Ouch! (A tribute to those thousands of random injuries)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
I was thinking about all the weird random injuries I've had over the years, and I was curious as to if anyone is as accident prone as I am/was...

My best:

Rollerblading last year down this big, long hill. It wasn't steep, just long. Toward the end, I picked up a fair bit of speed and so (seeing as how I don't know how to stop and those rollerblading little brakes do nothing) I skated onto the grass....unfortunately, anyone who has bladed before knows that skating onto grass makes you trip...so I grabbed onto a pole to prevent myself from falling (into the mud). The only problem was that the pole was made of concrete, resulting in a veeeeerrrrrry nice gash (several in fact)from wrist to elbow (on the inside of my arm). I skated like that for about another hour and a half and then went to student services, just as they were closing. I showed my injury to the receptionist who was like, 'Oh! Oh...dear...okay...you just...sit...and I'll....oh, sit...take off your rollerblades...oh no...I don't ....oh, help...oh" :) She had NO idea what to do.
I wore a bandage for like, a month or so. Not fun.

2nd runner up: Spilling boiling hot tea on my legs as a child (I was so stupid, trying to lay down while holding the mug of tea. 2nd degree burns, niiice.

For the record, I am since scar-free. :shrug: :) Thank goodness.

1991 was a year full of accidents for me.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day-- A razor blade shot up my eye. ... You know those x-acto knifes where it's chippable so that you can use a new fresh blade?... Well, on that day, I realized that I could chip a blade off... So I placed a blade at the edge of the table and snapped it... Not thinking about the fragment that may fly out and hit my right eye... My hard lenses contacts broke out onto the table into thousands of pieces.... Went to the emergency, and wore an eye patch for a few weeks... Lucky for my hard lenses contacts... I only got my cornea scratched... and no major damage to my eyee... but :censored: did it hurt!!

Fall 1991... BICYCLE--- Fell off a bike when I was going so fast... I was afraid to hit a speed bump at that speed.... that I braked ON the speed bump... and I *endo*-ed (bike terms, bike flips completely forward)... hit my jaw, broke my right wrist, and tore out a piece of flesh next to my right elbow.

Fall 1991... ROLLERBLADING--- Rollerblading in school... and was really bad at it... when I had to go down a small steep hill, no higher than 4 feet ... just so I can get out of the school campus.. I couldn't stop rolling down the hill safely... that i broke my wrist *AGAIN* and hit my jaw (that's how I got two scars under my chin like Bono ;) )... man, my head hurt for weeks...

And, um, yeah that's about it. :uhoh:

I don't remember which came first... the bike accident or the rollerbladning

10 years ago I was spending the weekend in the mountains and since I don't ski, we went to a place where you could go down the smaller hills on an inner-tube or a sled. There was a rope that would tow you up to the top on your inner tube... kind of like a ski lift. The rope was constantly moving and you were supposed to sit down and grab on. There was a guy at the start making sure you had the right kind of gloves on and he said mine were okay but as soon as I grabbed on I knew he was wrong. My gloves were burned away and I lost all the skin on both of my palms. I started to panic and then my hair started getting caught around the rope. I was screaming bloody murder but I still held on till it got to the top. I tried to just bandage my hands but later that night I noticed bright red lines running up both arms and knew it was an infection so I ended up spending the rest of my vacation in the hospital hooked up to IV antibiotics. :(

theSoulfulMofo said:

A razor blade shot up my eye.

*shivers and gets nauseous* :sick: :no:

A few months ago I was carelessly and impatiently opening a box with a pair of scissors, jammed the scissors into my thumb and was bleeding like a mofo. Had to get it stitched up.

I have a couple of old scars from surfing. In one case, the nose of my surfboard shot through my wetsuit and into the area just above my kneecap. I should have had it stitched, but I just figured I'd let it scab up and heal. The scar isn't bad, though.

