Oteha Valley Road, Tāmaki-makau-rau, Te Ika-a-Māui Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't entirely understand what "gaslighting" means.

I even read a lucid explanation of it this morning!

You explained gaslighting to me last year.

:lol:

But OK, what does persuading somebody that they didn't say/do something that they did (or vice versa) have to do with a light lit by gas? I think that's what makes me struggle to remember its meaning so much, that nothing in the term suggests its meaning to me.

:lol:

But OK, what does persuading somebody that they didn't say/do something that they did (or vice versa) have to do with a light lit by gas? I think that's what makes me struggle to remember its meaning so much, that nothing in the term suggests its meaning to me.

I remember it because it is so inexplicable.

At least that's what someone told me I did.

>plans to read over proofs of two journal articles
>also plans to have dinner before 7pm
~*~things happen~*~
>ends up working on a Best of 2016 playlist of songs

I remember it because it is so inexplicable.

At least that's what someone told me I did.

Do tell me, without any gaslighting, that there is at least a meaningful distinction between genuinely forgetting and manipulating people.

Because I've claimed to have (not) done a bunch of things only to later have evidence presented to the contrary, and I was as surprised as anyone.

I think I've seen less movies this decade than there have been years in the decade so far.

Not even deliberate. I just don't go to the films, and downloading them is a lot of effort.

Do tell me, without any gaslighting, that there is at least a meaningful distinction between genuinely forgetting and manipulating people.

Because I've claimed to have (not) done a bunch of things only to later have evidence presented to the contrary, and I was as surprised as anyone.

Because if you've fucked up (as we all have), that's fucking up.

If you tell someone and suggest proof that they fucked up, that's gaslighting them. As we're all prone to fucking up, it makes it easier to con someone into thinking that the lie you're presenting is real.

Have you ever told a stressed or overtired parent or boss (I have done BOTH SHIT) something on the hope they'd just believe you because they couldn't remember to get your way?

I think I've seen less movies this decade than there have been years in the decade so far.

Not even deliberate. I just don't go to the films, and downloading them is a lot of effort.

I've had a bit of time and money and company (even though I'm happy to do things alone!!) to go to movies.

I've got Sky Movies at my new place.

I've also had some Netflix and chill time.

Otherwise I'm like you. I'm just back because I've got the ability.

I've had a bit of time and money and company (even though I'm happy to do things alone!!) to go to movies.

I've got Sky Movies at my new place.

I've also had some Netflix and chill time.

Otherwise I'm like you. I'm just back because I've got the ability.

I suppose part of it is that movies just don't interest me that much anyway. When I watch an episode of an hour-long TV show I feel like I've lost a big chunk of my evening.

Of course I just spent much of this weekend sitting on the couch staring at the cricket...

I suppose part of it is that movies just don't interest me that much anyway. When I watch an episode of an hour-long TV show I feel like I've lost a big chunk of my evening.

Of course I just spent much of this weekend sitting on the couch staring at the cricket...

I like to find things to amuse me. Especially nostalgia.

That said, I guess my Rebel Alliance tattoo kinda sells me out. Whichever is the prominent colour used in the movie for the logo is the shading I'll use. BEFORE CHRISTMAS.

Because if you've fucked up (as we all have), that's fucking up.

If you tell someone and suggest proof that they fucked up, that's gaslighting them. As we're all prone to fucking up, it makes it easier to con someone into thinking that the lie you're presenting is real.

Have you ever told a stressed or overtired parent or boss (I have done BOTH SHIT) something on the hope they'd just believe you because they couldn't remember to get your way?

Oh yeah there are a couple of examples from my teenage years where I brazenly tried to present evidence that I absolutely had not done something everybody knew full well I had. I totally tried to screw over my best friend once by presenting him as the initiator of something when I was the ringleader. But I suppose that's also why I'm confused, because besides the metaphor making no sense to me, existing terms seem to work perfectly well. I was lying. And I blushed so much I got caught!

What does "gaslighting" describe that "lying" or "manipulating" don't already?

Fun fact: I've literally never watched Lost.

By the sounds of how big a letdown the ending was, I ought to be glad.

Oh yeah there are a couple of examples from my teenage years where I brazenly tried to present evidence that I absolutely had not done something everybody knew full well I had. I totally tried to screw over my best friend once by presenting him as the initiator of something when I was the ringleader. But I suppose that's also why I'm confused, because besides the metaphor making no sense to me, existing terms seem to work perfectly well. I was lying. And I blushed so much I got caught!

What does "gaslighting" describe that "lying" or "manipulating" don't already?

Because you already told me. WHY DON'T YOU BELIEVE ME?

It is lying and/or manipulating, but you're telling someone that they first told you it happened. Yeah there's a limited difference but I guess it depends on context.

What you did was lie. Poorly apparently :lol:. What you needed to do in order to gaslight him was convince him he was the ringleader. Then he would have confessed to it and you'd have just unfortunately been involved.

It's not the circumstances I gave in my earlier post, but it's the concept, as I understand it.

Because you already told me. WHY DON'T YOU BELIEVE ME?

It is lying and/or manipulating, but you're telling someone that they first told you it happened. Yeah there's a limited difference but I guess it depends on context.

What you did was lie. Poorly apparently :lol:. What you needed to do in order to gaslight him was convince him he was the ringleader. Then he would have confessed to it and you'd have just unfortunately been involved.

It's not the circumstances I gave in my earlier post, but it's the concept, as I understand it.

Right, gotcha. God, I feel like my PhD supervisor here: "It's a neologism! There's already a perfectly adequate term that expresses this clearly! Don't make up words!" (He is far too dignified to have ever written like that, but it's the gist.) I'm still proud I persuaded him of "omnishambles", an A+ neologism if there ever was one.

I hope my friend at JB is working tomorrow. I'm getting another Chromecast for my lounge TV, at cost....like my watch, my current Chromecast, my phone, my tablet, my wireless charger.

I may need to buy her a case of wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom