought they were.

WEll, I can't out-do what Fox fire said, but here's my 2cents...

My favouite songs are Life, Clumsy, Starseed, Julia. And anything off Happiness is Not a Fish that you can Catch. It's a brilliant CD. I honestly love evry song off of there.

Unfortunately, I've never seen them live. From what I've heard, it can be on or off, as far as Raine's singing goes. But they always promise a rocking time. It's worth getting tix if you can.

Sorry bout the rushed response, but I gotta go...I'm so happy there's other OLP fans out there!

our lady peace are a great band

i have seen them 3 times in the past and i'm seeing them again at the end of june.

my fav album of there's would definately be clumsy

i would recommend seeing them live....it's not the best concert you'll ever see but it's definately worth the price of admission

i'm also curious about who the new guitarist is.

yay!! well it is official, I will be seeing them June 6 at the something or other niteclub in NJ. are you going to the one in NY Sweet Tart? that's the only one I saw after the date I'm going.

I'm glad there are some OLP fans out there too Sweetest Thing!!
biggrin.gif

and thanks a lot senrab
tongue.gif

*is very excited about this concert, be it good or bad

i think what bugged me the most, was the spiritual machines album...

i mean even critics caught on that this was an offshoot album of ok computer.

but since i dont even have that album, and have only heard the singles, i cant really say if i feel that way or not.

i have a feeling this gravity album will be pretty good.

------------------
after years of waiting, nothing came.

[This message has been edited by Zoomerang96 (edited 05-14-2002).]

BabyGrace:

Here is a stream of OLP's latest single....

Windows Media
Lo-Fi http://www.sonymusic.com/clips/selection/fu/OurLadyPeace/OurLadyPeace_SomewhereOutThere_full_28.asx

Med-Fi http://www.sonymusic.com/clips/selection/fu/OurLadyPeace/OurLadyPeace_SomewhereOutThere_full_56.asx

Hi-Fi http://www.sonymusic.com/clips/selection/fu/OurLadyPeace/OurLadyPeace_SomewhereOutThere_full_100.asx

Real Audio http://www.sonymusic.com/clips/selection/fu/OurLadyPeace/OurLadyPeace_SomewhereOutThere_full.ram

yay!! well it is official, I will be seeing them June 6 at the something or other niteclub in NJ. are you going to the one in NY Sweet Tart? that's the only one I saw after the date I'm going.

I'm glad there are some OLP fans out there too Sweetest Thing!!
biggrin.gif

and thanks a lot senrab
tongue.gif

*is very excited about this concert, be it good or bad

BG - please let us know when you go! I'd love to hear how it went!

Any Canadians planning to see the ONLY ONTARIO show this summer? (Sarnia - Bayfest - July 11)

FOXfire - you going?

I'm in love with the new single....

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 05-25-2002).]

sheesh I really had to dig this thread up. I am going tomorrow, Sweetest_Thing!! can't wait

thanks for the links senrab :)

and bear, I am curious what you mean about the radiohead thing since I know no radiohead (except for 2 songs from mtv2---the one with the under-the-ocean video, and the one with the people walking in the street). other people have mentioned what you say as well tho, what is it they tried to copy?

Back
Top Bottom