The other surfing injury: the fin on my friend's board shot into the bottom of my foot. I got out of the water, looked at the gash, proceeded to step in black tar on the beach which mixed nicely with the sand that also smushed into the gash. The doctor had to stick a needle into the cut and then dig the tar and sand out. I screamed like a little bitch.

I just posted a couple in a different forum the other day.

This has happenend twice...so I can't say "one time"...;) I had to run back into the garage for something, so I hit the button on the garage door opener and ran towards the garage. I ducked my head under, since the door wasn't all the way up yet...but I didn't duck down far enough. I smucked my forehead onto the bottom edge of the door, and I fell on my ass (the second time I did it, I landed in a puddle). :laugh: I had an ugly bump on my forehead from that one. :der:

Then there was one time when I was in 5th grade. Dad was doing work on the front porch, so he pulled it away from the house. I went tearin' out the front door with the model boat I had built in one hand and a pair of scissors in the other (I had wanted to show him my project...and I just hadn't taken the time to set my scissors down). I fell down onto the cement and stabbed myself with the scissors. Plus...I damaged my boat. :(

I've had lots of stupid injuries...maybe I'll post some more later! :D :wave:

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

You surf?

How long have you been doing that?

I just started learning... and can't wait to go again!!

Though I've only started and went once, a month ago.

Oh...here's a good one...:der:

Our pool had sprung a leak, and there was only about 3 inches of water left in it. Dad helped my sister and I in it to help him work on some stuff. I ended up slippin', and I fell backwards, landin' my arse down on my hand...and my wrist got sprained from that. :huh: :laugh:

Bonochick said:

This has happenend twice...so I can't say "one time"...;) I had to run back into the garage for something, so I hit the button on the garage door opener and ran towards the garage. I ducked my head under, since the door wasn't all the way up yet...but I didn't duck down far enough. I smucked my forehead onto the bottom edge of the door, and I fell on my ass (the second time I did it, I landed in a puddle). :laugh: I had an ugly bump on my forehead from that one. :der:

:lmao: THIS HAPPENED TO MY BROTHER!!!!! :lmao:

my stories:

when i was really little, i dont remember this happening, but apparently, i ran into the corner part of a wall, and have a scar on my forehead to prove it. another time when i was in gr 5, we were on a class trip somewhere in the forest and there was this cave and i decided to climb in it and i banged my head against the side of the cave wall. ouch. :|

Last edited:
Bonochick said:

I went tearin' out the front door with the model boat I had built in one hand and a pair of scissors in the other... I fell down onto the cement and stabbed myself with the scissors.

See, and I bet your mom told you to never run with scissors in your hand. :shame:

:lol: :p

When my brother was a year old he was in his playpen and climbed on top of a toy so that he could get out. Instead, he flipped over the wall of the pen and got his 5 bottom front teeth caught in the netting. They had to rush him to emergency and pull all those teeth out. I was jealous cause he got gifts from all our relatives (I was like, 4 or 5 at the time)....

I've always wanted to surf..*looks outside at the snow* It may never happen....

ooh, and BAW - I know the type of lift you're talking about... I can't believe your gloves got burned off! That's so strange, I've never heard of that happening before to anyone...although I know many many people who've fallen off the lift before.

once, when i was young and stupid, i slammed the car door on my knee once, it caught my skin and it bled like hell:|

ooh, and BAW - I know the type of lift you're talking about... I can't believe your gloves got burned off! That's so strange, I've never heard of that happening before to anyone...although I know many many people who've fallen off the lift before. [/B]

From what I learned later, the rope was going way too fast and it was the friction that ate my gloves away...my stepdaughter was behind me and burned one of her hands too but not as bad as mine.

I'm full of dumb accidents

I don't remember how old I was 9 or 10, but I had my fingers shut in a car door. Not just any car door, but one of those brady bunch station wagons were the doors weigh a million pounds. No one noticed at first until I started screaming.

In first grade we were playing jump over the little wooden fence and my shin landed right on it...they were worried it was broken.

In college while working in crappy fast food, they had just mopped the kitchen floor and I slipped and my left arm came down on a rack that holds the buns. These things have these dull spikey things on them and I had big bruises up and down my arm.

Then about a couple of years ago I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, missteped and cracked my ankle into the door frame.

But I have never had a broken bone, or needed stitches, or been to a hospital for anything injury related.

stupidest injury ever: i was sewing a pillow with my friend (i was an odd child...) and i had my sewing scissors in my hand. i kneeled on the bed with my hands at my side, and proceeded to shift my weight to the side. so in essence, i stabbed myself in the side of the knee with a very sharp scissors. it went in almost an inch. :tsk:

i am soooooo accident prone...i've had so many stitches and scars...i can't even count them...

Last edited:
ignorance can be deadly...I've had a couple of gashes here and there..deep gash on my thumb when I was modelling with a scapel..even better that some of the modelling glue mixed into the wound which made it sting that much better...burnt my hand on a porcelain drying kiln while checking for cold spots..gave my head a little crack on your average park swing by losing my balance during my descent and falling back onto the support structure~which explains a little..fell through a shed roof trying to collect our stray football~almost covered myself in creosote on the way down...actually achieved that little gem a while later by covering myself in creosote round a friends house which was never my fault....the only feasible medically accepted way to remove the damn stuff being a little dash of petrol~followed by the longest bath known to man..not all wound orientated and not necessarily physical wounds..mental wounds certainly..and I never ever broke a single bone which I stay thankful..and never any eye related injuries which make me cringe as I read some of your stories :ohmy:

Let's see....

The most recent was about two years ago. I was rollerblading on a bikepath and thinking what a good skater I was! Right then, my front wheel got caught in a crumbly bit of asphalt and I went down. Of course, I wasn't wearing kneepads and I tore up both my knees, falling so hard on my right knee that it just turned black immediately and swelled up. It wasn't broken, just bruised bad. My knees are all scarred up--last time I went without kneepads.

A few yards away on the same bikepath, when I was a kid, I tore open the same knee when wading in the creek and have a big, jagged scar across it.

Broke my big toe tripping over some shoes and had to wear a knee-high cast for six weeks.

Broke my nose at Water World.

And that's not even getting into childhood--most notable of which are pulling a tv on myself as a young toddler and falling off a swing and cracking my head open at school. (The Nurse's Office: "She's consicous and not hurt that bad. Do you want her to stay and attend class?" I was pouring blood!)

Nice to read gruesome tales from others!
Elisabeth

hmmmmm let me think.......

my sister once dropped me upside down in our outside bin when I was little and I cracked my head and couldn't get out the bin

when I was about 7 I used to play elastics in the school playground (do you know elastics? where you make a big loop of elastic and stretch it out and jump on it - kinda like cats cradle with feet) I played too much and was jumping too high and got hairline fractures in my heels. I had to have crutches for ages

Also when I was little we were playing a game called traffic lights at school. When the teacher shouted 'red' we all had to sit down as quick as possible. I sat down really quickly, and my knee banged my chin and I bit through my tongue. It was hanging off by a small piece, and for weeks my party trick was to stick my tongue out and let it flop. Pretty gross.

about 2 months ago I was dancing in open toed sandals in a nightclub and I kicked a beer bottle out of my way from the dance floor. I didn't notice till I got home but I had split the whole end of my big toe open. Then 6 weeks later a huge chunk of glass fell out of my toe. Another bigger chunk fell out a week later. No wonder it hurt so much and wouldn't heal!

My best friends sister was playing netball and somebody was behind her when she jumped. she got a tooth embedded in her head.

Oh dear. I'm a bit accident prone.
:lol:

a bit? yeah...and u2 is a kind of good band...

bammo2 said:
Also when I was little we were playing a game called traffic lights at school. When the teacher shouted 'red' we all had to sit down as quick as possible. I sat down really quickly, and my knee banged my chin and I bit through my tongue. It was hanging off by a small piece, and for weeks my party trick was to stick my tongue out and let it flop. Pretty gross.

:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom